PDA

View Full Version : 9 Year Old Sawstop - Deal or No Deal?

Patrick Irish
12-05-2015, 12:43 AM
Hey Guys, I'm using a Bosch 4100 contractor saw and need a bigger one. Came across a 3hp sawstop CB 31230 model, a 9 year old industrial model. Comes with an unused HTC mobile base, Excalibur guard. It's also a 32" extension model.

Seller wants $1800. What do you all think? The age worries me a bit.

Thanks!!

Mike Henderson
12-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Unless it's been really used hard, I'd jump at it. A cabinet saw of any name brand will last many, many years.

Mike

Ray Newman
12-05-2015, 1:47 AM
From the "support " section of the Saw Stop web site, you can download the manuals. It looks like the saw manual model you are considering is: http://www.sawstop.com/images/uploads/manuals/ICS%20Rev.%202%20Manual%20V4.2.pdf

I would familiarize myself with the operation of the saw, then have the owner operate it to make sure all the electronics are operational. I would also check the arbor bearings do a test cut or two. Also determine if the motor is 1 or 3 phase. If the owner cannot run the saw, I would walk away.

Rich Engelhardt
12-05-2015, 5:52 AM
Make sure to read this thread before you get too far into things.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?237735-Sawstop-Craig-s-List-Sale-Fraud&highlight=scam

Chris Kiely
12-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Don't forget to validate the voltage - often industrial equipment is 480v or 575v.

mreza Salav
12-05-2015, 11:42 AM
If it's a single phase I'd jump on it. Mine is a year younger and 52" rails, excellent machine. They hold up value better than other brands (kinda like Festool).
If it's 3-phase you'd have to spend another $3-400 to swap motor and electric box.

Patrick Irish
12-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Make sure to read this thread before you get too far into things.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?237735-Sawstop-Craig-s-List-Sale-Fraud&highlight=scam

That's funny, I saw that exact $1200 sawstop early November. Did the online chat and walked away when they couldn't get me the serial # and needed a bank deposit instead of credit card.

John C Bush
12-05-2015, 12:31 PM
I have that vintage SS--ICS, 3hp, 220 1ph. That would be a great deal if not abused. It would take a lot of heavy use to wear it out so a hands on demo and no Nigerian banking would make it a go!!

Roy Turbett
12-05-2015, 7:34 PM
Hey Guys, I'm using a Bosch 4100 contractor saw and need a bigger one. Came across a 3hp sawstop CB 31230 model, a 9 year old industrial model. Comes with an unused HTC mobile base, Excalibur guard. It's also a 32" extension model.

Seller wants $1800. What do you all think? The age worries me a bit.

Thanks!!

Thats a very good price. I searched nationwide on CL for several months and didn't find anything close to that for an industrial model.

Joe Beaulieu
12-05-2015, 8:01 PM
I can't speak to he price, but I have had my 3 HP 220 single phase Pro model 52" cabinet Sawstop for > 10 years and it is running like a top. They are really well made saws - imho - take away the very slick protection and they are still very nice saws. I let go a beautiful Unisaw to get the Sawstop, and I think the quality is as good or better. If you are worried about the durability or longevity I wouldn't. As I said - I don't know what kind of price that is, but if you want the saw, then grab it.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Martin Wasner
12-05-2015, 8:16 PM
Don't forget to validate the voltage - often industrial equipment is 480v or 575v.

And most everything can be easily switched to run on 208/230V. Not always, but a simple piece with few components you typically can

Mike Heidrick
12-06-2015, 1:14 AM
Unless it's been really used hard, I'd jump at it. A cabinet saw of any name brand will last many, many years.

Mike

Sawstop CB model numbers tell you what the saw motor originally was - hp, phase, voltage

31230 is 3hp single phase 230v saw

The modes are
Models CB31230, CB33230, CB51230,. CB53230, CB53480, CB73230, CB73480

The 230V saws will do 208V-240V.

Patrick Irish
12-06-2015, 1:13 PM
Well it's gone. Called Friday night, couldn't go see it Saturday due to girlfriend obligations and Sunday morning at 10am it's gone. Pretty pissed.

