PDA

View Full Version : How to cut?

Tyler Olson
12-11-2015, 2:31 PM
Hello everyone

I am very new to the wood milling world. A friend of mine gave me some large piece of wood to use, but i am not sure how to cut it to usable sizes. I have talked to a few mills in my area and they do not have the ability to cut them due to size so I was hope i might find help here doing it myself. Both Piece are 35" -46" Dim and range from 5" - 12" think. Ant help would be appreciated.

John Sanford
12-11-2015, 4:52 PM
"Usable size" depends entirely on what you plan on using it for. As an example, you could build a "router sled" leveling fixture, rout the "top" of the one fully visible in the pciture level, put some standoffs into it, and put a glass top on it. voila, usable just as is to make a large coffee table.

Conversely, if you want to make a set of large matching pub tables, you would likely want to slice the piece like a banana. To do that you'd probably need a skilled chainsaw artisan to come in from one or two sides, slicing off rounds.

Tyler Olson
12-11-2015, 5:16 PM
I would like to cut them down to 2" thickness but i like the idea about the glass top. and i would like to do the cutting myself. what kind of chainsaw would one need?

Todd Burch
12-11-2015, 6:10 PM
Depends. You'll need a chainsaw with a bar at least 1/2 the diameter of the biggest piece you want to cut. And that prescription is for free handing it.

Tyler Olson
12-11-2015, 6:30 PM
Is there any jig i can build to aid in cutting?

Todd Burch
12-11-2015, 6:56 PM
You can build or buy a chainsaw slabbing attachment. That will require a bar with a length > the largest round you want to cut. Videos all over Youtube about slabbing mills.

Bob Coates
12-11-2015, 6:57 PM
Here is one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JCwwCxkROw
by Reed Gray.

ryan paulsen
12-12-2015, 7:58 AM
Maybe start with what you plan to do with the pieces? Rounds like you have look really neat and are tempting to try to work with, but are prone to splitting and other problems. Nothing wrong with that, just be aware.

As far as slicing, I'm assuming your friend cut them with a chainsaw, maybe just borrow that? Obviously it was big enough to make it through. Like mentioned, you would need a saw more than half the diameter, although you will be giving the saw a workout if you completely bury it. Watch for kickback. Also, give yourself plenty of waste on the cut, you will need it if you want to smooth the rounds when you're done.

Robert Engel
12-12-2015, 8:16 AM
You don't say what tools you have like a jointer or planer but if it were me, I would try splitting them, then flatten the faces and square an edge.
Then resaw them on a bandsaw.

I think a chainsaw will waste too much wood and be very difficult to get a good cut unless you spend $$ on a guide system.

If you don't have jointer and planer you've got your work cut out for you.

Tyler Olson
12-12-2015, 12:50 PM
I do have a small jointer and a 20" planner. Again i am very new to wood working world. How would one split them and bring them back together? and my plan with these is to make a few tables.

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far.

Cody Colston
12-13-2015, 8:02 PM
and my plan with these is to make a few tables.

I'm assuming you are planning to use the rounds for table tops? As Ryan noted above, they will crack. In fact, that one pictured looks to have checked at the pith already. I would use the cracks as a design feature. Maybe add a couple of butterfly inlays to help stabilize them.

As for slicing off the rounds, you need a big chainsaw, a big sawmill or a friend willing to work one end of a misery whip...that's logging talk for a two-man crosscut saw. Once you get the rounds sliced off and dried (they will crack when drying), a router and flattening jig would be the way I would approach it. Just be aware that you will be working with end grain which can be difficult.

Tom Deutsch
12-15-2015, 10:36 AM
You have a 20" planer but you are new to woodworking? Wow. Be careful! "Usable sizes" depends entirely on what you'd like to do with them. +1 on all the previous comments about the difficulty of working with end grain. Can you see yourself cutting bow ties into the splits? Sounds advanced to me. Rounds like that make great firewood, typically. What species are these bull's eyes?