PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Nails

David Ragan
12-12-2015, 9:16 AM
Hi All,

In the ongoing framing of Bathroom mirror with trim:

The decorative trim will be glued/siliconed to a small backer piece that surrounds the mirror. Backer piece will be thin, long painted scrap.

Of course, the sheetrock and mirror on it are not in the same plane. Anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8" step off; this final backer/mirror relationship has to be consistent.

I plan on using Liquid Nails to adhere the backer piece to the sheetrock.

My question is............... How long will I need to let the Liquid Nails cure if, in some areas, it will need to do perhaps 1/8" to 3/16" gap filling duty?

This is not structural.

(BTW, I got the Silicone adhesive advised a few weeks ago, and ran a sample on glass-very strong, enough for my purposes. Am not sure I have enough Silicone to use for the above question.)

As always, thank you

David

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-12-2015, 9:22 AM
I would try to scribe the backer to the sheetrock so that any gaps are minimal.
The thicker the liquid nails is, the longer it takes to cure. The outside forms a skin, and the inside can stay soft for a long time.

David Ragan
12-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Ah, you mean secure with fastener to high spots on sheetrock, and don't worry about gaps underneath?

Rich Engelhardt
12-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Liquid Nails brand adhesive doesn't have a lot of initial tack and/or holding strength.
Loctite Power Grab has a lot more tack and holding power.

Take the above with a grain of salt since it's been three years since I used either.

Liquid Nails may have come out with something better.
So could a lot of people.

I'v just had a lot of good luck with Power Grab over anything else.

Tom M King
12-13-2015, 12:12 PM
327082PowerGrab is good stuff. I built this coffered ceiling with MDF, and PowerGrab. I believe I even recommended it on that mirror thread. It cleans up with water while it's still wet.

David Ragan
12-14-2015, 7:18 AM
I have two tubes of Power Grab. The label says not to use in water environs. Could it be that the humidity of the average BR is overrated?

Let me ask another question:

Powergrab is so good I wont need to pin nail the trim till it sets?

Sounds like I need to run a test piece of Powergrab tonight. My first test piece of silicone on glass was A+

Rich Engelhardt
12-15-2015, 7:37 AM
I had a piece of plastic trim along the edge of some ceramic tile I used Power Grab on.
The tile was on the tub side of a - I don't know what it's called....
The tub was built into a small alcove and there's a small section above the front of the tub that comes down about 10 inches from the ceiling....the plastic trim is stuck along the bottom edge of that.
All the steam and whatnot from the tub/shower hits it directly along with some water.
It's been up there now since 2009.

My first attempt at putting the trim up ended badly. I tried to "pile the Power Grab on" and used a whole bunch of it. When it dried a few days later, the trim fell down.
I cut a new piece of trim and stuck it up with just enough Power Grab to hold it in place. That worked great.

Tom M King
12-15-2015, 12:26 PM
There are several varieties of PowerGrab. Some specifically for tub surrounds, and some for exterior use.

Rich Engelhardt
12-17-2015, 10:42 AM
I use the Ultimate or the All Purpose Express

David Ragan
12-17-2015, 11:50 AM
I took a closer look on Amazon, and ordered some of the stuff intended for tub use......