PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Windows 10

Lee Schierer
12-05-2015, 2:03 PM
I have active virus protection and malware detection, but apparently windows 10 doesn't like it. I have turned off the notifications in settings, but I still get warnings every few minutes while I'm on the computer. Is there any other way to turn off the annoying alerts?

I use F-prot for my virus protection but apparently windows 10 doesn't know it is there. I don't wan to change virus protection I just want to turn off the annoying reminders. Nor do I wish to go back to windows 8.

Brian Henderson
12-05-2015, 2:27 PM
Uninstall Windows 10.

Sean Troy
12-05-2015, 2:58 PM
I have active virus protection and malware detection, but apparently windows 10 doesn't like it. I have turned off the notifications in settings, but I still get warnings every few minutes while I'm on the computer. Is there any other way to turn off the annoying alerts?
What protection do you have?

Mike Henderson
12-05-2015, 3:08 PM
I have AVG on Win 10 and no problems.

Mike

Jim Becker
12-05-2015, 3:08 PM
Are you using Microsoft's AV solution or are you using a third party product? If the latter, be sure the former is turned off so there's no clashing. I frankly have just used the Microsoft solution for years now on any remaining Windows instances I have.

Wade Lippman
12-05-2015, 3:49 PM
Are you using Microsoft's AV solution or are you using a third party product? If the latter, be sure the former is turned off so there's no clashing. I frankly have just used the Microsoft solution for years now on any remaining Windows instances I have.

Check the reviews. Microsoft AV is completely worthless.

Dave Lehnert
12-05-2015, 5:19 PM

"Microsoft's Antivirus Scores Soar"
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492125,00.asp

Art Mann
12-05-2015, 5:32 PM
My new windows 10 computer came with McAfee antivirus preinstalled. The software is so invasive and performance crippling that I would almost prefer to take my chances with no protection. To get rid of it, you have to download a special removal tool from their website. You can't just uninstall it. I have used AVG for many years and it isn't nearly as bad. The base version is free.

Al Launier
12-05-2015, 5:40 PM
Kaspersky has been my AV choice for years & have not been disappointed with it.......................yet.

Bruce Page
12-05-2015, 5:47 PM
Art, I banished McAfee a few years ago, it slowed my old XP computer to a stand still. It's a worse resource hog than Norton.
As I recall, getting rid of it wasn't easy either.

Moses Yoder
12-06-2015, 5:24 AM
I use Avast free version with Windows 10 and have no problems with it. Probably not much help ;)

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-06-2015, 8:13 AM
To get rid of it, you have to download a special removal tool from their website. You can't just uninstall it. I have used AVG for many years and it isn't nearly as bad.

You need a special tool to uninstall AVG as well.

I've used Avira and Avast in the past, and while both were good, they do have a tendency to annoy you every now and then.
For the last year, I've been using the windows AV on 8.1 and it seems to work just fine, and you never know it's there.

Art Mann
12-06-2015, 5:49 PM

In light of that report, I may just try the Microsoft product when the free subscription to McAfee expires.

paul cottingham
12-06-2015, 7:42 PM
I don't know about now, but when i still owned my tech company, we would not, under any circumstances install AVG on a computer. We liked Avast, though. Hated McAfee as well. In fact, we often found the McAfee executable was the first program infected on a machine that had it installed on it.

the saying was "do you know what a technician calls an AVG user? A customer for virus removal."

as a further aside, i don't know if i would trust any review in a mainstream PC magazine. Not any more than I would for a mainstream woodworking mag.

Art Mann
12-06-2015, 8:15 PM
Maybe AVG is no good but I have used it for close to 10 years and it has detected every virus that showed up on my computer. How do I know? I occasionally use a variety of other programs to double check the effectiveness of AVG and I have nevere detected a virus with any other product that slipped by AVG.

Jim Becker
12-06-2015, 8:25 PM
Quite the contrary...it's been scoring well for some time now.

Myk Rian
12-06-2015, 9:12 PM
If you're using Win 7 or 8.1.
Re-read the article. Paragraph 6.

