PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip, Rust hunting

steven c newman
12-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Well, more of a road trip than an actual rust hunt. Took a while to find the fella's house, and pick up the two planes I "won" for about ....fifty cents each.

When the directions involve...turn off the paved road....
Any way, a pair of smoothers. One made by Millers Falls and sold as a Mohawk-Shelburne. Right down to the red paint on half of the lever cap.

The second plane needs a few things in the way of parts.
It has a tapered, 2" wide iron. Needs a chipbreaker(might have one) and a lever cap (might have one), the horn on the rear handle needs fixed.
Oh, and on the nose of this wooden smoother? Ohio Tool Co. No. 035.
Knob has a small chip out in it's base. Otherwise, it is intact. Sole looks good
lateral lever needs re-bent, somebody had flattened it out. Frog is loose, no biggie
maybe this be an Ohio Jenny???:confused:

steven c newman
12-11-2015, 6:17 PM
Cleaned the Ohio Tool Co. No.035 up. The "Japanning" is a brown colour, not black. Had to replace the screw that holds the knob. Rest of the bolts and screws cleaned up nicely
Cleaned what was left of the finish on the wood parts off. Sole is now flat and cleaned up
Couple of stains is all. Flattened and sharpened the tapered iron, mated a chipbreaker to it, had an old Stanley lever cap (for now). Set up some walnut to try to make some shavings on
Not too hateful. Yes, the japanning was brown
Best place to find THAT out is under the frameworks. Even the frog was brown..
Straight part is straightened back out, the end is twisted back to where it is supposed to be.
The replaced knob screw
The shiny one is the new one. I also had to shorten it a bit. The original was too chewed up to re-use.
One plane is about done, still have the second one to go...Fifty cents each? yep, I'd go pick another plane up for that price....

steven c newman
12-11-2015, 11:59 PM
And now for the second plane of today..
This was after cleaning up the frog, all the bolts and repainting the base. handles came painted black.
Sides and sole were cleaned and flattened. It does have a few pits from rust, nothing major
Iron was polished up and flattened on the back, edge was sharpened up @25 degrees. Basically tossed the old lever cap....way too rough of a casting. Chipbreaker needed a bit of work to get it to sit flat on the iron..
I had a spare lever cap the right size.

Been a busy day. I also changed out a light fixture in the Burnt Room ( old one was a little toasty) and trimmed around the burnt out closet door opening. Mitresaw was one of them hand-powered "cordless" types.
Busy, busy, busy......might take tomorrow "off"?

steven c newman
12-12-2015, 11:41 PM
The Mohawk-Shelburne line was Millers Falls second line. Seems to work as well as my Millers Falls No.9 and is the same size. Not sure IF I want to strip that black paint off the handles. They are wood, just not sure what kind.

The Ohio Tool Co. No. 035 has the Auburn NY stamp on the toe. Not sure what lever cap should be on it, right now it has a Stanley one from a No. 26. Been using the No.26 as a Parts Plane, anyway. happen to have the Sargent 3416 to take it's place. Iron on the No.035 is tapered, and is stamped for the Ohio Tool Co. Auburn NY USA When I get around to it, I'll add a finish to the wood works.

Question: The ironworks for the 035 seems to have been Japanned a Brown colour.....was it straight Brown, or did it have some Red in it? Anyone know what style of lever cap went on these 035s? I do have an older plain jane lever cap. Will need to go back and use a jointer plane to flatten the sole a bit better.

$1 for the pair is what these planes cost me....as for the three hours in the central Ohio countryside? Just a sight-seeing excursion,never been to some of those towns. I was also scoping out for any Antique stores along the way...

Jim Koepke
12-13-2015, 12:41 AM
...as for the three hours in the central Ohio countryside? Just a sight-seeing excursion,never been to some of those towns. I was also scoping out for any Antique stores along the way...

Good ol' fashioned rust hunting 101.

jtk

steven c newman
12-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Might have the No.035 about done...for now
Chipbreaker and lever cap from the spares box
Brass is shiny, threads on it are Right hand.
Waiting on the oil finish to stop soaking into the very DRY woodworks. Fifty cent plane?
Been giving the Mohawk a workout lately

Even on end grain. I cleaned things up, after the cambered jack plane had scrubbed a panel flat
Going at the diagonals, first. Even some edge grain work..
There is two boards in the vise, trying to get them to match each other.
I think the two planes just might have been worth the trip??

steven c newman
12-17-2015, 10:34 PM
The "Boss" has decreed..."No more road trips for them #$#@#$$#@ planes. OK, I guess I could pay shipping again?

maybe I can get her to go along to some of the Antique Stores I found along the way?