PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Spotlight

Rich Riddle
12-06-2015, 12:20 PM
We are experiencing some minor problems with people visiting our backyard. We found a small homeless camp, folks are hunting, cutting trees, shooting weapons, made an archery range, stealing yard tools, etc. I spoke with one of the neighbors living below us and he expressed the belief that people living down there considered "the woods" community property and they refuse to honor property boundaries. I have cleared "the woods" 2/3 the way down and that effectively exposed all the former "pathways" and opened the entire yard up to view from our home. Now I need a spotlight to illuminate about 400 to 500 feet down when we hear people down there. Any ideas on a light we can purchase? It would be used when we hear them. Thanks.

Brian Elfert
12-06-2015, 12:42 PM
What about one of those super bright handheld spotlights? Not sure where you get one.

Pat Barry
12-06-2015, 12:58 PM
trip wires and tin can noisemakers should do the trick

Jim Koepke
12-06-2015, 1:45 PM
Is there any local law enforcement?

Fire and health issues might get some interest.

Maybe an "anonymous tip" to Homeland Security. Get your local elected officials off their duffs.

Maybe work with the neighbors to make some loud noises in the middle of the night so folks find this an inhospitable location.

A few M80s at hourly intervals during the night might get them to move. Chain saws and falling trees in the early morning might also be effective.

jtk

Brian Henderson
12-06-2015, 1:53 PM
I'd be calling the police constantly on trespassers. I have had that problem, people coming onto my property, stealing off of my fruit trees, dumping, etc. So I complained to the police and they'd drive by and go in and either warn or arrest people on my property. I make sure it's well signed and anyone who goes in there is subject to police intervention. Once everyone gets the message, the problem largely goes away.

Rich Riddle
12-06-2015, 2:07 PM
We live on a very steep grade, so even if the police drive by the house the trespassers will literally be 100' lower than street level. If they go to the parallel street below us, they cannot see through the thicket up to where the trespassers go. I left the lowest 1/3 of the thicket and have no intention of clearing that. The neighbors down there won't help since they are the trespassers who feel they have the right to the land. The police say it isn't a problem; the mayor says the police have a handle on it (she lives on the street at the bottom that runs parallel to our street). If she made the police act, it would literally be acting against her neighbors. And the inaction allows the folks to do as they wish. I am installing motion lights but expect them to be damaged. I will order one of the hand-held spotlights.

George Bokros
12-06-2015, 2:10 PM
Sounds like you need some IED's, just kidding.

Mel Fulks
12-06-2015, 2:25 PM
Since not doing anything about tresspassers can actually create a legally recognized easement or eventual loss of title you might consider law suit against local authorities. The violations are " open and notorious" and and you are being denied help.

Rich Riddle
12-06-2015, 2:30 PM
Since not doing anything about trespassers can actually create a legally recognized easement or eventual loss of title you might consider law suit against local authorities. The violations are "open and notorious" and and you are being denied help.I might go that route if the problem persists. One reason for clearing the land of brush, dead trees, wild vines, etc. is to "open" the land so that I can have it surveyed and fenced. We plan to place a pasture fence up next year. That should eliminate any doubt where the property lines lay. The neighbors are arguing there is a "paper road" otherwise known as an easement on the property. It's not recorded on the deed or the PVA site. Fortunately, they do record many "paper roads" or easements on the PVA site (some just two houses away), so it's lore, not fact. There is a deed restriction on the size of my home, but nothing else. They likely won't like the fence.

Brian Elfert
12-06-2015, 4:01 PM
I don't understand why neighbors think they have rights to go on neighboring land they don't own. I have problems with snowmobilers driving on the edge of my property in the winter. It is illegal to ride there, but not much I can do about it. I've considered large boulders, but the expense would be more than I want to spend. The driving on my property doesn't bother me, but the noise sure does. If I force them off my property they'll just ride on the other side of the street and still make noise. Calling the sheriff won't do any good as it won't be an emergency and they'll be gone before a deputy shows up.