Allan Speers
12-06-2015, 9:15 PM
Kaspersky has been my AV choice for years & have not been disappointed with it.......................yet.

+1 on Kaspersky. - But I'm not on Win10 yet.

Brian Henderson
12-07-2015, 1:40 AM
Maybe AVG is no good but I have used it for close to 10 years and it has detected every virus that showed up on my computer. How do I know? I occasionally use a variety of other programs to double check the effectiveness of AVG and I have nevere detected a virus with any other product that slipped by AVG.

Same here, I've been using it for nearly a decade and not a single virus has gotten through. For something that's supposedly no good, it's amazingly effective.

paul cottingham
12-07-2015, 3:02 AM
Not to put too fine a point on it, but we found viruses fairly often on computers where people said exactly the same thing; "been using X for years, never had a virus."

This was particularly true of folks who used the free versions.

anyways, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. Use whatever product you wish. Just passing on an observation made from years of servicing computers and networks.

Dan Hintz
12-07-2015, 6:18 AM
as a further aside, i don't know if i would trust any review in a mainstream PC magazine. Not any more than I would for a mainstream woodworking mag.

I do not consider PCMag (et al) to be good testers of the more technical stuff (and AV software definitely fits that bill). Their "testing" is dubious, at best.

Avast for me...

Mike Null
12-07-2015, 6:43 AM
+1 on AVG free. I have used it for more than 10 years without issues. My pc is usually on 24-7 and I spend a fair amount of time on the web. It does not take over my pc as Norton did and as I hear McAfee does.

Izzy Camire
12-07-2015, 2:54 PM

Yes I have used Kaspersky for years with zero problems.

Kev Williams
12-07-2015, 5:31 PM
I've used McAfee, Norton, AVG and Avast.

All will stop viruses. The problem is, most will also nearly stop your whole computer. Years ago my sister somehow had Norton AND McAfee running. Took 22 minutes for XP to become useable from boot-up. After cleaning them out totally I ran AVG for a few years, until it did the same thing. Then I started using Microsoft Security Essentials. And my computers NEVER noticed it was there. Gee, imagine that...

But then came the end of XP service, and with it the end of MSE. So I've been using Avast since the XP scare, since I have 8 XP's on the internet. One of them is running zero firewalls or AV protection on purpose, just to see what happens. I have a Win98 computer that's been online over 5 years with zero protection. No issues. As for Avast, I love it, at least for XP. Most times it's barely noticeable. At worst, it's somewhat noticeable, but very tolerable.

However, running the same exact free Avast on 8.1 is a different story. When Avast is doing ANYthing, the computer is nearly useless. Windows won't scroll. Zooms won't zoom. Button pushes that are typically instantaneous take 8 full seconds to 'catch'. 8 seconds? What can possibly cause a 3 gig 4-core 8 gig ram computer 8 seconds for a mouse click to open a dialog window? A Radio Shack TRS-80 wasn't that slow!

I don't blame Avast for this, since my non-supported XP's work just fine and my so-called-supported 8.1 doesn't. And I see no reason 10 wouldn't act the same way. I lay all the blame on Microsoft. Conspiracy theorist that I sometimes am, I see no reason NOT to believe Microsoft doesn't turn these computers into slugs on purpose. They didn't make any money on Avast, AVG, Norton or McAfee. It's a good bet that a Win10 running MS AV never misses a beat...

And as for needing special tools to remove AVG, or anything else from your computer, download a copy of 'regscanner'. It'll even get rid of AOL! ;)

Duane Meadows
12-07-2015, 6:10 PM
I user Bitdefender free! I agree with Kev about McAfee, Norton, and AVG. I used AVG for years till it slowed my PC down to useless. Avast(free anyway) is just to annoying with pop-ups trying to get you to upgrade.

Bitdefender is pretty unobtrusive, although it is also a tad heavy on memory usage if you don't have a lot to begin with. It is also one of the best rated, although that tends to change often.

Oh, Windows 10 has been working very well here. Been using it since the first pre-release last Oct -Nov(2014). Considering I had mostly been using Linux, that say quite a bit!