PDA

View Full Version : Shaker chairs.

Richard Wolf
09-03-2005, 2:22 PM
When I get to pick what I can build, it always seems like it's a chair. I guess I like to sit down alot!
Here are some pics of some chairs I am finishing up for my kitchen table, which I built about two years ago. Sure will be great to not have to stand around and eat dinner.

Richard

Jim Becker
09-03-2005, 3:12 PM
Those are GREAT, Richard!! You just can't beat the simple elegance of Shaker chairs...

Peter Pedisich
09-03-2005, 3:30 PM
Richard,

Wow, nice chairs! Color of the wood and the seat look great together.

Pete

Andrew Ault
09-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Boy, that is a handsome chair. Nice work!

Corey Hallagan
09-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Great looking chairs Richard, Nice job. I admire you chair builders. I don't think i have the patience for doing that kind of wood working. Very nice.

Corey

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Those look better than the ones in the catalog. :D

Did you steam the back posts after turning?

KC

Vaughn McMillan
09-04-2005, 1:18 AM
Very nice Richard. Good classic lines and way beyond my abilities at this point. What did you use for the caning (if that's what it's called)?

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
09-04-2005, 1:34 AM
Very nice chairs Richard, looks like a lot of care went into them. Have a seat!

Dan

Jack Hogoboom
09-04-2005, 9:14 AM
Richard,

How, how, how? We need details!! How did you shape those cirved legs/back/ Did you turn them and then bend them?

Jack

Richard Wolf
09-04-2005, 9:55 AM
Vaughn, the seats are woven with shaker tape. It's very strong and easy to work with.

Dan and Jack, The rear post are bent after turning with steam and forms. Below is a picture of my steamer and the forms can be seen next to my lathe.
The back splats are laminations, each one is 3 pieces, glued up in a form.

Thanks for looking.

Richard

Steve Clardy
09-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Looking good Richard. I gotta do that one of these days. I've done bar stools and children's rockers, but no actual chairs yet.

Norman Hitt
09-05-2005, 6:24 AM
Richard, about 15 years ago, the LOML and I visited a Shaker village, (somewhere East of Louisville, Ky), they had demonstrations set up making different items, and chairs were among them, but yours look Nicer than theirs did, especially the finish and the tape weaving, and I don't remember theirs having the Curved back legs, either. Where do you get your tape from?

Richard Wolf
09-05-2005, 9:32 AM
Norman, I've built alot of chairs over the years and many different styles of Shaker chairs. Alot of them are straight back, and for the most part lose some of their comfort. I guess the Shakers were not overly concerned with comfort anyway. Steam bending the backs does add another process and also makes the installation of the splats more difficult, when used as a dinning chair the extra work and comfort becomes worth the effort.
I don't remember of hand where I purchased this supply of tape (online) but I do know it was the best price I had seen for it. I purchased a large roll because I was doing four chairs. When I go to the shop today I will get the address and PM you.

Richard

Ralph Steffey
09-05-2005, 10:03 AM
try www,constantines.com for your caining supplyes They are nice people.

Martin Shupe
09-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Norman, I've built alot of chairs over the years and many different styles of Shaker chairs. Alot of them are straight back, and for the most part lose some of their comfort. I guess the Shakers were not overly concerned with comfort anyway. Steam bending the backs does add another process and also makes the installation of the splats more difficult, when used as a dinning chair the extra work and comfort becomes worth the effort.
I don't remember of hand where I purchased this supply of tape (online) but I do know it was the best price I had seen for it. I purchased a large roll because I was doing four chairs. When I go to the shop today I will get the address and PM you.

Richard

Richard,

Really nice chair. I also would like to know a good source of Shaker tape, so if you wouldn't mind, and if the moderators will allow, please post the source in this thread. I am sure others are interested as well, now and in future searches.

Thanks for posting. The chair is really awesome.

Richard Wolf
09-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Shaker Tape;
www.hhperkins.com (http://www.hhperkins.com)

You will need about 30 yards per seat of 1" tape.

Richard

Norman Hitt
09-05-2005, 7:02 PM

Richard

Thanks, Richard. I did have a place to order from written down for when I needed it, but when I had a project I was thinking of to use some of it, Naturally, it couldn't be found. :mad: I still want to do the project if I can find the tape.
You're right about the comfort thing. Where we were, I think their only concern was to be able to hang them on the Pegs on the walls, (and since they wanted everyone to be VERY productive, they probably didn't want them to be TOO Comfortable). :D

Michael Gabbay
09-05-2005, 7:12 PM
Richard - Those are GREAT! I really love shaker chairs. Maybe one day I'll have nerve enough (and a lathe) to try them.

Mike

Richard Wolf
09-05-2005, 7:33 PM
I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful compliments on the chairs. It is hard to ignore the simplicity of the design and how being so basic makes it so atractive. I'm including a picture of one of my rockers with a checkerboard seat with a tip for anyone planning on this type of seat. Plan the lighter color tape to run side to side or constant use will make the white tape across the front edge look dirtier than you would like.
Thanks again to all.

Richard

Jules Dominguez
09-05-2005, 9:03 PM
That chair looks great, Richard. If I had a place to put them, I'd try to talk you into selling me some.

Martin Shupe
09-06-2005, 6:06 PM
Shaker Tape;
www.hhperkins.com (http://www.hhperkins.com)

You will need about 30 yards per seat of 1" tape.

Richard

Thanks Richard, and that rocking chair sure looks nice, too. Thanks for the tip on the tape colors. Very nicely done.

Christopher Stahl
09-06-2005, 8:52 PM
I love the chairs. I would definitely buy one from you since I need one for my kitchen desk. I haven't made any chairs and I have too many projects lined up to even try to build one.

chris

Jules Dominguez
09-06-2005, 9:59 PM
Richard, I sent in m;y first post before seeing the rocking chair, so I was talking about your kitchen table chair. The rocking chair's really nice, too, but I enjoy looking at the kitchen table chair about as much as watching an old John Wayne Western.

Richard Wolf
09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks again Christopher and Jules.

Richard

Jim Ketron
09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Very Nice Richard!

I got a book over a year ago on making laderback chairs and and have not got around to making any yet. seeing your post just stoked the fire again. soon as I get finished making bowls and stuff for the upcomming show Im going to try to make some.
Get ready for some PMs when I do :D

Bruce Page
09-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Beautiful stuff Richard! You've really been busy!

Way back in boot camp, I hated standing to eat dinner! I don't think I've done it since.

Eddie Watkins
09-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Nice Chairs. The curved legs are a good improvement over the ones I remember as a kid.