David Dockstader
12-06-2015, 5:30 PM
Personally, I prefer a more placid approach (some might call it passive-aggressive). Have you thought of cultivating some native plants along the back edge of your cleared property, more specifically poison ivy. It's a really pretty plant, turns a nice color in the fall and grows easily.

Rich Riddle
12-06-2015, 6:32 PM
Personally, I prefer a more placid approach (some might call it passive-aggressive). Have you thought of cultivating some native plants along the back edge of your cleared property, more specifically poison ivy. It's a really pretty plant, turns a nice color in the fall and grows easily.My wife mentioned lining the fence line with blackberry plants. The plus is that birds love them. We had them in Washington State and they are quite formidable.

Rick Potter
12-06-2015, 6:46 PM
Perhaps, I missed something, but can you not put up a basic barbed wire fence with signage at the property line? Then, if the trespassers cut the fence, report it, repair it and try a night camera in a nearby tree that is motion activated. You might get lucky and have proof for the police to make an arrest if they get caught cutting it again. They probably follow a known trail to get in.

Lee Schierer
12-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Guys, let's keep the responses to legal suggestions......

The make some really bright lights such as this one. 326645 that you can purchase at locations like this one (http://www.cabelas.com/product/golight-reg-stryker-8482-remote-spotlight/737876.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dspot%252Blight%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l %3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=spot+light). It is 500,000 candle power and has a range of about 1/2 mile. It should illuminate your situation.

John K Jordan
12-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Our farm has one horse pasture visible from my upstairs bedroom window. I used to use a fairly big spotlight to check on things. These days I've gone to LED flashlights which work better and last far longer. I found some with a great spot that use three D-cells. I can easily see about 700 ft to the end of the field at night.

I also have some 5x night vision binoculars which are great for spotting wildlife too.

The law here requires the landowner to put up No Trespassing/No Hunting signs on at least the corners of the property in order to have legal recourse. I like a sign I saw once: "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE WITHIN RANGE".

Game cameras are good for evidence as long as you also have the appropriate signs to warn the poor trespassers (stupid law).

JKJ

Doug Sewell
12-07-2015, 6:35 PM
Drone time.

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-07-2015, 6:56 PM
Several years ago I picked up a Vector brand 20 million candlepower spotlight so I could check out the livestock and wild critters in the far end of the pasture. Mine has 2 beams, so I can turn one or both on to really light the area up. It has a kick-stand that came in handy to position it when I needed to set it down and still position it to light an area up. It also has an LED light that I could turn on when I didn't want to spotlight the whole area.

While I did receive some teasing about it being such a monster of a beam, it has really come in handy over the years. It has a rechargeable battery and it held it's charge for quite some time.

Pat Barry
12-07-2015, 7:16 PM
If it were me, I would install motion detection spotlights at a couple key spots near your home and buildings and not be concerned with whats going on farther away.

Erik Loza
12-07-2015, 7:25 PM
Motion-activated sprinklers?

Erik

Tom M King
12-07-2015, 7:48 PM
Lob a bird bomb down there:

roger wiegand
12-07-2015, 8:07 PM
I'd be happy to let you have some cuttings from the wild roses that infest my meadow. You only try to walk through them once with anything other than a full-body kevlar suit. Man, do they hurt, and they grow 8 ft canes over the course of the summer.

paul cottingham
12-07-2015, 8:45 PM
Seriously, barb wire (3 or 4 wire) fence would establish the boundary. Blackberries would enforce it.

Mel Fulks
12-07-2015, 8:57 PM
Things like poison ivy are well known to those who trespass. They spray, wait for it to die and then they return. I live in the city near woods,keeping poison ivy and brambles down is an ongoing maintenance thing, and only the birds "plant " it.

Jerome Stanek
12-08-2015, 7:41 AM
electric fence

Rich Riddle
12-08-2015, 8:39 AM
I'd be happy to let you have some cuttings from the wild roses that infest my meadow. You only try to walk through them once with anything other than a full-body kevlar suit. Man, do they hurt, and they grow 8 ft canes over the course of the summer.
I might actually contact you this spring to get some plantings.Thanks.

