PDA

View Full Version : Turning Tool Recommendation

Rich Riddle
12-09-2015, 8:44 PM
My dad recently decided to turn. I am wondering what tools to purchase for him and don't really even know what he already has. He is turning bowls according to what he indicated. What would you recommend for about $100? If it costs a bit more for something better quality then that's fine. Thanks.

John K Jordan
12-09-2015, 9:05 PM
Rich, It might be best to know what tools he has now to get the best recommendations. And does he have a good way to sharpen? ("If you can't sharpen, you can't turn.")

Regardless, it's hard to go wrong with a Thompson bowl gouge.

I personally would get him a spindle gouge encourage him to learn spindle turning. According to the experts (and experience) spindle turning teaches fine tool control that can be carried to any type of turning.

Note that once a turner has a basic set of tools, there is nothing wrong with duplicates. I typically keep 2 or 3 of my most commonly used tools so I can keep turning instead of stopping to to sharpen when one gets dull.

JKJ

Dennis Cloutier
12-10-2015, 9:38 AM
+1 on the Thompson bowl gouge. If he is like most new turners he probably bought some cheap gouges to start with. A good bowl gouge would likely be appreciated.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-10-2015, 10:44 AM
I'd look into a sharpening system as mentioned, if he's just starting. An entire system will be over 100 bucks, but you can get a grinder to start for less than 100 bucks, with the more desireable friable wheels (Woodcraft). That said, any Thompson tool, spindle gouge, bowl gouge or scraper will be much appreciated. They come un handled, so he can make his own, a big bonus in my mind.....

Dave Carey
12-11-2015, 2:34 PM
Any tool - he'll love it!