PDA

View Full Version : Formica Cutter

David Perkins
06-09-2003, 9:42 PM
Back in my high school days I did a fair amount of making desks and counter tops with my dad and we used a cutter that had a carbide tip for cutting formica. I have searched for one and am unable to find one. What is used today for cutting? and where can I find such a cutter?
I would preffer the style that I am familiar with but always up for something better.
Thanks David

Jim Becker
06-09-2003, 9:56 PM
Well...I use my table saw, but HD and Lowes usually have the knives avialable in the rack with the material, at least in my area. I bought a sheet last weekend to use and saw them hanging. But I also find for small cuts, scoring with a regular utility knife works just fine.

John Christiansen
06-09-2003, 10:04 PM
The Gundlach 344 scoreing tool is the best I have foundm and or used.

http://www.benojgundlachco.com/catalog/index.shtml

I can get them at my local lumberyard, but have never been able to find them at the big boxes. I didn't look to see what the price was from the Gundlach Co. but click the link and check it out, They can't be too much. They only cost me about 3.59 retail.

David Perkins
06-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys my local lumber yard didn't have a cutter and I had given some thought about cutting it on the table saw but was afraid that it would chip or break. I did check out the web site John and it was just what I was looking for. Is there a special blade to cut using the table saw Jim? I only have the forrest blade and so far have had awsome results with it.
Thanks again for the rapid responses.
David

Jim Becker
06-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Dave...it's just my regular WW-II on the saw...and it cuts clean. The biggest part of the fun is supporting the sheet. It's a really "wiggler!" I also put my Excalibur guard right down on the table to insure that the material did not ride up over the blade during the cuts when I had a full sheet involved.

Ken Frantz
06-10-2003, 4:23 PM
Before retiring from the cabinet business, for over 30 years I cut all of our mica on the table saw with a 60 or 80 tooth carbide blade, the same blade we cut all of the other material. The mica was cut 1 inch bigger than needed and routed after it was glued down.

Being a fella with short arms, I still could handle a 5 ft by 12 ft sheet by my self. I did have a table saw with tables 5 ft on each side of the blade and an offeed table in back 5 ft by 12 ft.

Richard McComas
06-11-2003, 12:41 PM
If I understand correctly you can find one here.

http://www.virutex.com/virutex-tnt.com-tnttools.html