PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a cracked blank.

Russell Neyman
12-04-2015, 6:04 PM
This is one of those turning projects that I wish I had taken photos during the process, but didn't, so you'll need to use your imagination. It's a piece of beautifully figured plum that has all sorts of splits and bark inclusions. Here it is almost ready for polishing
326405 326410 326411
Pretty scary, huh? Turning the exterior was a breeze. I did the usual, filling the void with
an epoxy/chips mixture, and filled the cracks with a black flexible CA glue. Obviously, I also added an inlay band of the same blue and gray chips in epoxy.

What at you don't see here is what's under that banding: I wrapped the bowl tightly with 2-3 wraps of copper wire, which I soldered and then filled over. Then, with the blank securely banded just below the rim, I was able to turn the inside. This method "saves" an otherwise lost piece of plum.

I I should add this safety tip-- whenever I turn the inside of a blank with ANY feature that might fly apart, I (a) add CA where appropriate, (2) wear a full face shield, and (3) wrap the exterior in stretch wrap.

Bill Boehme
12-04-2015, 7:12 PM
I hope that works. It looks like some of the cracks have cracked the inlay, but that could just be an illusion. I would recommend cleaning up the rim to get rid of the chipped places before removing it from the lathe.

I also have a piece of plum that I have been working on for a very long time filling cracks and waiting for it to stabilize. Plum really loves to move.

Dale Bonertz
12-04-2015, 7:41 PM
I disagree with Bill. It is hard to tell by a picture but I think the rim looks good the way it is. Helps make the piece feel old and used with a modern twist with the inlay work. The checks in the body of the piece go well with the rim. Nicely done and I to hope it holds for you.

Russell Neyman
12-04-2015, 7:42 PM
Nope. The inlay has no cracks. This is pretty stable. As far as the rim goes, I'm choosing to leave it rough. I like the contrast of "raw and barky" and the formal banded inlay. Just me.

Fred Belknap
12-04-2015, 8:41 PM
Russell Nice save. I like the idea of using copper wire soldered around the bowl. I sometimes use epoxy to fill holes and loose bark, put a couple drops of black dye in it. Most don't even notice the epoxy.

Sid Matheny
12-04-2015, 11:43 PM
That is one piece of wood I would have put in the burn pile. Glad you didn't! Great save.