Rich Riddle
12-08-2015, 10:25 AM
If it were me, I would install motion detection spotlights at a couple key spots near your home and buildings and not be concerned with whats going on farther away.Pat, the problem is that the neighbors are hunting down there and shooting deer rifles over our house when they miss the deer.

Pat Barry
12-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Pat, the problem is that the neighbors are hunting down there and shooting deer rifles over our house when they miss the deer.
Holy cow - you need the militia for sure

Mel Fulks
12-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Yeah,the roses sound good,even if someone kills them they stay dangerous a long time. There is an old rambler named
Feicite et Perpetue that is aggressive and impenetrable in zone 7. Light creamy pink small slightly fragrant flowers.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Yeah,the roses sound good,even if someone kills them they stay dangerous a long time. There is an old rambler named Feicite et Perpetue that is aggressive and impenetrable in zone 7. Light creamy pink small slightly fragrant flowers.

A neighbor of mine has theses roses I'm pretty sure. They grow very tall and are VERY hardy.

Steve Peterson
12-08-2015, 1:00 PM
I don't understand the interest in poison ivy or wild roses. Why plant something that will be a burden down the road if you ever want to do something with the land? Barb wire with a few signs is simple and doesn't destroy the property.

Steve

Mel Fulks
12-08-2015, 1:19 PM
Steve,as hateful a scourge as poison ivy is to people, it has its uses to wild life and is so aggressive that the idea of someone making it worse is like peeing in the ocean. My objection to it is there are ,out of nessesity, effective controls for it that are abused by trespassers. That is the threat to land and water.

Bruce Page
12-08-2015, 1:24 PM
Folks, please don't advocate dangerous or illegal solutions to the problem.

Scott Shepherd
12-08-2015, 1:50 PM
Sounds like you need a good lawyer more than a spotlight. If they are doing all that on your property and the county officials don't want to do anything, it's time to go over their head and get the next level involved. I suspect a letter to the State Attorney General might start the ball rolling on getting an explanation on why the police department won't stop people from trespassing on your property.

Pat Barry
12-08-2015, 2:16 PM
Maybe install one or two of those game / trail camera's in discrete locations

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2015, 2:45 PM
First, you need to establish the boundaries of your property by having it surveyed. I would suggest fencing it with barbed wire and putting up numerous visible signs stating "No Trespassing" and informing neighbors you are uncomfortable with them hunting there because your home is within the range of normal rifle rounds used for hunting. Most states have regulations restricting hunting within certain distances of homes or other buildings. Most cities/towns and communities have regulations restricting hunting or the use of firearms and other potential weapons within city limits.

I have hunted since I was the age of 9. I am not by any means anti-hunting but am instead for responsible hunting.

If people are hunting on your property, without your consent, with weapons that could harm you or your home or buildings, it's time to take some action.

Stew Hagerty
12-08-2015, 2:57 PM
When I built our house I was traveling a lot for business. So instead of the typical exterior coach lamp I installed a dusk-to-dawn High Pressure Sodium lamp. It only draws 70watts but it lights up our entire back yard and over to the other side of the pond which is easily 300'. Granted, at that range it's not like daylight, but you can definitely see what's going on. One was all I needed, but you could easily install multiples as needed. Oh, and they are not only economical from the standpoint of lumens, but in nearly 16 years, I am only on my 3rd bulb.

Jerome Stanek
12-08-2015, 4:14 PM
Sounds like you need a good lawyer more than a spotlight. If they are doing all that on your property and the county officials don't want to do anything, it's time to go over their head and get the next level involved. I suspect a letter to the State Attorney General might start the ball rolling on getting an explanation on why the police department won't stop people from trespassing on your property.

What is a lawyer going to do sit there and tell them they are trespassing. The police have to witness the problem. If they come out there is nobody around to arrest. I get tired of people saying you need a lawyer to calm a problem I can see you needing one if you go to court

Brian Henderson
12-08-2015, 4:31 PM
What is a lawyer going to do sit there and tell them they are trespassing. The police have to witness the problem. If they come out there is nobody around to arrest. I get tired of people saying you need a lawyer to calm a problem I can see you needing one if you go to court

Now I'm not going to go back and look, but it seems to me that the OP said the police weren't doing anything to stop the trespassers, they weren't even responding. That's where you get the lawyer involved because they can spark the police to action.

