PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

Arthur Fleming
12-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Hi, I'm very close to buying my first CNC machine. I have it narrowed down to the ShopSabre 23, and the CAMaster Stinger 1, with the Probotix Meteor as a dark horse. The 23 and the Stinger seem almost identical machines to me, and I believe I'd be happy with either one. The Meteor wins on cost, hands down. At this time my primary desire for the CNC machine is to drill holes for cribbage boards, but I'm already planning out some hope chests. I have no CNC experience, and all of my knowledge and thoughts are based on what I've read on the forums and the like. So please, if you are inclined, please give me your thoughts/opinions/comments. Thank you, Artie

Keith Westfall
12-10-2015, 11:52 PM
I have the Meteor, and I make crib boards. I am happy with it!

Know nothing about any other machine, as this one is my first, and introduction to CNC.

I bought what I could afford, and so far, don't regret it. It came ready to run, and no problems yet... 6 - 7 months and counting...

Arthur Fleming
12-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Thank you for the reply, I certainly don't have a problem with having $5K to spend elsewhere.

Keith Outten
12-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Arthur,

The Camaster machines are all welded frames, something that places their machines in another level IMO.

They have a special going till the end of the year:

From now until the end of the year, just got this information from an email they sent:

CAMaster will take 10% off all upgrades and options on any machine purchase (http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=bdb27896-3d72-43ed-82dd-4dc4faffc485&c=3df801e0-51de-11e3-8074-d4ae529a8250&ch=3fa98270-51de-11e3-8075-d4ae529a8250). CAMaster looks forward to starting a New Year and relationship with you and your business. Broaden your horizons and set your shop apart from the others. Give us a call to see how you can put a new CAMaster CNC Router to work for you in 2016.

Bruce Page
12-11-2015, 12:35 AM
I have the stinger 1 with 1.7kw spindle and it's been great. It's basically an industrial level router designed to work all day, everyday. I think any of the machines you list will drill holes well.

david minnery
12-11-2015, 2:08 AM
I bought a Stinger I, with a PC router 2 years ago. Previously I had another brand that was half the price. I use the Stinger in a professional shop and it's very, very good. Stout, well designed and customer support has been great.
When I upgrade, it will be another camaster.

Chad Fitzgerald
12-11-2015, 9:29 AM
I have a shopsabre RC4. very happy with it. welded steel frame, built solid. i compared the camaster and shopsabre as well, went with shopsabre due to the fact that they are very comparable machines but with camaster you have to buy upgrades to get the same machine that shopsabre comes as standard. at least that is how it was a few months ago when i bought my shopsabre. i got more bang for my buck without sacrificing quality.
before the sale shopsabre was very good with answering all my questions, and after the sale they have been one of the best companies i have ever dealt with when it comes to tech help and response.
Chad

Art Mann
12-11-2015, 10:35 AM
I agree that the ShopSabre and Camaster apparently came from the same heritage. I bought the Stinger for several reasons. First of all, I live about 2 hours from the factory. Consequently, I was able to pick up the machine at the factory and pay no freight. Prior to that, I had taken a tour of the place and watched the Stingers being built. The construction is truly industrial grade. I got to know a few of the technical staff and they are some nice and very capable people. I now belong to the "Camheads" on line support forum, which is sponsored by the company. You can get simple to technically advanced support from both Camaster employees and some really smart professional users. Shopbot is the only other company I know of who provides that level of technical help. I suggest you locate the "Camheads" website and see for yourself.

I would just like to say a few words about the level of machine you might select. I started out as a hobbiest with the idea I might sell a few things. After a year of ownership and experience, the word got out that I build nicely carved personalized gifts like cutting boards, trivets, coasters and boxes. In the last few weeks, I have been spending more time in the shop than I would really like to. I very much wish I had spent the extra money for a higher performance machine, or at least a real spindle rather than a router. In fact, my one regret buying the Camaster is that I didn't buy a Stinger II or III. I am very glad I put out the money for a professional grade machine.

Ross Moshinsky
12-11-2015, 11:32 AM
The first important thing to know about CNC machines is only part of the total purchase price. You have to invest in dust collection, software, a computer, and bits. That can easily add up to a $1000 so keep that in mind.

As for what you're looking to do, just about any CNC machine can do it. When you buy something like a Probotix, you're buying a high end hobby machine or a low level industrial machine. When you buy a ShopSabre or a CAMaster, you're buying a solid industrial machine.

