PDA

View Full Version : Broken headstock repair

Stan Calow
12-11-2015, 6:19 PM
I have a chance to purchase a new Epiphone 335 that is in great shape, very cheap. Problem is the headstock has a clean break across the grain, with the D and G tuners separated from the rest of the headstock. I am wondering what the survival rate of this kind of repair is, and what the preferred method for reinforcing the joint. I don't have a good photo to share. I know this is not a high end guitar, but it would be worth making it playable if I can get a dependable repair.

Mark Kornell
12-12-2015, 2:15 AM
I'm not a guitar maker (just a long-time guitar player), but I think that should be easily repairable by adding a few hardwood dowels or a loose tenon (got a Domino?) in the joint and then glue and refinish.

I'm trying to envision a scenario where that type of break occurs without significant damage to the rest of the guitar...

Mike Malott
12-12-2015, 10:29 AM
The Epiphone guitars manufactured in and shipping from China experience a fair amount of shipping damage and show up regularly on ebay.

That said, I have purchased a ES339 PRO and a P93 Riviera, both with a crack at the nut for <$200 each..

They play well as is and are a great buy at $200-ish. I may repair mine, if/when i get around to it.

You should google spline headstock repair for the professional approach to such repairs.

Refinishing to hide the repair is the real trick!

Mike

Stan Calow
12-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys. I can get this one for <$75 which is why I am considering gambling on the repair. I had done some googling for repairs like this, but must not have used the best wording.

Mike Malott
12-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Stan,

$75 is a no brainer!

Mike

Stan Calow
12-13-2015, 9:25 AM
Stan,

$75 is a no brainer!

Mike
Apparently I have no brain. It was gone when I went to close the deal.

Jim Creech
12-14-2015, 8:31 AM
The repair itself is fairly simple. The hard part is the cosmetics. The finish they use on most imports is not compatible with anything available in the US so touch-up is pretty much a "Best Effort"!

Mark Greenbaum
12-14-2015, 1:17 PM
If it's a clean break, it a very simple fix. I would use Titebond I glue and clamp - the glue is stronger than the wood when it cures. Remove any parts in the way, and let it set properly before reassembling. Or just pack it up and send it to me. :-)

Julie Moriarty
12-15-2015, 8:06 AM
Uncle Dan may be able to help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DwA56TKWq8

Stan Calow
12-15-2015, 4:31 PM
Thanks for input. I can see the glue-up would be easy, just wasn't sure if the string tension would be more than the repair could take. Next time I will give it a try.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2015, 4:38 PM
Worst case scenario....if the repair fails buy a new neck.

It would surely be worth the $75 and more IMO.