Jerome Stanek
12-08-2015, 5:58 PM
Like he said the police can not see the property from the road and they would be trespassing on the property below him. He did not say that he called the police either

Scott Shepherd
12-08-2015, 6:15 PM
Like he said the police can not see the property from the road and they would be trespassing on the property below him. He did not say that he called the police either

He said...

The police say it isn't a problem; the mayor says the police have a handle on it

That would indicate he's spoken to the police and the mayor.

I said to get a lawyer to send a strongly worded letter, not go to court and sue anybody. Clearly, when the police and mayor are not doing their jobs, you have to legally start moving up the chain. Doing that without legal advice probably isn't too smart. Believe me, I've done it. It ended up with a cop on my door step threatening me. He warned me never to call his boss about his inactions again or else.

Allan Speers
12-08-2015, 8:14 PM
Folks, please don't advocate dangerous or illegal solutions to the problem.

Seriously? We can't even make jokes now?

jeez........

Jerome Stanek
12-09-2015, 5:43 AM
A letter does nothing. You would be paying for something that you could do yourself by just talking to them. They could say they never got the letter or if it is registered just not sign for it and if they did get it just ignore it what are you going to do attitude. Our neighbor tried that with the family down the street had the lawyer send a letter and it didn't do any good. they would ride a 4 wheeler up and down the road and the police were called but never could catch them in the act.

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2015, 8:11 AM
A letter does nothing. You would be paying for something that you could do yourself by just talking to them. They could say they never got the letter or if it is registered just not sign for it and if they did get it just ignore it what are you going to do attitude. Our neighbor tried that with the family down the street had the lawyer send a letter and it didn't do any good. they would ride a 4 wheeler up and down the road and the police were called but never could catch them in the act.

I did say they needed to contact the State Attorney General if there was action from local outlets. I think that's a little stronger than a letter. Let's be clear, he has an issue, the county isn't doing anything. He shouldn't have to spend a penny to put up a fence, barbed wire, lights, or anything else. It's his property and it's been trespassed on. If the people responsible for solving that problem aren't doing their job, then you need to go over their heads until you find someone that will do their job and get the problem resolved.

Jerome Stanek
12-09-2015, 8:44 AM
I don't know where he lives but I live out in the country and our police have better things to do then chase down trespassers. They will come out but it may be a few hours before they get here.

Garth Almgren
12-09-2015, 6:16 PM
A few of these installed on the eaves pointing into the back yard should be able to give you some light back there:
http://www.lightingever.com/240w-high-power-led-flood-lights-dw.html.
Supplement with a high powered handheld LED spotlight when needed.

Rich Riddle
12-09-2015, 7:01 PM
A few of these installed on the eaves pointing into the back yard should be able to give you some light back there:
http://www.lightingever.com/240w-high-power-led-flood-lights-dw.html.
Supplement with a high powered handheld LED spotlight when needed.

Thank you very much for that link. We might go that way.

Rich Riddle
12-09-2015, 7:05 PM
I don't know where he lives but I live out in the country and our police have better things to do then chase down trespassers. They will come out but it may be a few hours before they get here.I live in Covington. It's not that they are trespassing that concerns us. It's the fact the had two gun ranges back there and one was pointed uphill directly at the house. The other longer range went across the back property about 250' from the house. One of the neighbors living at the bottom of the property indicated that they only fire .22 rifles at the targets going uphill toward the house. Last I checked a good .22 rifle could travel that far. They also hunted back there. We are strange and don't like bullets aimed in our direction.

Brian Elfert
12-09-2015, 8:57 PM
What does it say about society when one has to light up their property like a baseball stadium to ward off trespassers?

Mike Cozad
12-09-2015, 9:07 PM
What does it say about society when one has to light up their property like a baseball stadium to ward off trespassers?

Society's general lack of respect for others is precisely why I just sold my home in a neighborhood and bought an old farhouse where my nearest neighbor is nearly a mile down the road.