There's a nice 3hp delta Unisaw locally for $1400 but I'm 34 years old and figure spend the $$ on sawstop with the safety feature and have it for the rest of my life.

Kinda makes me want to buy one new and finance it, get one and stop searching, be done with it. Oh well, guess I can spend Sunday cleaning the garage to make space for one soon and hit the gym to release this aggression.

David Kumm
12-06-2015, 1:32 PM
There are lots of options at the 1500-2000 range. 326616326617326618 The Rockwell 12 on the left also has a large sliding table that has been removed and is single phase with scoring. The Whitney in the picture is a short stroke slider but the fixed saws sell in the 800-1400 range plus the vfd to convert to three phase. Whitney were the top of the chain, along with Greenlee in the industrial saw market. I'm not trying to talk you out of the SS, but you buy SS for the technology, not the build. There are far better builds out there as used saws are dirt cheap. Dave

ken carroll
12-07-2015, 2:06 PM
There are lots of options at the 1500-2000 range. The Rockwell 12 on the left also has a large sliding table that has been removed and is single phase with scoring. The Whitney in the picture is a short stroke slider but the fixed saws sell in the 800-1400 range plus the vfd to convert to three phase. Whitney were the top of the chain, along with Greenlee in the industrial saw market. I'm not trying to talk you out of the SS, but you buy SS for the technology, not the build. There are far better builds out there as used saws are dirt cheap. Dave

Well said. There are many ways to injure yourself, while the sawstop technology is very clever it won't protect you at your jointer, sander etc so why stress over the tablesaw? None of my table saws is newer than 30 years old (1946, 1952 and 1984). all are superior in build to the Chinese made sawstop (which I do hear is nice by today's standards however) and all were had for less than the price of a used sawstop. Buy old American iron. Table saws are simple tools and will last decades with little care.

Mike Henderson
12-07-2015, 3:06 PM
Well said. There are many ways to injure yourself, while the sawstop technology is very clever it won't protect you at your jointer, sander etc so why stress over the tablesaw?
The idea that because there's no equivalent safety technology for the jointer, sander, etc. you should not worry about cutting your finger(s) off on your table saw is disingenuous. I worry about injuring myself on all of the tools I use. If there was an equivalent safety device for my jointer or bandsaw, I'd buy it.

Don't reject technology that can save your hands just because your other tools don't have it.

Mike

Kerry Wright
12-07-2015, 3:39 PM
couldn't go see it Saturday due to girlfriend obligations and Sunday morning at 10am it's gone.

Ouch! GF 1, BF 0 :(

Ben Rivel
12-07-2015, 3:40 PM
The idea that because there's no equivalent safety technology for the jointer, sander, etc. you should not worry about cutting your finger(s) off on your table saw is disingenuous. I worry about injuring myself on all of the tools I use. If there was an equivalent safety device for my jointer or bandsaw, I'd buy it.

Don't reject technology that can save your hands just because your other tools don't have it.

Mike
Same here.

Joe Beaulieu
12-07-2015, 6:18 PM

Mike

Well said Mike. Its why I bought mine. I would add that while the potential for injury on those other machines is still high, I don't believe emergency rooms see anywhere near as many cases for jointer or sander injuries as they do for table saw injuries. A table saw is inherently dangerous, with kick backs grabbing and pulling fingers or hands into the blade. It takes one mental slip and you are playing an entirely different game of peekaboo with your grand kids.

Just my $.02

JB

ken carroll
12-07-2015, 9:45 PM

Mike

Of course one should be cautious around power tools, hand tools, welders, you name it. However if it gets to the point where I "worry about injuring myself on all of the tools I use" as you say then I think I would get a "safer" hobby as it would not be worth the stress.
YMMV obviously......

Mike Henderson
12-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Of course one should be cautious around power tools, hand tools, welders, you name it. However if it gets to the point where I "worry about injuring myself on all of the tools I use" as you say then I think I would get a "safer" hobby as it would not be worth the stress.
YMMV obviously......
I would think it would be more dangerous to "not worry about being injured" when working with dangerous tools, than any stress from being worried.

In any case, having technology that backs me up from a safety point of view certainly reduces the "worry about injuring myself".

Mike

David Kumm
12-08-2015, 12:45 AM
We digress. Dave