PDA

View Full Version : Another wood id question - maybe

Wayne Jolly
12-10-2015, 2:16 PM
My son sent me this picture asking me what kind of wood was used. At first glance it looked fake to me, but he said this is in an E-Class Mercedes so I think it would be real wood.

Ideas?

John K Jordan
12-10-2015, 4:33 PM
Could be many. Looks a lot like some rosewood I have, this block simply labeled "rosewood" but not the type of rosewood.

Mel Fulks
12-10-2015, 5:02 PM
Possibly Bubinga, if its a rosewood it's not Brazillian rosewood. For the Brazilian we would probably have to be looking at a Rolls. But it is nice looking

Tom M King
12-10-2015, 5:09 PM
There are all sorts of aftermarket kits for this in either real or fake wood. Go to ebay and search for: Australian Eucalyptus "Calyptus" was one of the favored woods in old Mercedes. edited to add: I went and looked. You will find a lot of figured stuff, but some that looks like that too. I found some veneer that wasn't figured, but for some odd reason, these forums don't allow posting an ebay link. search there for "Brisbane-beaut- Australian eucalyptus"

Shawn Pixley
12-10-2015, 5:12 PM
Sapele? ...

glenn bradley
12-10-2015, 5:18 PM
Sapele? ...

That was my knee-jerk response too. It will be interesting if we can really find out. If it is not after-market, the year and model of the car would make it easy to find out what was offered.

Wade Lippman
12-10-2015, 5:46 PM
Not bubinga or sapele. Maybe rosewood or kingwood, but it is a perfect match to some canary wood I made a bench out of.

Wayne Jolly
12-10-2015, 5:58 PM
I have been doing more looking around and what about Jarrah?

Also, I just asked my son about it and he said it's the 2017 model that isn't even out yet, but the pictures don't match the shot he sent me.

Wayne

John K Jordan
12-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Also, I just asked my son about it and he said it's the 2017 model that isn't even out yet, but the pictures don't match the shot he sent me.

Ask them if you can cut off a chunk to analyze.

Lloyd McKinlay
12-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Can't help with the wood species but if you Google the image it looks like an aftermarket dash kit and probably a man made material.

Ted Phillips
12-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Ask them if you can cut off a chunk to analyze.

We might be able to tell if we can see the end grain...

TedP

James Tibbetts
12-15-2015, 10:43 PM
My first thought was teak..