PDA

View Full Version : Guess whos coming (came) to dinner?

Mark Singer
09-03-2005, 10:02 AM
I won't tell you maybe my special guest will....he is sleeping from his flight and will spend the weekend here....he is a popular guy and I am very happy to have him here for the long weekend. He didn't know this was happening...it was a surprise plotted by his wife and I was happy to participate..now I will put him to work!.....Names please.....

Jim Dunn
09-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Jim Becker? Course he thought he was going to see Sylvester Stallone:)

Jim Becker
09-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Jim Becker? Course he thought he was going to see Sylvester Stallone

Not me...I'm here and Sylvester is not. (Just Dr. SWMBO, Tosca, Spike, Frogalina and the two yet-as-unnamed froglings) But I'm guessing John M...he dropped a hint in the OT forum about his lovely presenting him with an awesome 25th anniversary present. Could it be??

Steve Clardy
09-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Yea. I'd say John M.

Christian Aufreiter
09-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Me??? :D Nope, impossible, I'm not married. :rolleyes:

Christian

Karl Laustrup
09-03-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm gonna say Spring.

If it is Spring, Mark, be sure and take him for a ride on the Freeway. :eek:

Karl

Jim Becker
09-03-2005, 12:07 PM
If it is Spring, Mark, be sure and take him for a ride on the Freeway.l

Yea! In that little silver number that has two speeds...stop...and GO!

Jim O'Dell
09-03-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm going to guess John Milinus also. He said in the off topic forum his wife was up to something. Jim.

John Lucas
09-03-2005, 1:07 PM
answer: Norm. That project you are working on is intriguing him. Tommy couldn't make it.

Tim Morton
09-03-2005, 1:41 PM
per johns earlier post it would appear he is the likely visitor...and I thought he didn't like to fly!!!!:D

Norman Hitt
09-03-2005, 4:03 PM
I gotta say John M. also, and one other clue, (besides the wife thing), is the sleeping thing. He's not sleeping from being "Tired", He's just sleeping off the "Tranquilizers" he took so he could Ride the Airplane. :D

(I still don't understand this "Fear of Flying" thing some people have, when EVERYONE knows, "The Most Dangerous Thing about Flying, Is the DRIVE from the House to The Airport"). :confused: :D

Karl Laustrup
09-03-2005, 5:04 PM
Yea! In that little silver number that has two speeds...stop...and GO!

Can you keep him until later Tuesday? Then take him for a ride on the freeway for rush hour. :eek: Even in the silver number, that should be mostly STOP and a little go. ;) :D

Karl

Steve Clardy
09-03-2005, 5:40 PM
Hmmm. Mark probably won't be the same after John gets through there. Lol

Roy Wall
09-03-2005, 8:57 PM
I'm saying John Miliunas......

That's my first thought when he stated his "25 year anniversary gloat" in the off topic forum a few days ago.

A weekend + at the Mark Singer school of woodworking........:cool: or at least dinner & a shop / home tour.....

John - It's a good gig; believe me, I know!!!:) :)

Am I right, or am I right............:D

Karl Laustrup
09-04-2005, 7:20 AM
OK, Mark, you and your guest have had enough time to get aqauinted.

So let us know, before we all go crazy.

Karl

Mark Singer
09-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Very good guess's ....when the guest wakes up he can answer.....he is sleeping because I worked the sawdust out of him yesterday and he needs his beauty sleep....be nice to him.....remember its a special occasion...:rolleyes:

Tim Morton
09-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Very good guess's ....when the guest wakes up he can answer.....he is sleeping because I worked the sawdust out of him yesterday and he needs his beauty sleep....be nice to him.....remember its a special occasion...:rolleyes:

Be careful Mark....LB is pretty good digs, he may never want to go back to the snow!!!! Has he asked if you need a live-in butler yet? Or a handymen? I hear once his paws heal he is pretty good with a wrench!!!:D:D

Mark Singer
09-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I am interviewing him for handyman.....I need to make sure he doesn't ruin anything....he has a technique where I end up doing the work....:rolleyes:
Be careful Mark....LB is pretty good digs, he may never want to go back to the snow!!!! Has he asked if you need a live-in butler yet? Or a handymen? I hear once his paws heal he is pretty good with a wrench!!!:D:D

Roy Wall
09-04-2005, 10:54 AM
....he has a technique where I end up doing the work....:rolleyes:

The secret of a master handyman:cool: .............

