PDA

View Full Version : One's made from gin and one's not.....

Michael Ray Smith
12-04-2015, 5:22 PM
Only Neanderthals are likely to get this.

Jim Belair
12-04-2015, 5:26 PM
Nice gimlet(s)

Jim Koepke
12-04-2015, 5:36 PM
Nice gimlet(s)

I had to think about it a bit.

jtk

ken hatch
12-04-2015, 6:04 PM
For Gimlets Headrick's might be OK but for Martinis it has to be Broker's....:)

Nice tray,

ken

Joe Bailey
12-04-2015, 6:44 PM
Is the next series going to feature vodka and orange juice?

James Baker SD
12-04-2015, 8:40 PM
well I thought I was a neanderthal, but I guess not. Will someone explain it to us dummies? (pm me if you don't want to spoil it for future lookers)

Gary Herrmann
12-04-2015, 10:24 PM
James, gimlets are commonly made with gin.

george wilson
12-05-2015, 8:20 AM
I only ever used gimlets to bore screw holes!! Gin grosses me out.:)

Michael Ray Smith
12-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Maybe you need to be both a Neanderthal and a drinker. The drink is a gimlet (gin and either pre-sweetened lime juice or fresh lime juice plus simple syrup) and the other thing is a gimlet brace bit.

Michael Ray Smith
12-05-2015, 10:40 AM
I guess I need to try Broker's. I'll see if I can find some.

Michael Ray Smith
12-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I'm a traditionalist. I think "vodka gimlet" is an oxymoron.

Michael Ray Smith
12-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Maybe. Or Drambuie and Scotch.

Michael Ray Smith
12-05-2015, 10:50 AM
And thanks for the compliment on the tray. It was part of one of my first woodworking attempts. Note the walnut piece at the top of the joint? That's because my first miter joints were so sloppy I wanted to cover them up. Then I decided I liked the looks of it, and I've used them on-and-off ever since, even when the joint doesn't embarrass me.

ken hatch
12-05-2015, 12:24 PM
I guess I need to try Broker's. I'll see if I can find some.

Michael,

I had to get my local RumRunners to special order it the first time but It's been on the shelf going on over eight years so someone else must like it as well. I keep it in the freezer with the Martini glasses, pour a little in the cold glass, float a drop or two of vermouth, put what ever lunch you like in the glass, and you have a Martini that will make you throw rocks at any bar made one.

ken

george wilson
12-05-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm not a drinker,but being in constant pain,I do hit myself with a vodka and pepsi every night before I TRY to get comfortable in bed. Vodka has the least taste of anything I can think of,except for the unavoidable taste of alcohol. Does help knock me out,at least.

Funny,if I take a little bit during the day,it's most likely to give me a head ache.

ken hatch
12-05-2015, 1:03 PM
I'm not a drinker,but being in constant pain,I do hit myself with a vodka and pepsi every night before I TRY to get comfortable in bed. Vodka has the least taste of anything I can think of,except for the unavoidable taste of alcohol. Does help knock me out,at least.

Funny,if I take a little bit during the day,it's most likely to give me a head ache.

George,

I'm a recent convert to a small glass of a single malt whisky just before bed. I've spent years unable to sleep all night, often less than 3 hours of sleep before old sports injuries and other effects of aging wake me. For the last month or so I've drank a little whisky before bed and the difference is amazing. I've been able to get six or even seven hours of uninterrupted restful sleep every night post BBB (Booze Before Bed). The old guys did it and I figured it was just because they liked booze but as usual, if you can figure out how folks did things before machines it usually is the best way. Works with wood and I guess with life as well.

ken

Brian Holcombe
12-05-2015, 1:43 PM
oh good, we're now talking single malts :D

Mike Allen1010
12-06-2015, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE=george wilson;2499606]I'm not a drinker,but being in constant pain,I do hit myself with a vodka and pepsi every night before I TRY to get comfortable in bed. Vodka has the least taste of anything I can think of,except for the unavoidable taste of alcohol. Does help knock me out,at least.

George, beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. given all I've learned from you, this is certainly the first time I would be so bold as to offer a suggestion; you might want to consider vodka and tonic or Pepsi and rum. Might go down a little easier:).

Like Ken, I've long appreciated the curative powers (for whatever ails you), of single malt whiskey. Before bed certainly helps me sleep.

Hats off to Michal Ray and Ken who IMHO clearly know their way around the Gin top shelf. When I was in the UK, Hendricks and Brokers were proudly poured in the finest establishments.

At last, a post where my life experience may be of some value!

Cheers, Mike

george wilson
12-06-2015, 1:55 PM
Thanks,Mike. The vodka and pepsi go down pretty well.

I can't drink tonic due to an irritable colon.(Used to love Schwepps Bitter Lemon,or whatever it was called). Rum grosses me out. I have a large bottle that I bought years ago on sale. It only gets used by guests. Chris Vesper from Australia likes it.

I tried a small sample bottle of tequila a while back. It had a whiskey taste that I didn't like.

Nicholas Lawrence
12-06-2015, 3:32 PM
This might be blasphemy to a drinker, but if you are looking for the medicinal value, a little hot water makes whiskey pretty palatable, or you could add a bit of honey or brown sugar.

Jim Koepke
12-06-2015, 3:40 PM
A little off topic, but my wife and I worked at a place with identical twin brothers as the major financial backers.

Their last name was Ginn. Their parents had a since of humor and named one Sloe and the other Dry.

jtk

John Schtrumpf
12-06-2015, 6:16 PM
... major financial bakers...
jtk
Cooking the books?

Jim Koepke
12-06-2015, 6:42 PM
Cooking the books?

Oops! That one just slipped by.

Corrected it to read properly.

Speaking of cooking the books...

Sometimes I wondered about my employers. Especially the start ups high tech start ups. Everything is going great and we should all be looking forward to a bright future, until it came time for salary revues. Then everything was in the can and we should all be happy to still have a job. A month later some miracle would come about and all the managers would get their raises or bonuses.

Working for big organizations wasn't better, only different.

I think that is why my dad decided to work for himself.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
12-06-2015, 8:48 PM
Jim, larger corporations are not much different. In a meeting where the client expressed a need, sales and management asked for a delivery date. Since a maintenance break was scheduled in eight weeks...that would be a good time for delivery. Our brass said OK, delivery in seven weeks...never consulted engineering or purchasing about design and procurement requirements, let alone assembly, test, delivery, and documentation issues. Two days later, I was pilloried by the sales rep for not having parts on order. The customer-designated sole supplier showed a fifteen week delivery after receipt of order, all the parts being custom, nothing off the shelf. That didn't matter; I was going to cost this sales rep his bonus! He was offended when I asked him "what's a bonus?" Oh yes, his father was the manager that said "OK".
Been retired for six years now...and I don't miss this lunacy.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Been retired for six years now...and I don't miss this lunacy.

Getting close to eight for me. Like you it isn't missed. The paycheck was nice, but retirement is still better.

jtk