PDA

View Full Version : Mounting photos/lexan to plank of Padauk

James Dudley
12-09-2015, 10:26 AM
First of all, a word about Padauk.

When I first got the idea to build a kitchen island, I wanted to use Padauk because it's so beautiful. The island thread is on here elsewhere.

OMG I'm glad I was talked into using Sapele slabs.

Even just simple, small sawing efforts with Padauk create a talcum-powder-like blood-red dust that gets EVERYWHERE. It's amazing.

It's beautiful, but wow. I'll probably never use it again.

Anyhoo.....I'm making a very simple photo display for my mother. I have four photos that I'm mounting to a plank of Padauk that I have. It's simply finished in wiped-on coats of dewaxed shellac (from flakes). This article (http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/tips-tricks/how-to-finish-african-padauk-wood-to-preserve-the-color/) seems to show that shellac keeps the color the best. And I wanted a quick finish---these are Christmas photos and I don't have a few weeks for my favorite finish, Waterlox, to cure.

So anyhoo...

I've attached the pic. The photos will be under lexan panels (they still have the protective wrap on them for now). How would you attach the lexan to the wood? FYI I'll likely trim the Lexan down a bit, but only a little bit.

NOTE: there are 4 photos to be mounted, so there will be wood showing around each one.

Options I've considered:

Washer-head screws: drill carefully and attach w/a screw or two per side.
Upside: easy
Downside: Kinda....I dunno....seems off somehow.

2:
"Stitch" it on w/steel picture wire
I have a lot of solid and braided steel picture hanging wire. I figured I could drill two 1/16th holes close together, thread the steel wire from the back, through a hole, over and then back through the wood to the back and staple it on the back to secure it.So it would look like a stitch (sorta). Do 1-2 per side.
Upside: more unique?
Downside: More holes, maybe less secure. Not really very easy to swap photos over time (since these are seasonal photos, maybe she'll want other stuff during spring/summer/fall?)

Other ideas? How would you secure the photos and lexan to the wood? They can be permanent or removable ideas. Just looking for ideas.