Frank Chaffee
09-04-2005, 11:22 AM
You guys sure are milking this thing, aren’t you?

Fortunately, I know you will reward us for our (im)patience with lots of good pics!

Tim Morton
09-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I am interviewing him for handyman.....I need to make sure he doesn't ruin anything....he has a technique where I end up doing the work....:rolleyes:

plus I bet he would eat you out of house and home!!! Anf I'm not sure he would like all that fancy nouveau california cuisine ...he would want melted wisconsion cheddar on all those baby greens.:D:D

John Miliunas
09-04-2005, 1:42 PM
OK guys. I am writing this from the confines of the Singer Ponderosa. They're holding me captive!!!:eek: Man, if prisons would be like this, there'd be nobody running loose in the Free World!:D What a trip! It's been exciting, busy, fun, exciting, always on the "go" and did I mention fun???:D Mark and his wonderful bride of 34 years, Myriam, (TODAY!!!) are THE most gracious hosts one would ever encounter! I miss my family, but it's still gonna' be hard to leave. ('Course, Mark can't wait!).

Pictures will need to wait until I get back to my own machine, as I don't have a memory card reader with me. I've got plenty of pics, though, so look forward to that!

Oh, and the GRAND PRIZE for making the right guess first, goes to Mr. Becker! Good shot, Jim!:) :cool:

Joe Mioux
09-04-2005, 1:44 PM
Let me get this straight.....John's wife sends him to CA so that Mark gets free labor and help building all those doors?

HMMMm

Not a bad plan;)

Andy Hoyt
09-04-2005, 1:49 PM
Makes one wonder what John's better half is up to.

Mark Singer
09-04-2005, 1:57 PM
It took him and Ryan 5 hours to build 2 doors yesterday.....they are slowing me down!:D ....I will lock him in the shop and see what happens..just water...no food...Prison you know
Let me get this straight.....John's wife sends him to CA so that Mark gets free labor and help building all those doors?

HMMMm

Not a bad plan;)

Jim Becker
09-04-2005, 2:01 PM
Oh, and the GRAND PRIZE for making the right guess first, goes to Mr. Becker! Good shot, Jim!

So...what did I win??? :o:p:eek:

Karl Laustrup
09-04-2005, 2:33 PM
Congrats Spring. Enjoy yourself and try not to mess up those doors. ;) :D

And to Mark and your lovely bride.......

Happy Anniversary!!!!

Karl

Mike Stanton
09-04-2005, 2:39 PM
I bet it is one of his kids . Mike

Dan Forman
09-04-2005, 4:32 PM
It took him and Ryan 5 hours to build 2 doors yesterday.....they are slowing me down!:D ....I will lock him in the shop and see what happens..just water...no food...Prison you know

I believe the industry standard for such work was a thin gruel, will get more work out of him that way, and no trouble from the union.

Dan

John Miliunas
09-05-2005, 2:09 PM
Whew.....Close to 24 hours now and he finally let me out to see daylight! I feel fortunate, though. His wife snuck out to the shop last night and threw in a couple pieces of toast and I think one of them may have even had some butter on it!:D And you know all that talk about the pizza buried under all the wood and sawdust? Don't believe it! I spent half the night looking for it, to no avail!:( I think what probably happened is, the last poor WW he held captive in there, must've found it, as I did not there was something which looked like a small chunk of peperoni under the outfeed table!:eek:

Seriously, just having the time of my life. Spending some time in the shop and then on the run most of the other time. Met some really super great friends of Mark and Myriam and everyone has been most gracious. This HAS to rank as the best vacation I've ever had!:D More to come later....:) :cool:

Mark Singer
09-05-2005, 8:35 PM
Pretty good behavior today....he didn't ruin anything....I think I'll feed him...:eek:
Whew.....Close to 24 hours now and he finally let me out to see daylight! I feel fortunate, though. His wife snuck out to the shop last night and threw in a couple pieces of toast and I think one of them may have even had some butter on it!:D And you know all that talk about the pizza buried under all the wood and sawdust? Don't believe it! I spent half the night looking for it, to no avail!:( I think what probably happened is, the last poor WW he held captive in there, must've found it, as I did not there was something which looked like a small chunk of peperoni under the outfeed table!:eek:

Seriously, just having the time of my life. Spending some time in the shop and then on the run most of the other time. Met some really super great friends of Mark and Myriam and everyone has been most gracious. This HAS to rank as the best vacation I've ever had!:D More to come later....:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Congrats John!! :) :)

John Miliunas
09-08-2005, 12:53 PM
So, I've been promising some pics and finally, here they are!:) Just a few highlights of this wonderful trip.

