PDA

View Full Version : The Last Thing this forum needs, but I'll ask a lathe question anyway.

Hilel Salomon
12-04-2015, 12:20 PM
I never, ever, ever thought I'd ask a lathe opinion question on this forum, but.... I still haven't gotten adequate heat for my VA shop, as I need to work on lots of things to get it reasonably comfortable. In SC, my heated shop sports a PM3520 B which I like. In VA, I have a Nova DVR XP which-although not quite as good IMO as the PM-is also fine. I have a room downstairs in VA which has great heating, lots of floor space (14' by 28') and which I seldom use, so.... I have been thinking about a 3rd lathe. I thought I had narrowed it down to either a Jet 1221 VS or a Nova Comet II. I'm pretty sure that the Jet is superior, but... Nova is $494 (including a chuck) and $160 for a stand. Jet is about $800 and more than $300 for a stand. Can there be that much of a difference? To muddy the waters, I see that the Nova 16-24 is available for $1200 including a stand. I will generally use this lathe for small bowls and spindle work, and have all the additional tools anyone could ask for (over 100 gouges, close to 25 chucks, etc.) so-unlike newbies, the lathe is all that I will need. I really don't want a Rikon, Grizzly or some other brand. Suggestions???

Thanks and forgive me for one more lathe suggestion question.

John K Jordan
12-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Oh no, be prepared for the responses! Most people recommend what they have but maybe someone with actual experience with both will have a useful comparison.
Without a good hands-on comparison I'd probably lean towards the larger swing. Sorry, I can't help with your specific question as I have a couple of Jet 1642s and a couple of Jet Minis.

You probably hold the National Chuck Acquisition record; I feel inadequate now with only a dozen. :) The PM3520 is a great lathe, I've turned on them - maybe I'll be able to get one when I grow up.

JKJ

Maria Alvarado
12-04-2015, 1:16 PM
Not sure what you plan to turn with the third lathe, but one consideration is going to be that both the Jet and Comet 1x8 spindle sizes, whereas the XP is 1 1/4X8, so you will at least need new adapters for some of your chucks. Can you move the XP into the heated space?
Of course, far be it from me to dissuade you from buying a lathe! :eek:
Happy shopping!

Hilel Salomon
12-04-2015, 2:05 PM
Thanks John and Maria. Yes I've read the lathe recommendation posts. Actually, I've heard mostly positive comments about all three. I've always answered people who ask me about the Nova DVR as compared to the PM 3520B that it came down to how heavy the blanks one was going to turn, and that at $1799, the Nova was only slightly more than 1/2 the price of the PM, but better than 1/2 the quality. In the Comet vs. Jet case, the price is 655 vs. about 1200 or 55% lower. If this were going to be my go-to lathe it would be the Jet. As for chucks, among the many I have, are two Nova's and one Grizzly, and I kept the original 1x8 inserts. I've also managed to keep an axminster dedicated 1x8 chuck with several jaws. The XP is bolted to an extremely heavy stand made by me. It wouldn't be an easy thing to move. I am sorry to add still an umpteenth lathe recommendation question. Lazy me wants one place to review the opinions.

Robert Henrickson
12-04-2015, 2:12 PM
I've done a number of extended demos on the 1221, and one on the Comet. There is no comparison -- it would have to be the 1221. I've never turned on a Nova DVR, so I can't comment on that one.

Thomas Canfield
12-04-2015, 10:19 PM
I have the Nova Comet as a second lathe to my 3520B. The little Comet is light and easy to carry for class or demo, and yes it does have lots of issues and is less lathe than the Jet. I mounted mine on a 2x12 that can be fastened down to a shop made wood stand or a "Workmate" when travel. I do use it often for smaller work and buffing over the 3520B.

Bill Blasic
12-05-2015, 6:22 AM
I recently had occasion to turn on a Jet 1221 at a hands on with Jimmy Clewes in Buffalo. I have 2 46-460s in my shop, my club has 4 of them and a few members also have them. I personally did not find the Jet 1221 to be superior to the Delta. And the Deltas that we have here in Erie have never had a problem with switches (which are readily available through Delta). Nothing wrong with the Jet but with the prices of lathes now days (including the Deltas) if all you are going to do is small stuff I'm sure the Nova will do you fine. As a matter of fact I would compare it nicely to the Jet 1220.

Hilel Salomon
12-05-2015, 7:45 AM
Thanks Robert, Thomas and Bill. The tool junky in me tells me to buy either the Jet or the larger Nova. The tiny conscience that seldom interferes, says to buy the Comet, as I will only be turning on it two months a year. There are still lots of things I can use my credit cards for with the added hundreds that I would save. I would like the hear about the issues the Comet has. I really only have very minor complaints about the DVR (banjo) and PM (tailstock) so I do want to avoid any major inconveniences.

Robert Henrickson
12-05-2015, 9:20 AM
I would like the hear about the issues the Comet has.

Lightweight and felt 'small' in comparison to the 1221 (see #6 above). I did not enjoy using the Comet II. The 1221 was another story. A minor complaint about the 1221 is that it takes a brief interval (couple seconds?) to come up to speed. After a little use I got used to it, and that ceased to be a quibble. One problem with both the Comet and 1221 is the that the tool rest post could (should?) be heavier; in cases where you want to have a longer rest, the post seems a bit skinny. When I do a 10 x 2 spindle, a longer rest is desirable but seems a little light out toward the ends. In comparison, the Rikon midi has a 1" post. I'm not sure whether I've used a Rikon midi in any of the long demos I've done at Woodcraft; I may have once but I cannot comment for sure.

Roger Chandler
12-05-2015, 9:54 AM
If I recall correctly, the Nova Comet only has 3/4 hp motor and the Jet has a 1 hp motor which is strong for its size. Our local club has 2 of the Jet 1221 units, and in the midi class, they are truly the class of the field. I have a Delta 46-460 midi with 1 hp vs motor, which is a step above the Comet model, and although it has served me well for my smaller lathe, if the Jet 1221 had been available, I would have purchased it over the Delta, which has parts supply issues.

Hilel.....I don't think you could go wrong with the Jet 1221 VS if you are sure you want to make the step down to a midi after using your 3520b.

Dan Masshardt
12-05-2015, 9:58 AM
Don't forget the rikon with pretty much the exact specs of the jet 1221. On sale for. $550 at woodcraft.

I like my 1221 but that rikon is a great value.

Hilel Salomon
12-05-2015, 1:59 PM
Hi Roger,
My club here, as well as our club in Central Va. have the Jets. I wouldn't think of getting rid of either my 3520B or my Nova DVR XP (unless I got a Robust from some consumer angel). This is just for me to turn during the very cold weather, when I don't want to freeze in my shop. Have a wonderful and happy Holiday,

Roger Chandler
12-05-2015, 5:03 PM
I was referring to my other club, the Woodturners of the Virginias, Hilel. I know that the skills center at CVW has some Jets, but I did not know if they had a 1221 Vs. That is a fine midi lathe......the best in class as far as I can tell. May blessings abound for you and yours this Christmas season!

Good luck with the lathe addition! :)