PDA

View Full Version : Delta 380 planer

Bob Reda
12-07-2015, 8:16 AM
Where are folks getting parts to fix their delta dc380 planer?

Bob

John Aperahama
12-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Bob most of these machines of that era are almost identical and it really depends on what part you need.
Heavier items like beds etc will be, i am sorry to say, will be almost impossible to find although I am sure Delta may be able source them for you.
Bearings and seals are so common in specifications, that they can be found at any bearing supplier. My Sears/Dayton 15 inch is almost identical to Grizzly's offerings of that era ( as is yours) and in one case part numbers from one manual to another were identical.
Also these machines are so robust that apart from bearings and seals they do not wear out. I probably run 50 to 60 feet of wood through mine daily and have been doing that for 16 years.
I used to sell these generic planers back home 30 years ago. From Taiwan they seem to have been a standard specification and most were labeled ct-380 or some variation. Planers from Bridgewood and other now defunct companies all sold them. Other parts such as blades etc can be sourced from many companies especially Grizzly.

Bob Reda
12-07-2015, 11:43 AM
John,
Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that. I think it is a capacitor that went out and the fan on the other end is torn to shreds. I figured I would have to go find them somewhere. I talked to Delta today and they told me that I would have to call all the service centers to see if they had parts because some may have stockpiled some :) Its been a workhorse for me also, I was hoping someone would take it and do a overhaul on it, I've had it for almost 20 years and this is the first time it went down, besides I spent about $300 on the self setting knives I don't want to throw away.

Bob

Peter Quinn
12-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Seems if the capacitors are shot and the fan is destroyed....may be time for a new motor, still cheaper by far than a new planer. I don't think the motor mount on the DC-380 is anything unique, probably need a mag starter too with a new motor as the 380 motor has its own simple switch built in. Not much help from delta getting parts these days I'm reading even for machines they still make! I have a 380 and a delta jointer that both work well, I feel pretty much no parts service on those at this point.

Kerry Wright
12-07-2015, 3:29 PM
I have used ereplacementparts dot com for some items (gears and what not) on my DC-380. John is correct about the bearings and seals, if you can't find a number on them, pull out a set of calipers (just remember they are all metric) and hit some manufacture web site.

I just did a quick check and your fan and cap are listed as discontinued. So the first thing I would do is take it (probably get away with taking just the parts) to a local electric motor repair shop. I bet they can fix you up for a lot less than you think.

BTW, if you need a knife head replacement for your planer I happen to have one laying around. Shelix is sweeeeet!:D

Ken Higginbotham
12-08-2015, 3:04 PM
Sometimes you can match parts up with something at grizzly

dave werkheiser
12-09-2015, 9:43 AM
If you live anywhere near a "Amish" community and have any machinery brokers, check them for electrical parts and motors. I live near Lancaster Pa. where "Blue Ball Machinery" is located, they sell to a lot of Amish wood shops. They request that their machines have the electrics be removed and replaced with hydraulics. Years ago, I replaced a 3ph motor with a new 1ph. motor I got from this company.
David