PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a slow Ipad 2?

dennis thompson
12-12-2015, 9:38 AM
I have an pad 2 which is getting very slow. I don't know much about computers but in poking around under settings-safari--advanced-website data , I come to an area which contains what seems to be all the websites I have ever visited.
It gives me the options of removing these websites, my question is:
-if I remove it all what will happen? I assume I will have to login again to those sites that require a login, any other ramifications?
Thanks

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-12-2015, 9:41 AM
Buy an Ipad Air 2 ;)
That's what I did for my wife.

I think that the biggest issue is all the updates that Apple has added over the years.
Older Ipads are running the same OS as the new ones, but have a lot less processing power.

Gail Ludwig
12-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Close all the applications you don't use. They suck power from your system. To close the apps, double click the button and then "flick" each open app window to the top of the ipad. This will close the apps you are not using. Google this if you don't understand the flick movement. I also find it helpful to shutdown and restart my pad every week or so. Seems to clear things out and speeds up the system. Lots of other things you can do..... but try this first.

Myk Rian
12-12-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm an Android guy, sooo..
After all those updates, wouldn't it be a good idea to do a factory reset?
In other words, Erase the ipad and start all over again.
We call it a factory reset.

Shawn Pixley
12-12-2015, 12:20 PM
I also use an iPad 2. I find that any slowness on my machine is usually due to visiting websites that also have their own App (CNN, Facebook, etc.). The way the websites do push advetising with a 2 minute refresh chews up the loading of the content you are seeking. If you must visit those types of sites, I find the App works better (even though I hate the necessity). I restart once a week or so an keep it synched and updated. I recommend turning over all background functions thataren't being used (location services etc.).

Charlie Velasquez
12-12-2015, 4:45 PM
Buy an Ipad Air 2 ;)
That's what I did for my wife.

I think that the biggest issue is all the updates that Apple has added over the years.
Older Ipads are running the same OS as the new ones, but have a lot less processing power.

I have an pad 2 which is getting very slow. I don't know much about computers but in poking around under settings-safari--advanced-website data , I come to an area which contains what seems to be all the websites I have ever visited.
It gives me the options of removing these websites, my question is:
-if I remove it all what will happen? I assume I will have to login again to those sites that require a login, any other ramifications?
Thanks
I am assuming you are running either iOS 8.xx or 9.x(x), as am I. If so, we are at the tail end of our iPads' usefulness. The iPad2 is the oldest device still capable of running the iOS updates.

Within those updates were several algorithms that worked well with the newer devices, but not so well with our older A5 processors. A couple of annoying bugs are the way it handles javascript, and how it handles memory overloads. If you could downgrade to iOS 7, you would see increases in speed, but probably lose functionality of some apps... But you can't downgrade.

You have probably noticed lags in apps coming up, keying in text, web pages having problems and reloading (Turning off javascript in Safari's advanced settings stops this, but then a lot of web pages are useless), various apps crashing.

Some have said 9.2, just released a couple of days ago, addresses some of these issues on the iPad2, but I have purposefully waited to read the reviews. As mentioned above, a newer iPad may be in your future.

PS- if you have been having problems with web pages having problems and reloading a lot, no one on any of the Apple forums have found a permanent solution.

Many have found that removing website data, going in to network settings and resetting (losing all your network passwords), then a hard shutdown and restart will eliminate the problem for a couple of days. I have found just a hard restart does it for about that time, also.