PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning A Spray Gun

Ken Krawford
12-08-2015, 7:17 AM
I spray water based paints with a turbine driven HVLP system. Every couple of projects, I completely break my gun down and give it a thorough cleaning. What do you use as a solvent for "deep cleaning" a gun?

Bill White
12-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Water based-Simple Green, ammonia, second wash with Simple Green, rinse, done.
Mineral based-Thinner, second wash with thinner, Simple Green, rinse, done.
Of course I do use brushes to scrub.
Bill

Rich Engelhardt
12-09-2015, 5:49 AM
Deep clean?
Denatured alcohol or acetone.
Either one will "cut" most water based stuff.

Art Mann
12-09-2015, 1:22 PM
I disassemble and thoroughly clean my HVLP gun after every project. I have had to deal with too many clogs and replaced tips to do otherwise. On small high value projects, like carvings or boxes, I use rattle cans even though it is far more expensive for the material. I just don't want to lose 30 minutes a day cleaning a spray gun for little pieces.

Ken Krawford
12-09-2015, 2:11 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I'll start with the Simple Green and work up to the solvents if that doesn't do it. I had been using brush cleaner for "deep cleaning" but was concerned about the toxicity of working with it. Even with a respirator & gloves it was a bit much.

Mike Henderson
12-09-2015, 3:39 PM
I disassemble and thoroughly clean my HVLP gun after every project. I have had to deal with too many clogs and replaced tips to do otherwise. On small high value projects, like carvings or boxes, I use rattle cans even though it is far more expensive for the material. I just don't want to lose 30 minutes a day cleaning a spray gun for little pieces.
I do the same as Art. It only takes a few minutes to clean the gun. Use the wrench they gave you and take the front nozzle off. Wash everything with lots of water (assuming you're using water based finish). Reassemble. If you don't do a good cleaning each time the gunk will build up and then it's much more difficult to clean. Even cleaning it well each time, the small air holes in the nozzle part of the gun can sometimes get clogged. I have some thin steel wires to poke into the holes to push the gunk out but I always worry about damaging the holes or enlarging them.

Clean your gun well every time you use it.

Mike

Ken Krawford
12-10-2015, 6:23 PM
I think most of the "gunk" in my gun comes from the fact that I will shoot 3 or 4 coats of finish over several days and then break the gun down and clean it. I use a turbine driven HVLP gun and I think the warm air from the turbine has a tendency to make the finish start to dry and/or clump in the gun. It still sprays fine but needs a good cleaning after I'm done with a project.