PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Blade Stiffeners

Joe Beaulieu
12-07-2015, 5:41 PM
Hey Folks,

I am using a 10" Forrest Woodworker II blade on a 3 HP Sawstop Pro cabinet saw. I figured it wouldn't hurt to add blade stiffeners to the Woodworker II blade. I ordered 2 of the 5 inch Forrest blade stiffeners, but when I got them, the instructions say it is "most typical" to use just one stiffener. I don't understand why if one is a help, why 2 wouldn't be more of a benefit? I recognize that one may be all that is necessary to improve blade smoothness, but wouldn't two be just a little better? A little more stable? I can return one, no issue, but I am just curious if my thinking is wrong. I understand that using one on the far side of the blade will move the blade the thickness of the stiffener. I can adapt for that. Is it just folly to add a second? will it cause any problems? Very interested in finding out.

Thanks

Joe

Ben Rivel
12-07-2015, 5:51 PM
I have the same saw and blade and after doing a bit of research on the issue I found that no one could notice a difference when using one, let alone two, so I skipped them. I think they are more for thin to very thin kerf blades which we cant/shouldnt use on SawStop saws. The standard 1/8" kerf, good quality blades like the WWII are all you need as they are thick/stable/robust enough.

Andrew Hughes
12-07-2015, 7:23 PM
I use one on my twelve inch blades that are under 1/8 kerf.Im not really sure if it helps at all but I bought one some time ago and Figuerd I might as well use it.Just in case.

keith wootton
12-07-2015, 7:49 PM
i used one when i had a old craftsman table saw. helped on that saw, but when i got a unisaw, found i didn't need it. running thin kerf wwII on an 1.5 hp saw, cuts perfect. i think even one stiffener would help knock down flexing or strange harmonics in a cheap saw, saw w/ worn bearings or blade with dullness or other issue(s). stiffener will limit depth of cut to 2.5" or less w/ zero clearance insert. keith

Mike Henderson
12-07-2015, 8:34 PM
I don't think a stiffener will do much on a standard width blade. Even with thin kerf blades, I haven't noticed any deflection or other problems without a stiffener.

Mike

Kent Adams
12-07-2015, 8:35 PM
Hey Folks,

I am using a 10" Forrest Woodworker II blade on a 3 HP Sawstop Pro cabinet saw. I figured it wouldn't hurt to add blade stiffeners to the Woodworker II blade. I ordered 2 of the 5 inch Forrest blade stiffeners, but when I got them, the instructions say it is "most typical" to use just one stiffener. I don't understand why if one is a help, why 2 wouldn't be more of a benefit? I recognize that one may be all that is necessary to improve blade smoothness, but wouldn't two be just a little better? A little more stable? I can return one, no issue, but I am just curious if my thinking is wrong. I understand that using one on the far side of the blade will move the blade the thickness of the stiffener. I can adapt for that. Is it just folly to add a second? will it cause any problems? Very interested in finding out.

Thanks

Joe

I bought one to stabilize my single Forrest thin kerf blade. I found it was quieter and truer with the stiffener. However, I don't find any difference with my full kerf blades and now I'm a little sorry I bought it because I won't be using that thin kerf very much.

Ben Rivel
12-07-2015, 8:39 PM
Not to mention you may be limited on the height you can raise the blade with a zero clearance insert.

Myk Rian
12-07-2015, 9:14 PM
Hey Folks,

Thanks

Joe
You don't need stiffeners with that blade. Period.

Brian Henderson
12-07-2015, 9:46 PM
I got one a long time ago in some tools when my father died, I used it for a while on thin kerf blades but never saw any impact so it's been hanging on the wall in the shop ever since.

Lee Schierer
12-07-2015, 11:48 PM
There have been a lot of discussions on blade stiffeners in the past, which basically determined that they don't do much if anything (Check the archives).

On modern tensioned blades they really don't do anything.

The reason for only using one is because putting one on each side changes the location of the blade in the throat plate and makes the scales for the rip fence to be off.

Unless the stabilizer is precision machined and balanced, it can cause more problems than it might solve.

It limits the height you can raise the blade.

It gives you one (possibly two) more pieces to drop down into the sawdust in the cabinet.

Mike Null
12-08-2015, 8:21 AM
I agree with all the down side points but I "feel" that my blade cuts smoother and truer with the stabilizer. The only reason I can think of to use one instead of two is the adjustment you have to make on your fence scale.

Dave Cullen
12-08-2015, 2:27 PM
I agree with all the down side points but I "feel" that my blade cuts smoother and truer with the stabilizer. The only reason I can think of to use one instead of two is the adjustment you have to make on your fence scale.

That and it spaces the blade off center from the insert kerf. I have a 3" stabilizer on my Craftsman and I think it makes a smoother cut than without it.

Art Mann
12-08-2015, 2:51 PM
I'm not too sure that using a stabilizer to the left of the blade will even work with a Sawstop because it will change the position of the blade with respect to the brake unit.

Joe Beaulieu
12-08-2015, 4:18 PM
I'm not too sure that using a stabilizer to the left of the blade will even work with a Sawstop because it will change the position of the blade with respect to the brake unit.

That's a very valid point Art. I will need to test that. Thanks for bringing it up.

Joe

Ben Rivel
12-08-2015, 5:21 PM
That's a very valid point Art. I will need to test that. Thanks for bringing it up.

Joe
By test that you mean call SawStop and ask right?

Lee Schierer
12-08-2015, 7:01 PM
By test that you mean call SawStop and ask right?

Yes because if you use a stabilizer(s) you also increase the mass of the blade which will take more energy to stop.

Andrew Pitonyak
12-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Not to mention you may be limited on the height you can raise the blade with a zero clearance insert.

Yep, I have seen that.

Wade Lippman
12-09-2015, 10:28 AM
I got one a long time ago in some tools when my father died, I used it for a while on thin kerf blades but never saw any impact so it's been hanging on the wall in the shop ever since.

That is my experience also. I found my kerf was identical whether I used the stabilizer or not; so it is hard to see what it might do.
So if anyone wants to buy one....

Von Bickley
12-09-2015, 2:52 PM
I have one hanging on the wall that I don't use any more........ but I don't use thin kerf blades any more either.