PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Garage Alarm

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-06-2015, 4:17 PM
Last week I noticed that the handle on my garage door was very hard to turn. Upon further inspection one of the levers that's part of the locking mechanism had bent a support that it moves through. I fixed the support piece and it worked fine until a few days ago where i noticed the same handle was very loose.

My workshop is in my garage, and this might have been done by someone trying to break in. I highly doubt that this is a coincidence as far as the support and then the handle giving me issues. I live in a dead end street so it's relatively quiet.

I was thinking of either adding a hinged hasp with a heavy duty padlock as an extra layer of security but was also considering a motion detector/alarm. I'm interested in a security system that will make an audible noise when not turned off in a pre determined time and send me a notification to my iPhone.

Can anyone recommended a reliable, not too expensive system? If I can add a outdoor security camera to it that records video it would be a huge plus.

Thank you!

Rich Riddle
12-06-2015, 4:25 PM
A Honeywell Vista 20 with a wired system. You can set it up to call your phone. They are far superior to wireless and cost less.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-06-2015, 4:32 PM
A Honeywell Vista 20 with a wired system. You can set it up to call your phone. They are far superior to wireless and cost less.

Are they easy to install? Funny that you mention Honeywell, my neighbor around the corner was an installer of security systems for Honeywell, but now works for Stanley doing the same thing. I don't want to ask him to do it and this is why I came here. Not to mention the price that he would probably charge.

Rich Riddle
12-06-2015, 6:27 PM
You can install it for an average person in a few hours. Programming it has a learning curve, but isn't really an issue. Plan it to be a day project and you will do fine. I just installed one in a pole barn business in about three hours including programming, but I know them inside and out.

Larry Frank
12-06-2015, 7:19 PM
Due to similar concerns and issues, we had a wireless system installed with sensors on an out building and motion detectors in the garage along with the rest of the house. It is a monitored system and has worked well. It also has smoke detectors, temperature alarms, and CO detectors.

A lot of how well it works is the installer which is a local business. The also come out and fix any problems.