PDA

View Full Version : Depth Cutting differences

michael croft
12-08-2015, 4:55 PM
Good evening all.

Shenhui 350 50 watt / RDWorksV8

Having now installed the 40 watt tube and having watched the recommended YouTube, I decided to carry out an exercise to see the results of speed verses power.

To do this I again followed the YouTube test in using a clear block of acrylic.

The test was a series of 7 cut lines all set at 5 speed and power settings of 45% too 75% using 5% increases
(example 45-50-55-60-65-70-75)

Program was written and set to test the four corners, my zero is set to top left where the shortest beam is.
Tests run and now I have a fairly good idea of my lasers ability at certain settings.

All is good but there is a BUT! The cuts are not as deep at the LH Side (shortest beam) of the bed as they are on the RH Side (longest beam) in fact an average 2 mm difference at 5/45 and 3.5mm difference at 5/75.

Be interested in others views on this anomaly.

Glen Monaghan
12-08-2015, 5:03 PM
Could be the beam needs alignment or the bed is out of level.

michael croft
12-08-2015, 5:42 PM
Could be the beam needs alignment or the bed is out of level.

Hi Glen thanks for getting back.

When I fitted the new tube last week every element was checked levelled, the mirrors are spot on centres as is the lens. 2.5 inch focal length.

I have just checked the bed level as what you said made total sense but it is also level so now the mystery thickens

Jerome Stanek
12-08-2015, 6:01 PM
how did you check your bed level

michael croft
12-08-2015, 6:17 PM
how did you check your bed level

Hi Jerome used two methods one being spirit level the second being by a spacer block between the gantry and the bed it seemed the most logical method, especially the spacer method as the corresponds to the laser head.

Jerome Stanek
12-09-2015, 5:47 AM
Ok I was thinking only the level on the bed that doesn't really do anything as to the distance the head is from the bed.

michael croft
12-09-2015, 6:40 AM
Ok I was thinking only the level on the bed that doesn't really do anything as to the distance the head is from the bed.

Hi Jerome,
The other measure of course is the focal length and again that was the same in all four corners.

I was thinking that logically that the bed would be the issue, based on that I think I shall make a false bed and ever so slightly raise the LH side edge by about 1 or 2mm and see what difference I get throughout.
Watch this space for result :)

Jeff Body
12-09-2015, 4:19 PM
Hi Glen thanks for getting back.

When I fitted the new tube last week every element was checked levelled, the mirrors are spot on centres as is the lens. 2.5 inch focal length.

I have just checked the bed level as what you said made total sense but it is also level so now the mystery thickens

When you say you're spot on with the center, what do you mean?
I see alot of bad advice about how you just need to center it on the mirror, This is incorrect.

You need to make sure the beam hits the exact same spot both when the mirror is close and far. Sometimes this doesn't meet right in the middle of the mirror.