PDA

View Full Version : Laser Machine: Fire: Ever needed or used a fire extinguisher?

Julian Harrison
12-09-2015, 2:19 PM
Setting up a Red Sail X700 80 Watt Laser w/ KH Laser tube. Just received an 11lb Halotron Fire Extinguisher. Bought it off Ebay. It was what I consider expensive, but I have read and understand Halon is the only type to use in case of fire concerning electronics. Has anyone had to pull the trigger and actually put out a fire created by a laser machine?

Bert Kemp
12-09-2015, 2:38 PM
I personally have never needed more then a spay bottle full of water, and that was because I got complacent and careless not watching while cutting. If your going to cut and walk away then be prepared to have a fire and just hope the expensive extinguisher is enough to put it out. A spray bottle full of water is usually enough to put out small flareups that sometimes occur when cutting. If your there watching like you should be its no big deal, lift the lid quick spray and your working again. Maybe adjust your setting a little to prevent further Flareups.:)

Dave Sheldrake
12-09-2015, 3:45 PM
CO2.....ONE extinguisher

If it's not out after that, you should be running

Jim Mackell
12-09-2015, 4:24 PM
One of the last fires I went to as a volunteer was a 4 alarm job caused by unattended laser. Burned out a 3 story 100 year old brick building. Nice parking lot now. Never leave your machine unattended.

Jack Clague
12-09-2015, 5:51 PM
I have not needed to use it but its there and I feel safer knowing I have it ready to go in the event of an emergency.

Bill George
12-09-2015, 6:39 PM
I think I got my CO2 extinguisher off Amazon, it was around $100 or so as I recall,

David Somers
12-10-2015, 1:33 PM
Julian,

To second everyones thoughts. Spray bottle is your first defense coupled with vigilance. Second line of defense is a CO2 extinguisher, though since you have already bought a Halon I wouldn't bother with the extra cost of a CO2 unit unless you want to sell your Halon. Halon is not my first choice because there are potential health issues the CDC has cautioned fire fighters about regarding Halon. Plus, you are not dealing with an electric fire so much as a material fire in wood, acrylic, etc. And the fire is in a small confined space and CO2 is more than adequate for that and leaves no residue in the machine that you will spend hours and hours cleaning as you recover from the fire. If you go with a CO2 check out any Fire Extinguisher shops and see if they have any used units available. Used is fine so long as it has passed its hydrostatic tests and the tank looks clean from the outside. Basic maintenance in other words.

Dave

Graham Facer
12-15-2015, 6:51 PM
I've just got a regular but I should get a co2 as the regular was a hell of a mess the only time I needed it (and that was just a touch - not a full empty).

And in case any one is wondering, I may one day get back on to the fire sensing project but for the mean time I've decided to build robots with the kids with some of the gear.

Raphael Weil
12-16-2015, 2:00 PM
You guys know if these are laser safe?

http://www.h3rperformance.com/mx100c.htm

Gary Hair
12-16-2015, 2:22 PM
You guys know if these are laser safe?

http://www.h3rperformance.com/mx100c.htm

Dry chemical - not laser safe

Try this instead, or check the one I linked on Amazon.
http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg500r.htm

Rich Harman
12-16-2015, 4:02 PM
I can't remember having any fire that couldn't be put out with a puff of air. I have a blower bulb like used for camera lenses to snuff out small flame ups.

I do have a couple of water based foam extinguishers plus a standard dry-chem but have never used them.

Braden Todd
12-16-2015, 5:45 PM
I had one that melted through 1" of honeycomb and 1" of aluminum supports for the honeycomb. I was watching the laser cut but it was acrylic and the vac. system had all my flames pulled down so I never saw them until the acrylic was glowing. I was lucky that I only had to replace me honeycomb and a 2'x2' section of supports.

I have decided to add one of these mounts ( http://center-axis.com/ ) to my machine with a co2 extinguisher. Next time I don't want any delays getting the fire out!

David Somers
12-16-2015, 6:22 PM
I've just got a regular but I should get a co2 as the regular was a hell of a mess the only time I needed it (and that was just a touch - not a full empty).

And in case any one is wondering, I may one day get back on to the fire sensing project but for the mean time I've decided to build robots with the kids with some of the gear.

Graham!

I got it!! Build a fire sensing robot with the kids!!! Two birds! One Stone!! (grin....have a wonderful time with the kids!!!!!)

Dave

Scott Shepherd
12-16-2015, 6:32 PM
I had one that melted through 1" of honeycomb and 1" of aluminum supports for the honeycomb. I was watching the laser cut but it was acrylic and the vac. system had all my flames pulled down so I never saw them until the acrylic was glowing. I was lucky that I only had to replace me honeycomb and a 2'x2' section of supports.

I have decided to add one of these mounts ( http://center-axis.com/ ) to my machine with a co2 extinguisher. Next time I don't want any delays getting the fire out!

Yup, that sounds familiar. The fires start UNDER the material and you can't see it. It grows and grows until it's burned all the way from the bottom to the top layer, then it finally breaks through. It happens when you are standing there watching it. You wouldn't even know there was a fire if it never broke through the top layer. VERY dangerous. That's why I worry about fires on lasers.

Gary Hair
12-16-2015, 7:37 PM

That's a bad idea Braden - you don't want the fire extinguisher mounted on the source of the fire! I would keep it close enough to use quickly but not so close that you can't get to it if the laser is on fire.

Braden Todd
12-16-2015, 10:46 PM
This happened on my open bed Kern, I was wanting to attach the quick release mount to the leg of my table. With how the first "incident" went I realized if I had one on either side of the table id be covered, plus it would be well away from a potential heat point.

Michael Perrault
12-17-2015, 3:04 PM
I pick up 2-packs of the single hand operated Fire Command extinguishers. They're cheap enough to have one each place that would be a quick grab. Sometimes all you need is a little squirt to quickly squelch a starting fire without making a mess of everything. I've used them more than once. They also fire a few feet in case you have to step back. They do not cover a typically required full 3ABC extinguisher so be sure to have one of those on the premise.