PDA

View Full Version : free program to show GPS coordinates of pictures taken.

Chuck Wintle
12-08-2015, 5:52 PM
So i have this canon camera that records the GPS coordinates in the EXIF file of the photo. What I want id a good free program that can display where the photos were taken on a map i suppose. the Canon utility for this is very poorly done and almost useless IMHO. TIA.

Eduard Nemirovsky
12-08-2015, 7:04 PM
on iMac you can use Photos program - it will read EXIF file and create map with all places. I think a lot of photo-database program will do same.

Ed.

Dan Hintz
12-09-2015, 6:30 AM
Do you just want to get the coordinates from the picture, or do you want a program that will read the info AND show you the coordinates on a map? The former is easy (IrfanView), the latter will be a more difficult search (though I'm sure there's something out there).

Chuck Wintle
12-09-2015, 9:45 AM
Do you just want to get the coordinates from the picture, or do you want a program that will read the info AND show you the coordinates on a map? The former is easy (IrfanView), the latter will be a more difficult search (though I'm sure there's something out there).

I was hoping to get the photo coordinates to show up on a map using the gps information. it works in google maps if i click the icon next to the gps info when the EXIF panel is open. And from a bit of reading the canon utility will export a file that will import to google earth( i think) and then show the spots on a map. I went some walking tours in a number of cities and was hoping to be able to retrace the route taken. \I need to experiment a bit more.