Last thing to mention is having CNC experience is not the most important thing in the world. It helps cut the learning curve but what is important is knowing how to use CAD type software. If you can't draw what you want to make, you're going to have a hard time using a CNC machine.

james mcgrew
12-11-2015, 12:09 PM
camheads.org says what you need to hear,, remember it is a forum for CAMaster owners, there is a reason there are thousands of stingers vs any other in its class.

I have owned 6 CAMasters and there is a reason for that too !

Jerome Stanek
12-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Get the biggest that you can afford and the space you have will allow. sooner or later you will be making signs and a bigger unit is easier for that also you can glue up larger blanks and cut multiples out on a bigger table.

Bruce Page
12-11-2015, 2:07 PM
The first important thing to know about CNC machines is only part of the total purchase price. You have to invest in dust collection, software, a computer, and bits. That can easily add up to a $1000 so keep that in mind.

I can't speak to the others but the Camaster price includes PC, monitor, and Vectric's CUT 2D software. I upgraded to Vectric's V-Carve Pro when I placed my order. You do need to add cutters. A dust collector is also needed. I initially tried to get by using my shop-vac because I didn't want to listen to my DC running for hours at a time. The shop-vac (Fein T3) just didn't have enough Wheaties to do the job.

Join the Camheads forum and ask questions.

Jerome Stanek
12-11-2015, 3:34 PM
I wouldn't count the Shopbot buddy out as you can start with the smaller table and then get a longer power stick

Arthur Fleming
12-11-2015, 4:57 PM
Thank you everyone for your time and opinions. Where I work we have an almost unlimited supply of wooden skids and pallets. My goal is to make cribbage boards out of the skids and sell them for a 25$ donation to the Wounded Warrior Project or St. Jude's Children's Hospital. A good cause gets some money, and I have fun making them, my only costs are electricity/time/bits/blades, and some poly (after buying the machines of course LOL). I also want to make my future daughter in law a hope chest,and this also means one for the Missus. If or when I get competent, I'm sure I'm gonna branch out and get more evolved. Basically I'm just gonna be a hobbyist, but right now is kinda a one time only, ability to buy a really nice toy (invest in my mental health). There is a lot to think about buying a Probotix, and putting the 5K$ onto a new car as a down payment. I have no experience with a CNC machine, and almost everything I know is from reading on the web/forums. The ShopSabre, and the Stinger are both dimensionally the same, both welded steel frames, both come with a preloaded, and tested pc and monitor, both companies are too far away from me up here in Ma. For location to make a difference. I'm pricing them each with the table for them, the aircooled spindle, and the dust collection system, spindle control, touch plate, both come with Vectric cut2d, and from all my reading Vcarve Pro is a no brainer. The two real differences that stick in my head is the ShopSabre has ball screw drives on all 3 axi's, while the Stinger has ball screw on only the Z axis, rack and pinion on the X, and Y axi's. The Stinger does come with a counter balance for the Z axis (it's optional, but I am pricing it that way). I have no idea how much of an impact these two differences make. I'm fairly certain either of them will do what I want, for a very long time, and after I'm gone my kid is gonna have to do something with a very heavy piece of machinery in the basement LOL. I am in the process of refi-ing the mortgage, and when that is done I will have a solid number of what my finances will be for this, it looks like I could buy either one right now. So this is why I'm trolling for opinions, I'm pretty sure of exactly how I want each machine optioned, it might just come down to price. On the Probotix side, the work I have seen several people here produce on them is beyond what I would ever hope to do, they are lighter (a plus on the moving around occasions), and about $5K less. What has given me some concerns is on their forum, there seems to be a limit switch problem, green ones versus black ones. If I'm jumping in green, my lack of experience is working against me as far as troubleshooting, and fixing a machine. I have been reading the CamHeads Forum, seems like a whole bunch of happy satisfied customers. I have not heard anything but positives for the ShopSabre, just a lesser number of them. I will listen to all opinions, and should a decision get made will, I will post it and why. Thank you again, Artie

Bruce Page
12-11-2015, 6:24 PM
IIRC, the Camaster counter balance is included in the price of the spindle upgrade. It does require 30-35 psi to operate.

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-11-2015, 8:29 PM
I would not consider the Probotix to be a high end hobby machine. More of a mid range machine. You can buy a kit and build a bigger, better machine for less money. If you can afford the Camaster, it's a far superior machine to the Probotix.

William Adams
12-11-2015, 10:13 PM
A ShapeOko user made a cribbage board: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7254

There was another: http://imgur.com/a/rm3nl