PDA

View Full Version : Talking about Flashlights

Tim Boger
12-06-2015, 8:14 PM
I want to buy a Re-chargeable LED Flashlight for use morning and evenings when I let the dogs out in the dark, perhaps something with a wall mount ....

anyone have recommendations?

Thanks, Tim

Keith Outten
12-06-2015, 8:28 PM
Tim,

It probably won't be the cheapest option but you might consider purchasing the flashlight that matches your battery drill. You can use the same batteries and already have a charger so you can just purchase the flashlight.

I use Milwaukee battery drills and I have both the 12 and 18 volt flashlights. When we have long power outages I always have plenty of extra batteries for the flashlights. I also have a Milwaukee USB charger so I can charge my cell phone or my notebook from the Milwaukee batteries.

Rich Engelhardt
12-06-2015, 8:30 PM
Harbor Freight freebie? ;)

Just half kidding. I have a half dozen of them laying around and they do come in handy.

I've had a Stanley similar to this:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=240885-89606-FL5W10L&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3726290&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
For close to ten years now & it's still going strong.

I keep it in the van and use the 12 V charger every month or so to top it off.

Tim Boger
12-06-2015, 8:43 PM
Interesting idea Keith, my Makita drill is probably 10 years old .... I wonder if they even make a light for the older technology.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Tim Boger
12-06-2015, 8:45 PM
Hey Rich ... that is actually the light that got me interested in the LED flashlights, it's on my short list.

Thanks

Tom M King
12-06-2015, 8:46 PM
Not allowed to post an ebay link here, but copy and paste this into the search there: TrustFire C8-T6 2000 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED

Tom M King
12-06-2015, 8:48 PM
They make almost any other flashlight obsolete. You can buy the Lithium Ion 18650 batteries with chargers cheap on ebay too. Notice that is 2000 lumens. We have a number of them sitting around the house here. I also got a 5000 lumen one that takes a 26650 battery too. It will light up a couple of acres. These are flashlights you can carry in your pocket.

Notice that big, bulky Stanley linked above is only 120 lumens.

Tim Boger
12-06-2015, 8:58 PM
Amazing .... thanks!

Myk Rian
12-06-2015, 9:02 PM
I want to buy a Re-chargeable LED Flashlight for use morning and evenings when I let the dogs out in the dark, perhaps something with a wall mount ....

anyone have recommendations?

Thanks, Tim
For that type usage, you don't need a rechargeable.
I have a single LED Rayovac with 2 AA batteries. I only need to change them once a year. I use it a lot on stage as a lighting tech.

Tim Boger
12-06-2015, 9:22 PM
I would like to be able to have a "spot Light" function as the pups often get into the woods 50yds away in complete darkness .... their small dogs as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wade Lippman
12-06-2015, 9:32 PM
For that type usage, you don't need a rechargeable.
I have a single LED Rayovac with 2 AA batteries. I only need to change them once a year. I use it a lot on stage as a lighting tech.

Exactly. LED flashlights use so little current that batteries last forever, anything rechargeable is silly.
Likewise, 2000 lumens is totally unnecessary unless you need to illuminate something a quarter mile away.
While the HF freebie is perhaps not adequate, you can get a really nice one for less than $10.
For instance:
http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=pd_cp_469_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1407NYHDJFJ6AX7WQWY9

Myk Rian
12-06-2015, 9:32 PM
I don't think I'd like lugging around a flashlight with my drill battery attached to it. Kinda ungainly. For a quality light, get yourself a nice Maglite.

Tim Boger
12-06-2015, 10:07 PM
I hadn't really considered the great battery life ... good point, thanks.

Lee Schierer
12-06-2015, 10:14 PM
I have one of these 326646 that I use when we go camping to walk my dog and to avoid things that might smell really bad in the dark. You can get a rechargeable battery pack for it. You won't believe the beam on this one.

John K Jordan
12-06-2015, 11:30 PM
You may get a lot of recommendations from flashlight freaks. I am a flashlight freak and have bought a wide variety in search of the perfect light. I have horses, llamas, donkeys, guineas, peacocks, etc and spend a lot of time outside at night, EVERY night, feeding and checking on things. I do not buy flashlights to collect or for lumen bragging rights.

