PDA

View Full Version : Finish Wenge for Wall Piece

Dan Borello
12-10-2015, 2:09 PM
I am making a weather station to hang on the wall. I am primarily using Walnut, but decided to make one out of Wenge. I plan on finishing the Walnut with Tung oil.

What type of finish do you recommend for the Wenge? It doesn't have to be terribly durable. I was thinking Tung Oil, since I was doing that anyways. However, I have never used Wenge, and am open to suggestions.

Scott Holmes
12-10-2015, 4:23 PM
Depending on the "Tung Oil" you plan to use...

Tung oil (pure) will not seal the wood. With a pure oil finish you are setting up for a permanent maintenance schedule/upkeep of the "finish".

De-waxed shellac will pop the grain and seal the wood. Personally I like garnet shellac on both Walnut and Wenge.

An oil/varnish blend a.k.a. Danish oil, would also work well.

Dan Borello
12-10-2015, 4:44 PM
Depending on the "Tung Oil" you plan to use...

Tung oil (pure) will not seal the wood. With a pure oil finish you are setting up for a permanent maintenance schedule/upkeep of the "finish".

De-waxed shellac will pop the grain and seal the wood. Personally I like garnet shellac on both Walnut and Wenge.

An oil/varnish blend a.k.a. Danish oil, would also work well.

I am not looking for permanent maintenance. Since this is a christmas gift, I need to use a finish I can get from Home Depot. It sounds like Danish oil might be a good bet.+