PDA

View Full Version : Best Drill Bit Collar?

Al Launier
12-05-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm planning to purchase a set of drill bit stop collars. I'm leaning toward the split collar design, but am considering the solid collar design as well. My experience with stop collars so far is that those that are solid with the set screw tightening against the inner flute of the drill tends to cant to one side when tightening & slip when in use over a number of holes, whereas the split collar type tightens againd the OD of the drill bit & I think that may provide a more reliable stop, but???

From your own experience wgich type would you recommend & which brand is the best in your opinion?

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
12-05-2015, 11:20 AM
I've never met a drill bit stop collar that worked all the time every time. When I need complete precision, I use a plunge router and a plunge bit. I trust the stop in that. When I don't need quite that precision, I wrap a piece of masking tape around the drill bit. I make it sorta like a flag. I drill until the flag brushes the drilling dust off the workpiece. Cheap and fast.

Lee Schierer
12-05-2015, 1:58 PM
I wrap a piece of masking tape around the drill bit. I make it sorta like a flag. I drill until the flag brushes the drilling dust off the work piece. Cheap and fast.

That's what I do. When I need more precision, I drill through a stick of wood and trim it to the desired depth.

jack duren
12-05-2015, 9:03 PM
You might take a look at the no-mar drill stops. Have been looking at these for some time. http://woodworker.com/set-6-fractional-slipstop-collars-mssu-908-298.asp . Do a search on the net if they look interesting enough as you will find them cheaper. I trust a good stop collar as much as a plunge router as I have had them slip.

Geoffrey Frey
12-05-2015, 10:26 PM
I've found the split collars from Lee Valley to be good if I'm making cabinets. Those collars stayed in place for the hundred or so holes I drilled on a bookcase.

johnny means
12-06-2015, 2:12 PM
The only drill bit collar I trust is one with another collar backing it up. Yeah, I double up my collars when i need predictable precision.

Mike Henderson
12-06-2015, 2:23 PM
When I don't need quite that precision, I wrap a piece of masking tape around the drill bit. I make it sorta like a flag. I drill until the flag brushes the drilling dust off the workpiece. Cheap and fast.
That's what I do most of the time. my woodwork usually doesn't require greater precision.

Mike

jack duren
12-06-2015, 9:59 PM
That's what I do most of the time. my woodwork usually doesn't require greater precision.

Mike

I use to think that way when I was a cabinet maker. Now precision is everything in furniture making...

John Lankers
12-06-2015, 10:52 PM
I haven't used my lock collars in a long time, they cause more grief than they're worth.
Most often I reach for tape, when I need real precision or have to drill more than a few holes I drill a hole through the center of a dowel, slip it over the drill bit and use it as depth stop.