PDA

View Full Version : Edge gluing panels poll

Pat Barry
12-07-2015, 3:49 PM
Quick poll on the subject of gluing up panels from multiple edge jointed boards. Do you apply glue to both boards or only to one of the two boards and then scrub the boards together to smear the glue before clamping?

I have always adhered (sic) to the concept of spreading glue onto each of the two boards jointed edges to make sure I don't have voiiding or glue failure. I figure glue is cheap and I want to maximize my chances of sucess.

What method do you use? If other - please explain

Jim Koepke
12-07-2015, 4:41 PM
When using Titebond, both boards are given a film of glue.

Hide glue may have a different process.

jtk

Pat Barry
12-07-2015, 6:56 PM
When using Titebond, both boards are given a film of glue.

Hide glue may have a different process.

jtk
Yes Jim, I was referring to Titebond like glues, not hide glues or polyurethanes.

Ron Patrick
12-07-2015, 8:13 PM
I find that putting glue on both edges just makes a big mess. I apply it to one side only but do rub the boards back and forth several times to make sure the both surfaces are wetted well. This method has served me well and minimizes slippage of the boards when I apply the clamps, making it easier to keep the surfaces aligned.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2015, 8:23 PM
I find that putting glue on both edges just makes a big mess.

Been there before.

Now I use less glue for less chance of a mess.

I use a thin bead of glue and then spread it with a business card. Any extra is left on the card and is used on the second piece.

jtk

Mike Henderson
12-07-2015, 8:31 PM
If I find that I put too much glue on the first face, I rub the second piece of wood on the first and then spread the glue on both pieces. But if I put a thin coat on the first one, I put a coat on the second.

I agree with Ron that minimizing the amount of glue makes clean up easier. I want just a small amount of squeeze out.

Mike

Jay Aubuchon
12-07-2015, 9:05 PM
I put a thin coat on both pieces.

Mel Fulks
12-07-2015, 9:14 PM
I like to put glue on both surfaces,it's the way I was taught. We were using MAINLY UF glue which is less gummy than most other glues . Unless the panels were unusually wide we glued more than one at a time . System of stacking pieces with all edges facing workman flush, applying glue with brush 3 or 4 inches wide, and then hitting other edges while arranging according to pencil marks. When gluing one panel at a time glue on one surface is probably fine.
In saying the glue is less gummy I didn't mean more is needed. Just that it's easy to brush on,and clean off excess glue.

Joel Thomas Runyan
12-07-2015, 9:58 PM
Single side, thick enough coat to pretty much guarantee coverage on both sides. But I process everything by hand, so I don't spend much time trying to get everything perfectly aligned, and I tend to glue up a single joint at a time, unless the panel is smallish.

Jerry Olexa
12-07-2015, 11:57 PM
Both but lightly

Kees Heiden
12-08-2015, 4:49 AM
One side, not too much. And then clamping pressure. I wouldn't know why the clamping pressure won't transfer enough glue to the other side. I haven't had glue failures that I couldn't trace back to some stupid mistake on my side.

Daniel Rode
12-08-2015, 11:15 AM
I like a thin even coat on both edges. Often I apply a bead to the center and spread it with a finger or a rubber roller. When I apply clamps, I want to see squeezeout to confirm I have enough glue but not enough to drip.

Frank Drew
12-08-2015, 3:03 PM
Both edges, but I'm not going to argue that it's absolutely necessary; it might help, though, when the entire panel of more than one joint is glued up in one go.

Daniel Rode
12-08-2015, 3:16 PM
http://www.franklinadhesivesandpolymers.com/docs/press-releases/Edge_Face_Gluing_Guide_FINAL.pdf
http://www.titebond.com/Libraries/LiteraturePDFs/FF683_GlueGuideTB.sflb.ashx

What's interesting is that the 1 or 2 face question is not addressed in either document. Perhaps if the joint has sufficient glue, it does not matter.

Pat Barry
12-08-2015, 3:27 PM
Dan - I was just looking for the same thing.

Elmer's FAQ section says this about their wood glues: "Surfaces must be clean, dry and free of dried glue, oil and any coating. Parts should fit tight. Apply glue liberally and evenly to the surfaces to be bonded. Join parts and clamp together. Clamping pressure should bring surfaces together and there should be some glue squeezed out from the joint. Remove excess wet glue with clean, dry cloth. Clamp for one hour or more. Let dry for 24 hours before handling."

I did the underline but to me that says both mating edges should have glue applied liberally.

Shawn Pixley
12-08-2015, 3:40 PM
One good coating on one side. I spread with a brush. Never had one fail.

Kees Heiden
12-08-2015, 3:40 PM
Interesting. But is it actually possible to not get the second face covered with glue when you crank the clamps down?