I keep several favorites handy. One is a cheap three D-cell light with a very powerful spot. Great for seeing everything and checking on problems but bulky to carry. Although bulky I can still hold it under a shotgun and light up the target.

My hands-down favorite for use around the farm is a Fenix LD22. I have five of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C86Z824

Reasons I like the Fenix:
- It is quite small and perfect for the pocket.
- It uses two AA alkaline batteries. (I hate rechargeables)
- It last for hundreds of hours of continuous use on the lowest power setting so it is perfect for walking around.
- High power settings are instantly accessible from a SEPARATE side switch. I hate lights the force you to go through modes every time, especially the brain-damaged flashing and SOS modes.
- At high power it is plenty bright to check on alpacas 200 ft across the field.
- The switch is done right: press half way for momentary light which is often all I need, press further to click to leave it on. I don't like switches that require you to click then turn on the light when the button is released.

For much higher power, but still with side-button mode changes the Nitecore P12 is great. This bundle costs more but comes with extras:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GZ9BK5O
I have only one of these. Some things:
- It is bigger in diameter than the Fenix due to the battery size.
- It uses either rechargeable or non-rechargeable lithium batteries.
- It is ridiculously bright on the highest setting. It could destroy your eyes. Amazing in the woods at night.
- Low power is quite low but sufficient for walking in the woods at night.
- Low power battery run-time claim is over 500 hours.
- It has a built-in volt meter to check on battery power.
- It has the right kind of clicky switch.

A worry is the comment about letting the dogs out at night. I hope they are let out into a fenced area!

Around here many people believe it is unkind to restrain dogs from running free. This can create huge problems for the community and liability for the owners. I have some experience with the results of this. In this area it is not legal to allow dogs off the owner's property without a leash and owners have been fined. One neighbor fenced his dogs only after repeat visits from the law. Some people never see their loveable dogs again that are let out to run free, either day or night. One neighbor's dog was recently found seriously hurt by a car on our quiet lane where no one drives fast. Dogs instinctively form packs with other friendly family dogs and harass and kill livestock for fun. Three times so far sweet kid-friendly neighborhood dogs have killed guineas on my property. Three dogs from down the hill once got inside my fence at 3 AM and were trying to catch and kill my goats until I chased them off. A farmer down the road shot five neighborhood dogs one evening that were circling HIM for the kill - one was a very nice dog that belonged to his good neighbor. Some years ago a hunter shot three sweet neighborhood dogs that were running a deer. One guy near here routinely traps and disposes of "stray" dogs that threaten his animals. Llamas are often kept as guards for sheep and goats and will certainly kill a dog that gets in a fence. One of my horses once stomped a trespassing dog right into the ground. No dog is a match for a 1200 lb horse. Or a car.

I take my own dogs on my rounds a lot but they otherwise stay in a fenced lot. I fenced in a 1/4 acre wooded run for them with 6-foot chain link.

OK, off my soapbox now...

JKJ

Mike Henderson
12-06-2015, 11:43 PM
I don't think I'd like lugging around a flashlight with my drill battery attached to it. Kinda ungainly. For a quality light, get yourself a nice Maglite.
I have several Maglights and really like them. I have some with two D cells and some with 3. The 3's are overkill.

They're bright and the batteries last a looong time. While I never had to use one, I can imagine they would make good weapons, also. Cops used to use them but I don't know if they still do.

Mike

Tim Boger
12-07-2015, 7:10 AM
Morning John,

Thank you for all the info, more than I could ask for yet every bit of it useful. If I had more than 2 fingers that know how to type my reply would be far more elaborate.

Your recommendations will help narrow the field.

Thanks for the advice, I keep a close eye on the pups .... they're house dogs that love to root around in the leaves when we let them out.

Appreciate it,
Tim

Jerome Stanek
12-07-2015, 7:58 AM
I have the Ryobi tek4 flashlight that came bundled with my headphones, drill, scissors and a USB charger from Home Depot. The flashlight is real powerful for the size. It will shoot a beam that I can see 500 ft away

John K Jordan
12-07-2015, 8:39 AM
I keep a close eye on the pups .... they're house dogs that love to root around in the leaves when we let them out.

