PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers Saddle Square - Which Size?

Jason Lester
12-05-2015, 3:52 PM
I just got my Delve Square from Woodpeckers today. It will definitely make it easier to layout mortise and tenons. Instead of 3 combination squares, I can just use this one.

I was also thinking of getting in on their new Saddle Square. Ideally, I'd get the full set, put it is pretty expensive. I was thinking that the 6" model might be best if just getting one. It's big enough to do most layout stuff on a single board, but small enough not to be unwieldy on smaller items. Did anyone else buy the previous ones or have suggestions? I mostly make regular furniture, nothing really large scale.

Allan Speers
12-05-2015, 5:01 PM
I just ordered the 2.5". I figure that will cover most tasks when I really need the "saddle" part of it.

I already have their T-Squares in 12" and 24" (I wish I had gotten 12" and 30") so the 12" works fine where I might need 5" or 6".

I love being able to make a long accurate line by simply sliding across the stock. - But this is also why I got only 3" for the saddle square: Since it doesn't have a wide "T" end, I figure it will not be as stable as the T-Squares when sliding a line. The 3" would likely be a little easier to control than the 6".

My only hesitation is that their are other saddle squares available which, though they don't have those lovely pencil holes, appear to be slightly better designs. - but I've decided no to let this bother me. Besides, I'm a sucker for red anodized aluminum. :o
--------------------

Anyway, I just LOVE me them T-Sqares! Worth every penny. (a LOT of pennies. :( )

I hate their 9mm mechanical pencil though. The lead constantly breaks in the square unless you're incredibly careful. I wish they could invent a more robust lead. Until they do, I've gone back to regular pencils.

Curt Putnam
12-05-2015, 5:17 PM
I love my saddle squares, but all mine come from Lee Valley

Allan Speers
12-05-2015, 5:19 PM

Curt, that's my favorite design, also. Hence my point, above. But I figure ANY saddle square is better than none, and I love them pencil holes in the Woodpecker products.

Do you think the LV is significantly more functional, enough to not get the Woodpeckers? If so, in what way specifically?

Jim Belair
12-05-2015, 6:40 PM

Mine too....

Jason Lester
12-05-2015, 9:44 PM
Thanks guys. The Lee Valley ones don't seem to have as much functionality. I don't have any t-squares at all at this point. I guess I do everything the hard way right now.

Tony Zaffuto
12-06-2015, 6:42 AM

I feel the same about my LV! Great, handy tool, always out on my bench, used at least daily, if not multiple times. Like it so much, I bought a second to keep in a safe KNOWN space, in case I misplace the other.

Dirt cheap too!

Jim Koepke
12-06-2015, 12:54 PM
This is a good example of how many things are done in different ways.

It is easy to see how some will find the saddle squares a great help in the shop. At the same time for some they may get in the way.

The Woodpeckers Saddle Square has precisely drilled holes for marking lines a set distance from the edge of a piece being worked. Many years ago at an estate sale I bought one of my most used try squares. The original owner very carefully drilled holes every half inch. Somehow when I attempt to use them my pencil lead breaks or doesn't touch the wood. I know it isn't the fault of the tool.

Instead, when this kind of marking is needed, my Odd Job comes out and there isn't a problem. Though having looked at the saddle square it has given me an idea of making an insert for my Odd Job to mark mortise and tenon layouts.

Then again, an Odd Job works for me and others see it as a curious waste of time.

So, as brilliant as the Odd Job or Saddle Square may be, neither of them are the end all be all for everyone.

Back to the original question, if I was buying a saddle square, I would want one of the smallest ones for ease of use when laying out a mortise and tenon joint. This is why there are often two different try squares laying on my bench. Trying to balance a large tool on a narrow edge can be difficult and lead to marking errors.

I would likely also want the biggest one for working on larger layouts. Finally just for convenience all the in between sizes would likely be handy at times.

jtk

Curt Putnam
12-06-2015, 2:55 PM
I get a lot of value from my lV 45° miter saddle square - makes miter marking stupid simple. I use the saddle squares to extend a line around a side to mark for sawing, especially on a tablesaw. With a TS, I can line a tooth up with the line and get a very precise cut. Over the last couple of years, I've taken to using a marking knife more - knife won't fit into all those little holes. I have what I think is an Incra square with all kinds of holes drilled in it. Don't remember ever using it. Just goes to show that folks all work differently.

IMO & YMWV

Al Launier
12-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Any idea why the Woodpecker Delve Square was retired (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodpeckers-onetime-tool-delve-square.aspx)? Availability seems to be gone wherever I look???

Jim Koepke
12-07-2015, 1:11 PM
Any idea why the Woodpecker Delve Square was retired (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodpeckers-onetime-tool-delve-square.aspx)? Availability seems to be gone wherever I look???

Aren't all Woodpecker tools one time tools?

From watching their videos their set up seems to be best for single production runs.

jtk

John Sanford
12-07-2015, 3:19 PM

From watching their videos there set up seems to be best for single production runs.

jtk

No, not all. Most are One Time Tools, but there are some that they keep in stock.

Regarding the new Saddle T-Squares, I'm kinda torn. I know I'm almost certain to get at least one, because the Incra has shown me how useful a T-squared precision marking ruler can be. The Incra has also shown me that a stiffer blade would be useful frequently, a fact that combines with the Saddle aspect of these new critters to get my attention. I'm not, however, a fan of the .9mm pencil idea. If anybody who has their larger T-Squares with their 1mm holes can shed some light on whether the big honkin holes (compared to the Incra's .5mm holes) is a bother, I'd appreciate it.

This is truly one of those cases where the One Time Tool paradigm has me in a quandary.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2015, 4:38 PM

From watching their videos their set up seems to be best for single production runs.

jtk

No, not all. Most are One Time Tools, but there are some that they keep in stock.

This is truly one of those cases where the One Time Tool paradigm has me in a quandary.

Looking at my spelling errors in previous posts sometimes bugs me.

I am not a machinist so I do not know much about the process. I do not know if they make different tools at various stations or if all the stations are working on different steps of a single tool at a time.

They may have a large inventory, but they often seem to have limited runs of tools. Some the resurrect at times. It may be a way to enhance their value and people tend to get off the fence if it is only going to be available for a limited time.

They likely sell a lot to folks who feel they can make a profit in the secondary market.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
12-08-2015, 5:27 AM
Depends Jim! I have a number of CNC machines at my plant, some with multiple heads, multiple spindles, etc., but also with the ability to store programs, so as to not have to start from first base at each changeover. I believe Woodpecker has brought back on occasion some of their "one time" tools, so that's an indication of storing the "recipe"! I think the way they roll out their "one time" tools, is mostly a pretty good marketing scheme, to determine market, before running the tools, making enough to pass the break even point and not wasting funds on inventorying for future sales.

Cliff Polubinsky
12-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Allen,

Where did you see a 2.5" saddle square? Shortest one I see is 4".

Cliff

Shawn Pixley
12-08-2015, 2:05 PM
I think that you have it here. There is a limited demand for some tools that would never warrant full time production. They can gauge when there is enough pent up demand for a tool and then run a batch profitably. I think it a pretty good pragmatic business model. Unfortunately, since I scribe things more often than not, I would prefer their squares in steel. The only ones I saw were aluminum.