Kent Adams
12-08-2015, 7:52 PM
I'm interested in the method of those that voted other.

Derek Cohen
12-09-2015, 1:20 AM
I'm interested in the method of those that voted other.

I voted other. Because I do both.

With dovetails and mortice-and-tenons, I glue the socket/mortice side of the joint only. What I do not want is excess glue to be scraped away at the entry of the male part, and then smeared around the outside. This also goes for sliding dovetails and dados. Hide glue lubricates and helps the parts slide along, but the glue is only placed where it is needed. Adding it to the male part will not isolate the glue area.

With multiple boards that are glued up in clamps, it is not always easily to glue both sides of the joint (try standing a freshly glued edge up while glueing the other side). If the board is wide, I put a thicker coat on the one side, and just rub and clamp the adjacent edge. With a two-board glue-up or with thinner boards, where there is a risk of glue starvation, both sides are glued.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bob Lang
12-09-2015, 9:25 AM
I put glue on both sides of the joint. Here's how I do it: spread a bead of glue on the edge of one board, then clamp the boards together. Where else is the glue going to go but on the opposing edge? My goal is to have the glue "almost" squeeze out so there isn't a big mess to clean up. If you don't think this works, try the following experiment; put two boards together with the method described above and immediately take them back apart and see what you have. Of course the guys who sell glue are going to tell you to apply it liberally.

Bob Lang

steven c newman
12-09-2015, 6:15 PM
Just one surface for me, haven't the time to do both. I will slide the two halves of the joint a bit before the clamps take over. Clean up a few dried beads the next day, call it good. Old scrub plane does a pass or two to clean it up. Very little squeeze out, just a few small beads. Anything more would be a waste of glue. i try to run a Frugal shop, some may say Cheap, I say FRUGAL. Right done to how much glue is uesd.

Pat Barry
12-09-2015, 6:53 PM
Just one surface for me, haven't the time to do both. I will slide the two halves of the joint a bit before the clamps take over. Clean up a few dried beads the next day, call it good. Old scrub plane does a pass or two to clean it up. Very little squeeze out, just a few small beads. Anything more would be a waste of glue. i try to run a Frugal shop, some may say Cheap, I say FRUGAL. Right done to how much glue is uesd.
If one sided works for you then great. For me the risk of failure is not worth it. The only downside to glue on both boards is a bit of squeeze out. That's not hard to deal with if you wait about an hour for the squeeze out to gel up a bit. The downside to insufficient bond line is failure and rework. That's a high price to pay.

Kees Heiden
12-10-2015, 3:32 AM
Don't worry Steven, the failure is not going to happen when you only spread the glue on one face. The glue has no other choice then ending up on the other side anyway after rubbing and clamping pressure.

Another great advantage of being frugal with the glue (just enough, minimal squeeze out) is that the joint is a lot less slippery when the glue still wet.

Pat Barry
12-10-2015, 1:26 PM
Well, thanks to all for responding.

3 days into this and we have a 2:1 division between the two camps. My take-a-way is that I should try the single edge glue process the next time I glue up a panel. I feel like I can take confidence in the large percentage (1/3) of folks that do it this way. I don't know if you noticed in the poll results but you can click on the numbers tabulated next to the chart and it will open a list of names who voted for that method. The fact that there are a lot of folks who I would classify as very competent and knowledgeable woodworkers using the single side glue approach serves to inspire confidence that this is a viable method. I know for a recent glue-up I did for some pizza peels laminated from several pieces of material, the single sided approach would have made my life a lot easier. As it was I stuck with my old habits and that actually inspired me to set up this poll - that and watching Graham Hayden's recent video - thanks Graham!

Thanks to all for your responses

Keith Mathewson
12-10-2015, 7:37 PM
What is more important than coating one or both sides is the amount of glue used, suffecient clamping pressure and good clamping technique. Here is a good thread on the subject http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/business.pl?read=787412

Simon MacGowen
12-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Dan - I was just looking for the same thing.

Elmer's FAQ section says this about their wood glues: "... Remove excess wet glue with clean, dry cloth.

I would never follow such advice; it is just as bad as using a wet cloth unless paint is the choice of finish.

Simon

Frank Martin
12-12-2015, 9:26 PM
This is the first time I hear gluing both sides when doing edge glue ups. I do this as a hobby and always did one side only with zero failures so far over about 20-30 projects.

steven c newman
12-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Got a panel in the clamps right now
327069One layer of Elmer's on one side of each joint. I clamped until an even bead showed up. Going to let this sit overnight.

Been glueing panels like this for a LONG time. Unless I prevent the wood from moving with the seasons, panels stay in one piece. I also don't waste as much glue this way.

The desk I am sitting at is made from a bunch of 4/4 by 3"s No signs of any cracks, and the desk is 5 years old....