PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Engravers Customer Service

Anthony Morgan
12-09-2015, 8:28 AM
Want to get a rotary engraver and start a business. Plan to do metal so will start off with rotary engraver. I have been reading and customer service seems to be very important. Looking at Vision and Newing-Hall primarily but open to others if they have great service. So looking for advice and stories about the company's customer service.

Mike Null
12-09-2015, 8:44 AM
Anthony

Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Both Vision and Newing Hall are great machines that will last for years. With NH they can even bring their earliest machines up to today's technology. I have had very good service with NH for more than 10 years.

I would strongly advise you to buy a machine that will do cylindrical objects as this will increase your volume considerably and at very good margins. This type of machine can run north of $20,000 new.

If you buy a used machine you can save a ton but tech support does not transfer with the machine so you'll will have to pay as you go.

Scott Erwin
12-09-2015, 5:45 PM
Anthony, Welcome to Sawmill Creek. You will find a great wealth of information and expert advise here. Enjoy your stay and read as much as you can about what field you are getting into. There are some really good ones here to help you if you ask.

I have a Gravograph M40 and M-40G (the one you see at Things Remembered). I have liked these machines since I got them. The few downsides, in my opinion is that the software and fonts are proprietary. The font packs can cost some bucks but the machines just keep going and going.

The M-40 I use for plastics and diamond drag metals. (I just don't do burnishing or spin on metals, not had the calling for it)
The M-40G I use for my cylindrical things, wine bottles, glasses, candles, etc. I also use it to do my flat glass and similar items that require a cooling agent when being cut.
On some other objects, it is better to use the laser so there are many options for you.

Mark Sipes
12-09-2015, 10:03 PM
I have two Newing-Hall 350's , besides replacing a set of belts the machines are work horses I use both around 4 hours a day while the laser runs the other 8 hours. I'm a multi-tasker . There are deals out there. make sure you get the software. Just to list a few jobs I have done with my machines in the past 3 days: 3 pocket compasses, 3 ship's bells, 48 plaque plates for local High Schools, 38 medals for the middle schools, pet tags, and brass plates for boxes, 2 jewelry boxes. In the que are Guy Wire tension plates for Verizon Cell installers, 500 key chains for local car dealerships. Locks for Paris......and the list goes on.......

Welcome, where are you located, maybe we can help with training .. Helen at Newing-Hall is a Great Person to talk with if you have any questions.

Kev Williams
12-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Gravograph aka New Hermes... It's sad that they're infamous for their customer service. But then:

I have two 26 year old V5000XT's and one 26 year old V5000...
I have three V3400's, one the cylinder version on legs, and one V3200- same as the 34's but with an air rather than stepper spindle. All 4 of these machines are 20 years old.
I have one 33 year old Concept 2000- I also have a 34 year old one that's been in storage for 15 years, in case the the other one ever craps out.
Finally, I have a 6 year old IS400, and a 10 year old IS7000.

I also have a New Hermes 20" vinyl cutter, not sure the exact age but it's at least 15 years old..

And finally, I have a 17 year old New Hermes 25w Optima laser (built by Universal) and an 11 year old Gravograph LS900 40w laser...

Adding up all the ages of the machines I'm using daily and all in good working order, it comes to 234 years...

And in those 234 combined years, which I've spent 40 years myself using the things, I've had exactly TWO work-stopping failures: the power supply in the LS900 about 3 years ago, and the power supply in the IS7000 which happened only a month ago. Gravograph CS had me a new power supply 2 days later (and the only reason it took TWO days was because my local rep tried to fix it himself first), and as for the IS7000, my rep loaned me a IS400 power pack to run it while he attempts to fix mine. All other issues have usually been wear 'n tear issues, like lead screws and/or nuts, limit switches, membrane switches etc, which I take care of myself. Money I've spent on actual repairs in 40 years, $1700 for the power supply, and $120 about 3 times to have my rep fix one of my EP modules.

So what can I say about their customer service, since I've pretty much never needed any? But I can't say enough about their machines...

Anthony Morgan
12-10-2015, 8:02 AM
I am in Ky. I have some experience with Corel Draw and a strong background with precision machinery and computers. I really appreciate your advice. I am still reading other posts.

Mike Null
12-10-2015, 8:29 AM
Yesterday I engraved 17 pewter horn handle mugs at $20 each. My customer charged their customer $40 each for engraving and $100 each for the mugs. My engraving time was under 2 minutes each though the unpacking took a couple of minutes as well. The engraving was identical on all.

Here in St. Louis, like other places, few engravers can handle cylindrical objects. You can get a premium for them.