PDA

View Full Version : Walker Turner scroll / jig saw

Dave Zellers
12-03-2015, 10:22 PM
I bought this a few years ago with the idea of restoring it even though I've never restored anything. :D

Would anyone here know anything about this saw? Poking around, including OWWM, I see lots of very similar pictures but there are always a few differences. Usually in the mechanism at the end of the arm that drives the blade up and down and also some models have a tube coming off the gear box underneath the table. Anyway, it does work and seems to have the original sunlight motor that at least from what little I've read, was included on some of these saws. It sits on an old homemade wooden stand and the motor was switched from the top mount to under the table on a hinged board to facilitate easy speed changes. I'm guessing mid 1930's vintage?

Is it worth anything as it is? I haven't gotten into cleaning it up yet but there seems to be some sort of flexible boot (it's very oily and dirty) under the blade protecting the piston coming out of the gear box. It seems like that's the kind of part that would be impossible to find today.

So here are some pics and if anyone knows anything I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks, Dave

Dave Zellers
12-03-2015, 11:38 PM
Ooh- I found something in my files from when I bought it. Completely forgot I had done any research.

It's definitely a J740.

dan petroski
12-04-2015, 9:12 AM
I bought this a few years ago with the idea of restoring it even though I've never restored anything. :D

Would anyone here know anything about this saw? Poking around, including OWWM, I see lots of very similar pictures but there are always a few differences. Usually in the mechanism at the end of the arm that drives the blade up and down and also some models have a tube coming off the gear box underneath the table. Anyway, it does work and seems to have the original sunlight motor that at least from what little I've read, was included on some of these saws. It sits on an old homemade wooden stand and the motor was switched from the top mount to under the table on a hinged board to facilitate easy speed changes. I'm guessing mid 1930's vintage?

Is it worth anything as it is? I haven't gotten into cleaning it up yet but there seems to be some sort of flexible boot (it's very oily and dirty) under the blade protecting the piston coming out of the gear box. It seems like that's the kind of part that would be impossible to find today.

So here are some pics and if anyone knows anything I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks, Dave

Dave I just rebuilt a Rockwell about that vintage. I just disassembled it taking pictures where necessary being careful with the air pump assembly, it may need new lether cleaned and polished it and reassembled it. Go for It because it looks like a good machine. Dan

Dave Zellers
12-04-2015, 9:14 PM
Thanks Dan, I do appreciate the encouragement. I did start to poke around a little bit today and I must say, this seems like a very simple machine. Which means it's something even I could tackle. :)

I'm actually starting to feel like the toughest part might be deciding what color to paint it.