First up, Mark contemplating our next move on the Balboa house doors. Next, is Mark's son, Ryan, helping out with routing out mortises. (Under the careful eye of The Boss, of course! :D ) Then, speaking of the Balboa house, just one of the awesome views from the new home-in-progress. The next view is from the poolside of Mark's house. This shot overlooks Laguna Beach community and catches the public beach there at the bottom. A bit hazy, but one can still get a decent feel of what the view is like. Again, awesome!!! And last, but most certainly not least, my wonderful hosts, Mark and his bride, Myriam. This was shot at one of his client's homes-in-progress. Can't say that I've ever been to a surprise birthday party at a partially built house, but this one kicked butt!!! I still "...don't believe it!":D Thanks for looking and allowing me to share!:) :cool:

Roy Wall
09-08-2005, 1:03 PM
John,

Well, you couldn't help but have a blast - the Singer Family is a wonderful, giving group!!

A lot of talent up there on the hills of Laguna Beach!!

Don Baer
09-08-2005, 1:04 PM
Thats it. You spend an entire weekend at the Singer estate and you only have 4 picture to show us. An how come Mark and Ryan are doing all of the work. I thought thats why you went out there....;)

Great gloat John and I'm glad we had good weather while you were here on the left coast.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-08-2005, 1:14 PM
A simply amazing trip!!! When I visit next week, we will have to go over more of the pics :) I will have some pics for you as well that you have been asking for :)

Lee DeRaud
09-08-2005, 3:24 PM
Great gloat John and I'm glad we had good weather while you were here on the left coast.He's from Wisconsin. By those standards we never have bad weather here. :cool:

Andy Hoyt
09-08-2005, 3:28 PM
Mark, I think you need to update your little photo thingie. Far too much dark hair and way too much of it!

Mark Singer
09-08-2005, 3:28 PM
It was really tough to get any work out of John....he was on vacation:D
Thats it. You spend an entire weekend at the Singer estate and you only have 4 picture to show us. An how come Mark and Ryan are doing all of the work. I thought thats why you went out there....;)

Great gloat John and I'm glad we had good weather while you were here on the left coast.

John Miliunas
09-08-2005, 5:54 PM
He's from Wisconsin. By those standards we never have bad weather here. :cool:

Well, if this last weekend was any indicator of your typical weather, then I wholeheartedly agree! Magnificent!:)

Well, that is, for the real, real short periods of time, when my captor let me out of the sweatsho....errrrr....woodshop!:eek: Heck, I only had time to shoot a couple hundred pics the whole time I was there! :D Sure is a good thing Myriam was around when I managed to gnaw through the leather shackles or I'd be dead meat right now! Sorry Mark, but I really had to go to the bathroom, 'ya know?!:D

Mark Singer
09-08-2005, 6:55 PM
John,

Can you fly back the shop needs sweeping?

John Miliunas
09-08-2005, 6:59 PM
Now there's a tempting offer, if ever I've heard one!:D Except this time, do you have something bigger than that 2" trim brush you gave me Sunday?:confused: That's a pretty big shop, you know!:) :cool:

Joe Mioux
09-08-2005, 9:05 PM
HMMMMM...............

So far there is no actual proof that John M ever entered into CA air space.:confused:

I remember a year or so ago, that there were Picture Police who patrolled this beat very well.:(

The few pics presented in this thread only show M & M Singer & family.:)

Where is the Big M?:confused:

If this happened back around 01-April-05, I would be thinking to myself.....;)

JOe

John Miliunas
09-08-2005, 9:47 PM
Sheeeeesh Jo-e-e-e-e-e! If I didn't know better, I'd say you think we're lyin'!:eek: Well then.....(NOTE: I'm the ugly one, next to Mark!):D :) :cool:

Joe Mioux
09-08-2005, 10:00 PM
ROFL.... Im still not convinced, you are a computer guy and you can cut and paste with the best of them.

Lets see you getting dirty and dusty.... I bet you can't cut and paste flying sawdust. LOL

Sorry John, couldn't help but wonder:)

Joe

John Miliunas
09-08-2005, 10:29 PM
ROFL.... Im still not convinced, you are a computer guy and you can cut and paste with the best of them.

