PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt compact router

Dave Lehnert
12-11-2015, 7:45 PM
Interested in the Dewalt compact router kit with plunge base.
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/woodworking-routers-dwp611pk.aspx
I noticed the plunge base in the compact router kit accept the same edge guide that my Full size Dewalt router kit accepts
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW6913-Router-Adjustment-Adaptor/dp/B00002232W/ref=pd_sim_469_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41E-aph0DrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1H4N4RTXXTQQ054JQTEK
Full size kit I own.
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/woodworking-routers-dw618b3.aspx

My question- How much smaller is the compact router with plunge base vs my full size router with plunge base? Maybe I only need the compact router with standard base and not the plunge base. Looking for a trim router but plunge base may be useful also ?????
Hard to tell as I can not find any photos online side by side to compare.

Randy Henry
12-11-2015, 8:00 PM
Get the kit. I use the plunge base for just about everything. It's my go-to router if I'm using 1/4" bits. I'd also order both dust collection hook-ups while you are ordering it. Dewalt also makes a self centering cone for centering the base plates that is nice if you are doing fine work where precision is important.

pat warner
12-11-2015, 8:37 PM
In my view, bizarre.
The fixed base (611) is ~4".
The plunger, ~5.7".
I don't see a heck of a lot of space prowess with the 611 set.
There is a weight savings. The 618 plunger is one of the heaviest.
They made the 611 for competitive reasons, not necessarily practical.
Amazing how they all miss the mark in favor of sales & marketing, not the user.

Eric Schmid
12-11-2015, 8:53 PM
The base sizes for the plunge bases are in the specs in the links you posted at the bottom of the page. Your current router is listed at 6" and the compact at 4.375 x 5.75". The compact router motor is probably 50-60% the size of the 2.25HP and half the weight. The compact with the fixed base is a great trim router for the money. It's going to be limited as a general purpose router, however; small motor, 1/4" collet, light weight. I just have the fixed base and only use it as a trim router; mostly for shallow edge profiles, round overs and bevels. It's nimble enough to freehand with. It does have a great weight to power ratio so I could see using it on light plunge work if a second or third route was not already in the kit.

Dave Zellers
12-11-2015, 9:28 PM
Another vote for getting the kit. I bought the kit and then a year later bought a 2nd motor as so many others have done. Both the fixed and plunge versions of the 611 are just so incredibly handy. I had to fit about a dozen RP door blanks into existing openings last year (replacing hollow core doors with RP) and after setting up the fixed 611 for the hinge template and the plunge for the strike, it was easy peasy to do the doors at my own pace. The dust control on the plunge was perfect.

Since this will be a second router, I highly recommend it. Those folks with only one router :eek: need to get one that accepts both 1/4 and 1/2 inch shanks.

Mike Henderson
12-12-2015, 12:22 AM
I have two of the DeWalt 611 kits. It's a good trim router. I haven't tried to use it for heavy work, but I remember my first Craftsman router, which only took 1/4" bits and probably was not more than 1 1/2 HP - and I was able to do regular router work with it. But the newer 2 1/4 HP routers which take 1/2" bits are better of heavy work.

The DeWalt is a good router. I really like the light - helps you see what you are doing.

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
12-12-2015, 7:01 AM
611 PK- - Handy and a fair amount of power!
I have nothing to compare it too so I'm probably not biased.

I really like mine a lot

I messed up and forgot to do the shelf pin holes in a cabinet before I put it together.
No problem for the 611 plunger - it was light and nimble enough to route the holes on the inside of the cabinet working horizontal within the confines of the cabinet.
There's no way a larger/heavier router could have done that.

Jamie Buxton
12-12-2015, 10:23 AM
I bought the plunge base, but rarely use it. As others have noted, it is only a little smaller than a full-sized router (mine's a festool 1400). Also, the design of the dust collection is bad. It is a bunch of pieces you screw on the base. You have to unscrew them to change the bit. And you cannot see what you're doing with them in place. All in all, it is easier to use the bigger festool when plunging. So my use of the DeWalt is the little stuff done with the fixed base -- flush trimming edgebanding, little roundovers, and the like. It does see a lot of use doing that.

John McClanahan
12-12-2015, 11:03 AM
I have the kit, too. I think the dust collection problem is part of a tradeoff of the smaller size. The plus is the smaller, lighter weight makes the router easier to handle.

John

Michael Zerance
12-13-2015, 10:24 AM
I bought one a while ago and ended up returning it. It felt top heavy to me and was not comfortable to use. I picked up a pair of Bosch Colts and have been happy.

Jamie Buxton
12-13-2015, 11:46 AM
... I think the dust collection problem is part of a tradeoff of the smaller size...

I think the problem is that companies still think of dust collection as something you add on after you design the tool. If instead they designed it in from the beginning, dust collection would work better. For example, the DeWalt 621 plunge router. Elu started with the idea that the sawdust would get sucked up the plunge post. The result is that you can actually see the bit while you're working. Or another, the Festool track saws. The design started with dust collection, and it works very well.

Tony Joyce
12-13-2015, 1:14 PM
Size: DW618 vs DWP611

Dave Lehnert
12-13-2015, 5:50 PM
Size: DW618 vs DWP611
Thanks, Just what I was looking for.
Have to say I am surprised with the plunge base. Looks to me little to no difference in size.