PDA

View Full Version : Early Christmas Present

Clay Fails
12-11-2015, 7:06 PM
Today Santa's elf delivered a huge crate with a Robust American Beauty Lathe inside! Moving logistics are such that it will not be moved into my shop until tomorrow, so for now it sits all wrapped up and crated. By 9:00 am tomorrow morning she will be in the shop and the uncrating will begin. Sleep may be fleeting tonight. My first lathe, and I'm really excited..........

Hayes Rutherford
12-11-2015, 8:00 PM
Congratulations Clay. I would turn something while it was still in the crate!

Joe Bradshaw
12-11-2015, 8:03 PM
Well, you certainly avoided the moving up to a bigger and better lathe syndrome. Be prepared to spend some quality time uncrating it. Brent's crating crew seems to operate on the theory that if one nail is good, 10 are better. It took 2 of us to uncrate a Liberty. You will enjoy it.
Joe

Michael Mason
12-11-2015, 8:12 PM
Congratulations! I got my Beauty about this same time last year. I have enjoyed every minute of turning on it. You won't be disappointed. Make sure and post some pics!

daryl moses
12-11-2015, 8:50 PM
Congrats on a great lathe. Santa was good to you!!!

Clay Fails
12-11-2015, 9:18 PM
Thanks guys. Yep, Brent and his crew are serious when it comes to packaging! I have been making rectilinear things (mostly furniture) for quite a while, but I fear all those tools may get lonely as I get acquainted with turning. It's part of the journey, and it's all good!

Steve Doerr
12-11-2015, 9:32 PM
Clay, congrats and Merry Christmas. I got mine in Aug 2014. It's a GREAT machine and you will definitely be putting your flatwork on the back burner.

Rick Gibson
12-11-2015, 9:32 PM
So since it's not in the shop it must be outside if you send my your address I could maybe pay a 3am visit. Contrats. from what I have seen and heard that is a lathe you will be very happy with and likely never have to go through the upgrade blues like the rest of us.

John Keeton
12-12-2015, 6:40 AM
Wow! Your FIRST lathe. You did it right. Congrats!

Bill Bulloch
12-12-2015, 7:25 AM
Oh no ... don't you dare open that. Move it in the house and put it under the tree until Christmas like the rest of us have to do. Congratulations.

William Bachtel
12-12-2015, 7:47 AM
I also have one that is in the crate, it sure is a pretty crate. I am in the process of re arranging my shop. Not going to tell you how long its been here, you wood get mad at me. I will be turning on the American Beauty soon. For now I will continue to turn on a 3520 b Powermatic.

William C Rogers
12-12-2015, 8:10 AM
Congrats! What a first lathe! What a way to start. Congrats again.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2015, 9:40 AM
Congrats Clay! You are going to love it!! Looking forward to the photos!!

Peter Blair
12-12-2015, 9:51 AM
Very cool for a new lathe. You sure started at the top. I don't know about you but the anticipation is often as much fun as the end result but in this case like a lot of gifts, I'm sure it will just keep on giving . . . lots of fun. Enjoy and Merry Christmas Clay!!!!!

carl mesaros
12-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Congratulations!
You did it right the first time! I'm on my third lathe and still not at the top.
Enjoy!

Jeffrey J Smith
12-12-2015, 3:07 PM
congratulations Clay - you're going to love it, there's nothing like it. I really must complain about your complete lack of proper lathe acquisition protocol, though. I had thought that it was necessary to start on a crappy little sears or HF lathe and when you're about to throw it out the door, start acquiring slightly larger lathes and, of course a boatload of tools and equipment, until you finally wind up cashing in what's left of your retirement to get the Robust AB.

Man, did I ever screw up.

Roger Chandler
12-12-2015, 4:12 PM
Congrats on the American Beauty, Clay........big leagues right off the bat! I have turned on one, although I don't own one :( ........yet at least! :D Enjoy the holidays with your new toy!

Jebediah Eckert
12-12-2015, 4:50 PM
Good "starter" lathe :D

I'd love to see some pictures of the move to the shop, I crating, and setup.

Clay Fails
12-12-2015, 8:38 PM
IMG_4906.JPG
IMG_4910.JPG

i hope these photos upload correctly. Uncrating and setup went smoothly. Now the fun begins!

Clay Fails
12-12-2015, 8:41 PM
I know my lathe acquisition path is not typical. I wanted to start with my dream machine, and I am fortunate to be able to do so. Having trouble uploading photos for some reason. Will continue trying. So far the process has been seamless..........

