PDA

View Full Version : what to do with a small chisel plane?

Matthew N. Masail
12-07-2015, 2:19 PM
I have a small woodriver chisel plane. I've had it for 6 years and used it maybe twice out of curiosity. I only bought it because something else I ordered was out of stock and I figured "what the hell I'll try it". now I'd like to figure out what the hell I can do with it lol it has no adjuster, and I'm open to ideas... carfully weld extra parts onto to body to make a rebate block plane maybe? ..

Brian Holcombe
12-07-2015, 4:31 PM
I end up using a chisel in almost every situation where a chisel plane could be used, except removing glue.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2015, 4:49 PM
My Stanley shoulder planes, like many shoulder planes, can be configured to be chisel planes. I have never found a need for them that couldn't be done with a chisel.

They might be handy for trimming dowel ends or proud pins or dovetails.

jtk

John Sanford
12-07-2015, 4:56 PM
Glue cleanup. A task for which they are very well suited.

Matthew N. Masail
12-07-2015, 5:47 PM
Thanks guys, I don't think I'll ever go through the trouble to set a chisel plane to clean glue, A chisel works just fine (not Brains chisels). Trimming dowels and stuff also a chisel job in my book. No wild ideas then? I'm not trying to invent a use for it, just wondering if there is anything practical I can do with the damn thing.

Jim Belair
12-07-2015, 5:58 PM
Just sell it.

John Vernier
12-07-2015, 6:09 PM
The only time I think a chisel plane really saved my butt was cleaning glue off the insides of a gigantic bookshelf/cubbyhole thing where every shelf and divider corner joint had squeeze-out to clean up. I spent several hours chiseling glue in awkward deep recesses and cursing my employer who designed the wretched thing. That job didn't make me buy my own chisel plane, but that was the moment when I learned that glue squeeze-out is something not to overlook in your planning.

Rich Riddle
12-08-2015, 11:24 PM
I use the LN chisel plane for tight corners and glue cleanup.

Matthew N. Masail
12-09-2015, 2:34 PM
thanks... I guess I'll just wait for an idea to present itself.