Oh, good! I figured woodworking people in general are smarter than the average yahoo in the rural areas around here. One neighbor lost three little dogs and still didn't learn. Well he lost his wife too after HE went running around at night but that's a different story.

Oh, I forgot to mention the brand of the inexpensive D-cell LED lights I like so much. They are "Defiant" and Home Depot here usually carries them around Christmas. They sell Defiant lights all year but the only ones I've seen at other times have had the moronic multi-mode switch. I want a dumb switch that makes the light come on bright then go off again. (If it's not clear on the package I always make them take it out of the package and test before I buy.) When I can find them I always buy several. I keep one in the shop, one by the door in the house, one in the truck.

These are cheap and might be perfect to keep by the door for your backyard use.

JKJ

Robert Delhommer Sr
12-07-2015, 8:45 AM
I have a few of this type from Amazon but got mine on E_Bay for less, I love them. I keep a few around the house and a couple in the camper and truck and one in my pocket. I have a few extra rechargable batteries and a couple of chargers. Love them.

Exactly. LED flashlights use so little current that batteries last forever, anything rechargeable is silly.
Likewise, 2000 lumens is totally unnecessary unless you need to illuminate something a quarter mile away.
While the HF freebie is perhaps not adequate, you can get a really nice one for less than $10.
For instance:
http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=pd_cp_469_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1407NYHDJFJ6AX7WQWY9

David Linnabary
12-07-2015, 9:03 AM
Do yourself a favor and grab a headlamp at an outdoor store. Black Diamond makes one called a Spot in the $30 range, it takes 3 (AAA) batteries and will last for months being used a couple times a day for dog duty. Literally I have 3 of them and probably only replace batteries in them yearly. The one I take backpacking I do change more often. This particular model toggles between a "proximity mode" and a full on "spot mode" for distance and is dimmable in either mode. It articulates downward for close up work. There are tons of makes and models, this one is just very minimal but quite powerful and of good quality. I often forget I'm wearing it.

Soon you'll be using the headlamp for all sorts of other tasks, often I grab one just to have in my coat pocket as I walk out the door at night for a little peace of mind. It's a must have for power outages or trips to the breaker box or poking around the furnace/hot water heater.
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/...2FREDALL1.html (http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns/spot-BD620612FREDALL1.html)

David

Tom M King
12-07-2015, 11:25 AM
We've had Mag lights for decades. Numbers of the little AA ones, even changed to the LED upgrade, and 2, 3, and 4 D cell ones. The little lights with the CREE leds, and rechargeable Li batteries have made the Maglights obsolete. I took all the batteries out of them, and stored them in case they are any use in the future.

Robert and Wade, what type of switch do those lights have? Is it simply on/off, or one of the multi-function switches. The one thing I would change on the 2000 lumen ones is to a simple on/off. The multi-function is sometimes more aggravation because if it ends up on the wrong one, you have to cycle through all five functions. It's not that bad, but I'd rather just have on/off.

I order them off ebay direct from a Chinese shipper with free shipping. It takes a while on a slow boat from China, but not that bad.

The 25 buck 5000 lumen ones have a twist switch that has three different brightness levels. It's also waterproof. You can shine it up at a tree canopy, and have a nice light for a large area. It's a pocket full though.

2000 may be more than you want in a city, but out here in the country, I've never given one to anyone that didn't love it. Someone said 2000 lumens is not needed, but I remember hearing people say that when car manufacturers started putting power windows in cars. Last week, we had a vet out at night for one of the horses. He wanted me to sell him my flashlight, and me buy another one. I keep stocked up on them to give as gifts, so he got his Christmas present a little early. He was trilled!

Don't knock them until you try one. They're cheap, and the batteries and chargers are much cheaper than the light. Anyone who gets one, report back to this thread. I'm still looking for the first person that doesn't believe these are a game changer.

Headlights are great for some things. But I don't like them for general use. Nothing better for some things when you need to use both hands, like working on something. I remember one night I was backpacking, and really tired. It was well after dark before we were in the tent getting ready for bed. I looked all around the tent for my flashlight, and couldn't find it. We had a really good laugh.