PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Tank Gasket

Sean Troy
12-05-2015, 8:02 PM
Ok, I'm pulling out the big guns now and asking my friends here on SMC for help. I need a new toilet tank gasket for a Kohler Toilet. Seems they changed the tank just enough over the last several years and the gasket I need is a different one from the ones they show now. It appears the new part number is GP1018165-F and I think I need a GP 1018165-A. The new one does not look like the one I'm replacing. I know I could wait until Monday and call Kohler but would rather get going now on this as I will need to order one. Any ideas on how to get the correct one? And yes I've been searching the internet for quite awhile :confused: with no luck. Thanks, Sean

Rich Engelhardt
12-06-2015, 1:43 AM
Need more info...

Inside the toilet tank you'll find the model number of the toilet.
We'll need that so we can locate the parts list for that particular model.

& yes - - Kohler is a miserable pain in the rear end about parts. I go round and round with parts for my Kohler on about an every two year basis.

One of these days - -it's going to have some sort of horrible accident happen to it...some galactic space hammer is going to fall out of the sky and smash it to pieces. (@ least that's the story I plan to tell my wife ;) )

Tom M King
12-06-2015, 7:49 AM
Lowes probably has one that will fit. Carry the old one with you.

Rich Engelhardt
12-06-2015, 8:03 AM
Lowes probably has one that will fit. Carry the old one with you.Worth a shot - but - - Kohler has umpteen bazillion different models that all use unique parts.
There's something like a half dozen different flappers alone for the Rialto line of toilet we have - each model in that style uses a different flapper.
And God help you if at some point along the line someone got frustrated trying to find an individual part and just threw in a $100 plus rebuild kit.
The rebuild kit parts are unique to that kit & the only way to repair something after that is - -to spring for another $100 plus rebuild kit.

Heck, the tool to remove the toilet seat runs $75! The seat runs another $100!

I can't stand Kohler - but - they are just about the only game in town ever since Moen quality disappeared.

Sean Troy
12-06-2015, 8:51 AM
Need more info...

Inside the toilet tank you'll find the model number of the toilet.
We'll need that so we can locate the parts list for that particular model.

& yes - - Kohler is a miserable pain in the rear end about parts. I go round and round with parts for my Kohler on about an every two year basis.

One of these days - -it's going to have some sort of horrible accident happen to it...some galactic space hammer is going to fall out of the sky and smash it to pieces. (@ least that's the story I plan to tell my wife ;) )
K-4634-BA is stamped inside the tank.

Sean Troy
12-06-2015, 8:52 AM
Worth a shot - but - - Kohler has umpteen bazillion different models that all use unique parts.
There's something like a half dozen different flappers alone for the Rialto line of toilet we have - each model in that style uses a different flapper.
And God help you if at some point along the line someone got frustrated trying to find an individual part and just threw in a $100 plus rebuild kit.
The rebuild kit parts are unique to that kit & the only way to repair something after that is - -to spring for another $100 plus rebuild kit.

Heck, the tool to remove the toilet seat runs $75! The seat runs another $100!

I can't stand Kohler - but - they are just about the only game in town ever since Moen quality disappeared.
Lowes, HD don't have the correct one. Been to both.

Rich Engelhardt
12-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Man oh man I have a headache.....

From the looks of things, the -A fits this:
http://www.kohler.com.cn/onlinecatalog/resources/pdf/SP_K-3499T-W.pdf
Which has a completely different flush assy.

The -F fits this
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Cimarron-toilet-tank-with-left-hand-trip-lever-and-tank-cover-locks/productDetail/a/425451.htm?skuId=393792&isSeachPage=true&pageName=maintenanceLanding&hash=id%3Dfilters%26startIndex%3D40%26scrollTop%3D 100

It looks like the -A, which you need is long gone & has been replaced with the -F and a whole new style flush assy.

I think you need to get the 1083980 flush assy - which will include the new(er) -F gasket.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?partNumber=1083980

I hate to say ti, but, you'll probably have to call Kohler to be sure.

Sean Troy
12-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Man oh man I have a headache.....

From the looks of things, the -A fits this:
http://www.kohler.com.cn/onlinecatalog/resources/pdf/SP_K-3499T-W.pdf
Which has a completely different flush assy.

The -F fits this
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Cimarron-toilet-tank-with-left-hand-trip-lever-and-tank-cover-locks/productDetail/a/425451.htm?skuId=393792&isSeachPage=true&pageName=maintenanceLanding&hash=id%3Dfilters%26startIndex%3D40%26scrollTop%3D 100

It looks like the -A, which you need is long gone & has been replaced with the -F and a whole new style flush assy.

I think you need to get the 1083980 flush assy - which will include the new(er) -F gasket.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?partNumber=1083980

I hate to say ti, but, you'll probably have to call Kohler to be sure.
Yeah, it's giving me a headache also. I guess I'll have to call them. thank you!!

Rollie Meyers
12-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Buy a Toto toilet & trash the Kohler.

Clarence Martin
12-07-2015, 12:36 AM
replace that toilet with an American Standard Model 4 toilet.

Rich Engelhardt
12-07-2015, 5:53 AM
Buy a Toto toilet & trash the Kohler.I wish.....
Toto is good stuff from what I've read.
I've tried to convince my wife to do just that for a long time.

Sean Troy
12-07-2015, 9:51 AM
Buy a Toto toilet & trash the Kohler.
Why would I replace a toilet that only needs a 5.00 part?:eek:

Sean Troy
12-07-2015, 11:41 AM
I found a supplier near me that Kohler recommends. I'll see if the new part fits as they say it will. $6.00 for the part.

Rollie Meyers
12-08-2015, 1:49 AM
Why would I replace a toilet that only needs a 5.00 part?:eek:

This thread is a pretty good reason, but I would buy a spare since your keeping it, save the aggravation later & doubt shipping would be much more so would save some money.

Rich Engelhardt
12-08-2015, 4:03 AM
This thread is a pretty good reason, but I would buy a spare since your keeping it, save the aggravation later & doubt shipping would be much more so would save some money.Exactly what I did....bought a spare handle since I went through a lot of aggravation the first time around.
Then Kohler changed the flapper design, just enough that the new design doesn't work with the old handle.
Now I have two handles that don't work...:mad:

Sean Troy
12-08-2015, 8:29 AM
Good news is the gasket fits just fine, they actually made a small change in it that makes it fit even better. Bad news is I dropped one of the tank to bowl bolts down the tank to bowl hole. Tried to get it back, my wife tried and my daughter tried to reach it also. I can only hope it flushes through alright. I've never had a toilet mock me so thoroughly before.....:(

Rich Engelhardt
12-08-2015, 12:56 PM
That's the "Bold" look of Kohler they talk about :D

More like the cold stare of Kohler ;)

Brad Adams
12-08-2015, 7:34 PM
Why didn't you lift up the bowl and turn it upside down?

Sean Troy
12-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Why didn't you lift up the bowl and turn it upside down?
Already mounted so I will just hope it goes through. It should, it's only 2". :o

Val Kosmider
12-11-2015, 3:34 PM
ACE Hardware has them. Take the old one.

Big Box Stores = Fail. Can't explain why.