PDA

View Full Version : Engraved flag on brass

Gary Hair
12-08-2015, 5:07 PM
I have a Henry rifle I am engraving with, among other things, a US flag. Would you mark the red stripes or the white stripes? I laser a lot of anodized aluminum parts with the flag and the white stripes get lasered so they come out white and the rest is black, but I'm not sure how it would (should) look on brass. Any thoughts?

Ross Moshinsky
12-08-2015, 6:04 PM
White = Brass
Red = Black
Blue = Black

Never hurts to throw a scrap into the laser and test. Doesn't even have to be brass. Gold plastic works just fine.

Kev Williams
12-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Since a flag has white stripes and white stars, make them match. Depending on how that works, you may or may not need an extra border around the flag...

-- For reference, both of these are wrong...

326742 326743

this one is correct in postive- if done in negative, it would need a border like the gray one so the top & bottom stripes wouldn't be invisible...

Trish Steding
12-10-2015, 1:04 PM
Hi Gary,

There are several ways to get creative with shading and tricks for adding color to your engraving. One resource I like is http://www.engraverssolutions.com/PDFs/tips&tricks-color_filling.pdf .

Good luck!

Matt Geraci
12-11-2015, 8:22 PM
Here's what I do. I like the inverse design.
Used the inverse initially because when I sand blasted it allowed a crisper design and was more forgiving if I got a little heavy handed in the cabinet. It's grown on me and still use it.