PDA

View Full Version : Do you critique other's work?

Kev Williams
12-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Like, checking out the engraving on the Employee of the Month plaque at the restaurant, or the laser engraving on a wooden jewelry box at some mall store?

Yeah, you do... :D

This morning while watching the news, I had to laugh at what I saw, and just had to share...

Our Governor was talking about asking for more money. And on the wall behind him, is a nearly 4 foot diameter Great Seal of Utah...

I just had to hit pause, and take some pics of the TV...

I'm assuming this is vinyl, or maybe painted. Whatever. What I had to laugh about is that, whoever worked with this logo was diligent enough to take one of the outer rope segments and make it look like rope, then did a circular multi-copy. The rope looks great!

But-- I guess it was too much trouble to change those funny blotches within the flags into the STARS they're supposed to be?

Talk about 'phoning it in', not exactly what I'd call 'a job well done' ... :p

Steven Cox
12-11-2015, 3:31 AM
Like, checking out the engraving on the Employee of the Month plaque at the restaurant, or the laser engraving on a wooden jewelry box at some mall store?

Yeah, you do... :D

Yep all the time, I study them critique the flaws in my head, and equally praise the prefection and try to learn form the experience.

Steve.

Mike Troncalli
12-11-2015, 10:51 AM
I like to call it a learning experience.. I find that YES.. I do look at others work.. But I look for both the flaws and the imagination that went into it.. I find what not to do on a project and I find new and sometimes innovative ways that I never thought about doing before..

John Bion
12-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Yep all the time, I study them critique the flaws in my head, and equally praise the prefection and try to learn form the experience.

Steve.

I nevr critique anothers’ prefection ... ;)

I always look to see how they did the work, if they have a trick I have not seen before etc

Kind regards, John

Chris DeGerolamo
12-11-2015, 2:15 PM
My wife thinks I'm crazy...I'm always on the prowl for lasered good, new methods, etc. My problem is that I'm a hands on type person...some folks don't like me doing a so called "scratch n sniff" test to see if something is lasered/acid etched/blasted/screened etc. :)

Matt Geraci
12-11-2015, 7:07 PM
Always analyzing everything... I see the beauty in the process and parts of the whole, then I imagine the workshop or tools used to create things and get all misty about the tools and machines I want to buy!!!! :).

Bernie Fraser
12-11-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm exactly like this. The guys I work with are use to me rubbing my hands over different signs or taking a photo of them on the phone. Even a walk back from the pub along the street I have a look at all the signs at the shops. Stainless Steel is a good one to look at. I am amazed when I see some flaws in vinyl sign work I think no way could I charge for that. It was vinyl cut text And the font was supposed to be all welded but it was cut on the vinyl cutter so there was a little gap between the letters.

Bert Kemp
12-11-2015, 10:57 PM
I think we all look at what other people have done and I think thats one of the biggest reasons more people don't post pictures of their work here. I think their afraid of criticism or that their ideas will be stolen .. Seems like everybody is in competition with each other. Hey its a big world out there room for all of us. :D

Doug Kircher
12-13-2015, 1:58 PM
I'm exactly like this. The guys I work with are use to me rubbing my hands over different signs or taking a photo of them on the phone. Even a walk back from the pub along the street I have a look at all the signs at the shops. Stainless Steel is a good one to look at. I am amazed when I see some flaws in vinyl sign work I think no way could I charge for that. It was vinyl cut text And the font was supposed to be all welded but it was cut on the vinyl cutter so there was a little gap between the letters.

For me, It is some of the seconded one. I have had that happen more then once.......and when I saw "there designs" locally, I laughed, was not anywhere near as good as mine. I do enjoy inspecting others work and learning from it. if it is better then mine, makes me want to step up my game and do better.

Neil Pabia
12-14-2015, 12:57 PM
I tend to be a little blunt so I keep my opinions to myself usually, but if something looks like sh**, it looks like sh**, And those stars look like sh**.
Just my opinion of course.