Sorry John, couldn't help but wonder:)

Joe

Well Joe, I guess there just ain't no convincing you!:( True, I'm a computer dude but, graphics is definitely not my forte! Heck, I never even learned how to do Photoshop!:rolleyes: No, I'm afraid I was the only one shooting pics in the shop. (And that was only when he didn't have me duck taped to a sander in each hand!:eek: ):) :cool:

Don Baer
09-09-2005, 12:03 AM
OK John,
I believe you visited Case de Singer, but did ya acuallly get any wood working done or just site see.

Jim Becker
09-09-2005, 9:09 AM
'How come Mark is the only one holding a beverage?? Were you too nervous, John?? ;)

John Miliunas
09-09-2005, 9:14 AM
'How come Mark is the only one holding a beverage?? Were you too nervous, John?? ;)

Naw, not at all nervous. I had already finished mine. :) As for Mark, we had to take the nipple off the bottle, for the sake of the picture!:D :cool:

Jim Becker
09-09-2005, 9:16 AM
Lolrofl!!!!!!

Scott Coffelt
09-09-2005, 9:23 AM
I am truly convinced that Mark is the host with mostest, everyone thaqt goes there just raves about the hospitality. It's truly amazing how the Internet and places like this can introduce folks from all over the world. Awesome.

I'd never make it, I eat all the time and bread ain't enough. Heck, I see he even wouldn't let you have a drink at the party, what a slave driver. I am sure you had to get right back to the dungen err' shop after the party pic.

I am always impressed with the views from Mark's place, it shows why people would risk those deadly mud slides. To wake up and go to bed at night with the view, totally worth it.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-09-2005, 9:25 AM
That's John, finishing his drink before the host! I think all Wisconsinites are that way, drink FAST :)

John, it is amazing, you do clean up well!! :) Maybe it was just the company :)

Karl Laustrup
09-09-2005, 1:24 PM
John, it is amazing, you do clean up well!! :)

Wait a minute!!!

Are you telling me that the person standing next to Mark, in that picture is Spring? :confused: :eek: Are you sure about that Jeff? :confused: :)

I certainly don't recognize that person. There's no sawdust on his clothes or in his mustache.

As far as not having a beverage, it's probably because Mark had already heard of Spring's reputation. ;) :D

Glad you all had a great time. Now, can we get Mr. Singer back to Wisconsin and see if knows good chesse when he tastes it? ;) :)

Karl

Jeff Sudmeier
09-09-2005, 2:33 PM
Wait a minute!!!

Are you telling me that the person standing next to Mark, in that picture is Spring? :confused: :eek: Are you sure about that Jeff? :confused: :)

I certainly don't recognize that person. There's no sawdust on his clothes or in his mustache.

Glad you all had a great time. Now, can we get Mr. Singer back to Wisconsin and see if knows good chesse when he tastes it? ;) :)

Karl

Karl,

You said it all!! I didn't know he had clothes that nice!! :) :)

Mr Singer, you are welcome in Wisconsin ANYTIME!! I am sure that Karl, John and Myself could show you around. Be warned though, John isn't really a high flueting (Sp?) type, no matter what he did out there! Brats on the grill and a cold beer with friends is living the good life out here!! :)

Lee DeRaud
09-09-2005, 2:43 PM
Mr Singer, you are welcome in Wisconsin ANYTIME!! I am sure that Karl, John and Myself could show you around. Be warned though, John isn't really a high flueting (Sp?) type, no matter what he did out there! Brats on the grill and a cold beer with friends is living the good life out here!! :)If you go, take some happy-cow cheese with you, just to show them how it's done.:cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-09-2005, 3:04 PM
If you go, take some happy-cow cheese with you, just to show them how it's done.:cool:

Ohh I won't even comment on that one!! (Okay so I will). I have read that the cows in the commercials aren't even dairy cows!!!

Lee DeRaud
09-09-2005, 4:05 PM
Ohh I won't even comment on that one!! (Okay so I will). I have read that the cows in the commercials aren't even dairy cows!!!You mean the "Cheesehead Cows" standing out in the snow? :p

Tim Morton
09-09-2005, 6:54 PM
Naw, not at all nervous. I had already finished mine. :) As for Mark, we had to take the nipple off the bottle, for the sake of the picture!:D :cool:

I was going to comment on the "hanky" wrapped around the beer ...that must be a "west of I-5" thing...but at least I didn't see a lime in the bottle:D:D whenever my east cost friends used to visit me in SD they would gag on drinking corona's and if they were ever served a beer with a lime in it...watch out*LOL* Personally I LOVE corona....(if that is a corona in the picture)