Jeffrey J Smith
12-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Clay - when you're uploading images, don't neglect to hit the 'upload image' button at the bottom of the dialog box. More often than naught, that's my problem.
Regardless of your blatant lack of observance of the 'proper lathe acquisition protocol;), the AB will serve you very well. It's a great lathe. I know the tool is only as good as the turner, but starting on a great tool allows you to bypass the frustration of trying to overcome the deficits of a less-than-steller tool. That's been my experience. The superior ergonomics and great design of the AB makes turning a joy. The tool disappears and the making becomes the important part of the process.
In hindsight, I wish I had gone straight to my AB once I decided turning is where my passion resides.

Aaron Craven
12-13-2015, 7:03 PM
congratulations Clay - you're going to love it, there's nothing like it. I really must complain about your complete lack of proper lathe acquisition protocol, though. I had thought that it was necessary to start on a crappy little sears or HF lathe and when you're about to throw it out the door, start acquiring slightly larger lathes and, of course a boatload of tools and equipment, until you finally wind up cashing in what's left of your retirement to get the Robust AB.

Man, did I ever screw up.

Apparently, so did I... I'm all the way at the start of the traditional protocol with my handy HF #34706...

Clay Fails
12-14-2015, 7:53 AM
I finally figured out how to upload; the file sizes were too large. Anyway, here is how she sits in the shop at this point.

John K Jordan
12-14-2015, 8:04 AM
My first lathe, and I'm really excited..........

Wow! I thought it was a law that all turners had to start with crappy lathes, struggle for a while, then get a better lathe. Look at the "good old days" memories you are missing. Think of the character-building opportunities lost.

You won't even know what you are missing. Maybe you should set it up and leave it covered with a drop cloth and make run to Home Depot and see if they still sell those tube lathes, copies of the old Craftsman. Or at least have a little respect for tradition and find an old worn out min on Craigslist. :-)

JKJ

John Keeton
12-14-2015, 8:22 AM
Clay, I am nearly impressed as much with your shop as your lathe! It appears you have a huge compressed air distribution manifold and really thought thru running your dust collection and other systems thru the floor. NICE!!

Patrick McCarthy
12-14-2015, 9:58 AM
Clay, I am nearly impressed as much with your shop as your lathe! It appears you have a huge compressed air distribution manifold and really thought thru running your dust collection and other systems thru the floor. NICE!!

Oh, so that is what the manifold is; I I was trying to figure it out and the only thing I thought of was maybe pex and water lines, which I have only see in magazines. Out here in the wild west I have only seen copper. Either way, seriously nice lathe! BUT what is the foot pedal for? My son's jet 1642(?) has a variable speed knob (hand control) but don't recall seeing a foot switch - if that is what it is - before.

enjoy, patrick

Patrick McCarthy
12-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Clay, don't know your level of experience, but if you don't have a turning mentor, you might consider signing up for one of John Keeton's classes to get you jump started on the lathe; I would if I were a bit closer or could get a longer kitchen pass from the boss lady. Just a thought.
Best, patrick

Hayes Rutherford
12-14-2015, 11:49 AM
John, I'm sure Clay will explain better, it looks like hydronic heat. Mine uses many of the same components in a slightly different arrangement.

mike pockoski
12-14-2015, 1:42 PM
wow...congratulations. got a good laugh on this threat about proper acquisition protocols... we're all just jealous.

and is that radiant floor heating in the shop? now i'm super jealous!!! in another couple weeks i'll be turning in a full zip-up polar suit and thermals, and the water off the blank freezes on my face shield!

can't wait to see some turned pieces from that beauty.

Rich Sabulsky
12-14-2015, 2:42 PM
You cant go wrong with this. I'm not sure how far up into the NE Corner of PA you are, but there a few AB owners near you for sure, and lots of great master level turners that can help you on your journey. Bill Grumbine (AB owner) and David Ellsworth (likely your AB dealer?) are an easy drive from most of the NEPA area and provide instruction.

Best of luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes off of your new lathe!

Clay Fails
12-14-2015, 9:43 PM
Thanks to all for the positive input. I'm located in northwest PA, near Erie (the town name of North East is misleading). I would love to get some hands on training, as close to home as possible. We have an AAW chapter here, which I will check out after the holidays.

Yes, my shop has in-floor hydronic radiant heat which was an important design feature when I built the space a few years ago. I work all winter in shorts and short sleeves, which keeps me in the shop way more than wifey really likes. I picked up a bunch of Thompson tools and have all the sharpening systems I need. Now I'm ready to climb the turning learning curve.

Peter Blair
12-14-2015, 9:53 PM
OMG you must have been a really good Boy!!

Peter Blair
12-14-2015, 9:55 PM
Just wish you were closer! I'd love to have the chance to work with you and your Christmas toy!!

Len Mullin
12-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Clay, congrats on the new lathe, now though I hope you realize that, you can't blame it on the lathe.
Len