PDA

View Full Version : Got my LN #2 today

James Phillips
12-07-2015, 8:48 PM
I never thought I would use the word cute to describe a tool, but I cannot think of a better word.....

Jim Koepke
12-07-2015, 9:19 PM
A lot of tools are cute.

A #2 is also useful on small work.

jtk

Julie Moriarty
12-07-2015, 9:32 PM
It doesn't exist without pictures. :)

Frederick Skelly
12-07-2015, 9:57 PM
Congrats! Have you sharpened her up and made some test passes yet? How'd you like it?

James Phillips
12-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Being a Lie Nielsen it was pretty sharp right out of the box, so I made a pass or two. I like the fell of it, but like many mentioned it is a 2 or 3 finger grip.

I will sharpen it up better this weekend and put it to use

Cody Kemble
12-08-2015, 8:47 AM
I love mine on small work or small sections. I often leave my pinky out along the body and grip with my middle and ring finger. I feel like I am more in control of the plane that way and I don't get my fingers stuck as often.

Mike Brady
12-08-2015, 3:28 PM
The woodworking instructor/publisher Chris Schwarz is devoting a year to evaluating the #2 LN bench plane as his primary smoother. When I last read something about this he was making a new rear handle that might better accommodate his hand. His research has shown that smoothers were historically shorter than the #2 and#3 Stanley model planes that we call smoothers. To my knowledge, there has been nothing added as an update recently. Should be interesting to learn what others think of this idea.