PDA

View Full Version : New Workbench Options

Jim Dwight
12-09-2015, 2:02 PM
I have vacation through the end of the year and am starting on a new workbench that will also be my cutting table for my tracksaw. The design is inspired by Ron Paulk with a two layer top separated by 9 inch pieces with large oval holes in them. The top gets holes for bench dogs will be bored with my plunge router using a special router base and pegboard for spacing. That part is known. Height will be 38-38 1/4 inches to match my table saw (or be a little lower).

What I don't know about is the area below the two surface top. I will use 3 inch totally locking casters so I can use legs on the order of 23 1/2 inches. I thought I had scrap plywood this wide to use in the middle to break up the space and support the lower top. But it isn't wide enough. Options include:

1 Go get another sheet of plywood (what I am using is pretty nice 23/32 AC from home depot that costs $30/sheet - so not a huge issue)
2 Put my scraps together with a half lap or biscuits and use them
3 Move the bottom of the workbench up on the legs and have less storage space below it. That space will be for other tools without a base that are occasionally used. So may not be a huge issue to lose some of that space.

Ideas?

william watts
12-09-2015, 3:45 PM
Build like you want it, if getting another sheet of ply is not a issue, get it . Down the road you will not look back and be disappointed. Joining plywood just doesn't look right, but where you are using it, it's probably not visible. For me a bigger issue would be where to store the left over ply.

Bill