PDA

View Full Version : Encouragement if you have Turner's Block

Brian Kent
12-05-2015, 1:59 PM
One thing that has made my woodworking life much more satisfying is to recognize my annual work patterns. It is OK that for 2 to 3 months each year I do very little turning. I now know this is seasonal and normal for me, and that the inspiration and energy always returns.

There are a couple of factors in my life. YMMV.

I have seasonal mood changes based on the amount of light. I discovered this while living in Russia, in a place about the same latitude as Southern Alaska. But even in a place with great sunlight - San Diego - I still feel it.

My work load changes this time of year. I am a pastor and there are a whole lot of services, year-end meetings, and personal care contacts with people activities in November / December.

Another smaller factor is that people get a lot of colds this time of year. My body usually wins the battle, but it still uses a lot of energy.

So I am very happy when I get anything done in November through January. The surge of creativity returns in February through October. I hope you will not get down on yourself when you have seasons of inactivity in your shop.

Thom Sturgill
12-05-2015, 2:48 PM
For me, a symposium is the greatest inspiration to get back to turning. Our local one is the first week in Feb.

Mike Peace
12-05-2015, 4:08 PM
I have kept a sort of turning diary since I started turning about 8 years ago. My time at the lathe varies but I haven't had a month go by without turning something. When I am not inspired I may still go into my shop and do some cleanup or organizing. If I don't have a particular woodturning project in mind, I may just take a scrap of wood and turn to a cylinder about 1-1/4" x 4 to 5" long and throw in a box to turn as an angel ornament. Sometimes I will continue on to make an ornament or two. And I always find it fun even if repetitive and not particularly exciting. I enjoy turning. Here is a link to what I am talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTtQB6Jly_8

Sam Beagle
12-05-2015, 4:30 PM
I Am SO OBSESSED WITH TURNING. AFTER 6 months of turning, I needed more, I have bought almost every gouge, carbide,etc. Now I just sprung on a new 3520B. I can hardly sleep till it arrives. It's all I even think about. It's instant gratification basically.

Aaron Craven
12-07-2015, 8:29 AM
I have periods of forced inactivity... the shop doesn't have any form of HVAC (aside from the motor on the lathe itself). In the winter, I can sometimes get out there (if I shut the door and let the heat from turning warm things up). In deep summer, though, no amount of opened windows and fans sometimes can make it bearable.
ho
But I've currently found myself slammed between holiday activities and other things. There's always so much to do this time of year...

Geoff Whaling
12-07-2015, 2:28 PM
Being a hobby turner who turns for pleasure I note my productivity & creativity definitely wanes in proportion to my paying jobs work loads and stress levels. Some days I just can't motivate myself enough to turn or I know that I shouldn't turn because it will create more problems than its worth with catches usually caused from mental distractions, inattention or drowsiness (from medications). Other days I can simply zone out and turn in production mode. When that occurs I seem to achieve a mind numbing almost zen like feeling. Its a great experience wher I feel at my productive and creative best!

I also have a significant heart condition which means I am fully dependent upon a pacemaker / defib to remain active. My condition and medications have side affects which also require a little more management to remain safe at the lathe or around machinery.

It is very helpful to recognize your own particular emotional and physical limits. Knowing when you are most alert, the best periods in your daily medication cycle and most importantly recognizing when not to turn significantly improves your safety in the shop.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Stan Smith
12-17-2015, 2:33 PM
Hi. I have the opposite problem. Christmas is a mega motivator for me to turn gifts--mostly pens and ornaments. I've been giving pens to people who have helped me in some way, such as doctors, barber, gardener, etc.. I extended that to people who help our church. At last count that was over 50 that I've turned and the list just keeps growing. This has been a very enjoyable experience for me. I have taken my time doing it rather than trying to meet some arbitrary deadline.

I'm just staring to do more ornaments. The tendency might be to think that these are very easy since they are small. Well, they may not be as simple as some might think. The complexity increases as the number of different woods increases. Here's a pic of some recent ones that I've done. The first one is from a Dale Nish (God rest his soul) kit. It's from holly and ambrosia maple. The other two are from walnut and myrtlewood. The filials are from blood wood, holly, and wenge. Dale's plan calls for ebony, but wenge works.

Dave Cullen
12-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Hey Stan, where do you get the little birdies?

Prashun Patel
12-18-2015, 12:06 PM
I've had turner's block for a year now. I'm having trouble making anything new. It has been depressing. I think it's the sanding part of the project that has really made me come to fear turning a new project.

Some day I hope the magic returns.

Jon Nuckles
12-18-2015, 1:54 PM
I have gotten caught up in flat work projects for the past year or more, plus my free wood source kind of dried up on me. I've turned a couple of small table bases in the past month, and tried some Christmas ornaments. Maybe I am looking back through rose colored glasses, but I remember being more skilled than I feel today!

Mike Goetzke
12-18-2015, 2:53 PM
I have gotten caught up in flat work projects for the past year or more, plus my free wood source kind of dried up on me. I've turned a couple of small table bases in the past month, and tried some Christmas ornaments. Maybe I am looking back through rose colored glasses, but I remember being more skilled than I feel today!

Same here. I've been a long time flat work guy and bought a lathe and really enjoyed it. But, I keep getting tied down with flat work projects. At some point does one need to rid the shop of large flat work tools - like jointer & planer? I made several of my own carbide tools, bought a coring jig, and hollower and haven't had a chance to use any yet.

Mike

Mike

Brian Kent
12-18-2015, 6:32 PM
Do you use powered discs? I use a very cheap harbor freight angle drill with variable speed and go through Vince's discs at a very slow speed. When I get tired of hand sanding I switch to discs, and vice-versa.

Don Palese
12-19-2015, 3:01 AM
In the past year I've become my bride's caregiver .. My shop time has decreased dramatically. I try to get turning a couple of hours per week (not-continuous) .. but it seems that I just can't seem to concentrate on what I'm doing .. I've really noticed that my lathe skills seem to vanish .. probably because I'm not focusing on the task ... Sometime when I get in the shop, instead of turning on the lathe, I spend time running the vacuum cleaner or straightening things up ..

I've been told that I just need to take the time and get to the shop .. Easier said then done... I enjoy my lathe but love my wife !!

Sorry, this post has almost nothing to do with inspiration.
Don

Brian Kent
12-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Don, what you are talking about is so real. Thank you for taking care of your wife. She is worth everything.

Hobbies become so secondary. Sometimes they give emotional energy. Other times there is not enough energy left to "prime the pumps". What you are doing is the most creative, beautiful activity possible. Thank you.

Stan Smith
12-19-2015, 7:34 PM
@Dave

I had to go back and look in Quicken categories. I think it was a place called Floraltrim. Sorry don't have a url. If you want cardinals, I think I got them from a different place. I do have CRS.