PDA

View Full Version : Sjobergs Hobby Birch Bench

Randy Linton
12-04-2015, 9:39 AM
I see that Woodcraft has the Sjobergs Hobby Birch Bench 850 on sale. Does any have any experience with this bench? I am looking at it as a supplementary bench for carving and small joinery.

george wilson
12-04-2015, 9:56 AM
I have found that even large,heavy commercially available benches are not heavy enough to not walk about when planing wood. I bought a Swiss made one for the Toolmaker's Shop back about 1986 from Garrett Wade(when they still sold woodworking benches). It cost over $2,000.00,and was still too light for planing. I loaded it's underside with wood to get it to not walk. It had legs about 2 1/2" square,and a top that was 4" thick only along the front edge where the dog holes were.

My own bench,which I made from beech,is 4" thick all the way across,with 4" x 6" thick legs and heavy other parts. I added drawers full of tools,which are always useful. Especially if you are a tool hog like me,and are always in sore need of storage.

So,I would not count on doing much joinery on such a light bench. Load it underneath with as much heavy wood as possible,and you might be able to do some light planing. You might try screwing it to a wall if possible,unless you want the bench in the middle of the floor. I would not try screwing it to the floor,as the light construction of the legs,etc.,will still rack back and forth with planing.

Daniel Rode
12-04-2015, 9:58 AM
I have a larger Sjobergs bench bit it's similar in many respects. I built my own legs, though. It's been a decent bench. After about a decade, nothing has broken. That said, I would never buy one again. I'd build one instead, especially one this small.

ken hatch
12-04-2015, 10:05 AM
I see that Woodcraft has the Sjobergs Hobby Birch Bench 850 on sale. Does any have any experience with this bench? I am looking at it as a supplementary bench for carving and small joinery.

Randy,

I looked at the Sjoberg bench to use as a portable bench to carry in my RV so I'd have something to do while I drive Miss Daisy around the country. It was no joy, I do not believe it can be made stable enough to function and while I have not priced the wood, I expect I could build a small English style bench such as the one built by the Naked Woodworker cheaper and it would be much better for joinery. For carving I haven't a clue.

ken

george wilson
12-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Excellent advice,Ken. I,too,don't know if loading this small a bench with wood would be enough. Maybe cinder blocks or sand bags?

Randy Linton
12-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your advice!
I think I'll pass.

Joe Tilson
12-05-2015, 9:36 AM
Bought the Jr./Sr. because of space. Screwed it to the shop floor. As long as you use it side to side it is OK, but length wise very shaky. I'm going to try some bracing on it. That's going to defeat the purpose of buying the smaller bench. Live and learn.

george wilson
12-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Screw the back side to the wall too!!:) That would really help.

Matthew N. Masail
12-05-2015, 10:34 AM
If the benches are as bad as y'all say I can't understand how a well known compeny isn't ashamed to produce sub par products....how do they stay In business .../-:

george wilson
12-05-2015, 10:40 AM
If they call it a hobby bench,it might be suitable for building model airplanes or stringing beads,etc..

ken hatch
12-05-2015, 12:27 PM
If they call it a hobby bench,it might be suitable for building model airplanes or stringing beads,etc..

And if you squint, it kinda looks like a work bench.