PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl Bowl Natural Edge

Rich Aldrich
12-04-2015, 10:13 PM
OK, I am breaking out of the norm on this one. This burl went through our ring debarker at the sawmill and took only part of the bark off. I left the bark on that the ring debarker couldnt remove. It is maple burl about 8" diameter x 3 1/2" deep and 1/4" thick. Finished with natural danish oil, buffed and polished.

Len Mullin
12-05-2015, 12:35 AM
Some people like to take chances, I think I would have left this one for the fire-pit.
Len

Rich Aldrich
12-05-2015, 5:22 PM
Do any of you use the guard that came with the lathe? I do (along with the Trend Air Pro), but maybe I shouldn't rely on that either. I agree that there was risk, but I it isn't like I threw caution to the wind either. Very seldom do I turn over 600 RPM even for finish cuts.

My closest incident came from a clean piece of soft maple that had a crack I couldn't see. However, I use the guard and it stopped it from going any further. I was also in the rough out stage, so my speed was down. On the other hand, the wood was wet and heavy so it has more momentum.

I use the guard in the rough out phase all the time. When I am in the finishing mode, I use the guard until I am taking clean up cuts. I dont use it when I turn the inside of the bowl in the finishing phase because I am out of the line of fire. That might get me sometime.

I should have given a description of the safety precautions I use when posting a picture of a bowl like this. This will address both concerns of making sure the experienced turners are reminded and remember what to look for, as well as the newer turners.

Shawn Pachlhofer
12-05-2015, 7:46 PM
very nice! I love the inclusion down the middle.

John K Jordan
12-05-2015, 8:36 PM
Rich,

Yes, nice!

A friend of mine turns bowls and vessels with even more air than that! What he does is turn the outside then wrap the outside with strapping tape while he turns the inside. Without that the wood would certainly fly apart.

The subject of the guard came up on another forum once. You might be the only person who has ever used the guard outside a mfgr demo! Most people probably don't even know where they put the thing. I turn small, mostly spindles but if I ever go for this kind of turning I'll mount the guard.

JKJ

Jim Sevey
12-08-2015, 5:18 PM
Do any of you use the guard that came with the lathe? I do (along with the Trend Air Pro), but maybe I shouldn't rely on that either. I agree that there was risk, but I it isn't like I threw caution to the wind either. Very seldom do I turn over 600 RPM even for finish cuts.

My closest incident came from a clean piece of soft maple that had a crack I couldn't see. However, I use the guard and it stopped it from going any further. I was also in the rough out stage, so my speed was down. On the other hand, the wood was wet and heavy so it has more momentum.

I use the guard in the rough out phase all the time. When I am in the finishing mode, I use the guard until I am taking clean up cuts. I dont use it when I turn the inside of the bowl in the finishing phase because I am out of the line of fire. That might get me sometime.

I should have given a description of the safety precautions I use when posting a picture of a bowl like this. This will address both concerns of making sure the experienced turners are reminded and remember what to look for, as well as the newer turners.

I think you're fine. I wear a heavy apron and a full face shield. I wear tight fitting heavy gloves when roughing out and I have turned some pieces similar to that. I have also had some come apart on me. With a shield on the lathe and full face shield I think it's acceptable. Beautiful piece by the way- I'm jealous!

Steve Peterson
12-08-2015, 7:49 PM
Wow, that is a nice looking piece. It's a good thing you didn't throw it in the firewood pile.

Steve