PDA

View Full Version : Double ended bowl gouges

allen thunem
12-03-2015, 2:44 PM
Would like some thoughts from people who use a double ended bowl gouge.
besides what i perceive to be their benefits what do the users see as any down sides to their design and usefulness
twice the tool for the same price, or slightly higher cost.

Reed Gray
12-03-2015, 3:32 PM
Well, you can have a different grind on each end. This of course requires a handle that is hollow and has a screw down, or collet chuck of some sort so you can reverse it. Handy if you travel I guess. I like the wood handles, so just pick up another tool.

robo hippy

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-03-2015, 3:50 PM
Allen,
I have several Oneway Mastergrind double ended bowl gouges. If a parabolic flute suits you I think they are the best value around. I have two single ended Oneway bowl gouges and I won't buy any more. Too much wasted metal. Double fluted is the way to go.
faust

Thom Sturgill
12-03-2015, 3:58 PM
Thompson and D-way sell unhandled 3/8 gouges for about $50 versus $80 for the OneWay. Oneway uses M4 steel which, IMHO, is inferior to either of the other 2. Handled gouges typically cost about $20 more than either the Thompson or D-way for M2 or M4 steel.

Personally I like Lyle Jameison's way - have several of each size all ground alike. When one is dulled, grab the next and then re-sharpen them all together. That way the grind stays consistent between gouges. Of course I do not have any where near as many as he does, but then he teaches with them too.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-03-2015, 4:47 PM
I have 2 Mastercuts. My 1/2" is ground for a bottom feeder on one side. The 5/8 is the same on both. I like the parabolic gouges, I think. I use the Thompson Vs for roughing. All other "smooth" cuts are done with my Oneways or Sorby. Or Ellsworth PM. I don't have a D-Way though. I feel way more comfortable with the parabolics. I have NO idea why. Perhaps the Sorby was my first gouge many years ago, and I'm just used to that.

Bill Blasic
12-04-2015, 7:43 AM
I bought one once and did not care for it, always felt that I was getting vibration. Gave it away to a friend who likes them.

Dale Miner
12-04-2015, 8:08 AM
I have a Oneway double end. Fingernail one one end, bottom grind on the other. It stays in the drawer unless I am traveling to do a demo.

When at home, it is quicker to have the gouges already handled and not have to pull the gouge, swap ends, retighten, and finally get back to turning. Price wise, if not used for traveling, two gouges with homemade wooden handles cost about the same as a double end with a store bought handle.

While it sounds like two for (a little more than) the price of one, the flute length on the single end is longer that the length of the flutes on the double.

I believe Serious makes a gouge with a full length flute. I used one of those one time and felt that there was to much vibration, and attributed it to loss of strength from the full lenth flute.

David Gilbert
12-04-2015, 8:38 AM
I bought one once and did not care for it, always felt that I was getting vibration.

I have a couple of double ended gouges and like them. I recently took a hands-on class with Stuart Batty and he commented that we shouldn't use them because of the vibration. We did some testing by banging them on a bench and there was more vibration with the double ended gouge. Perhaps I need to turn more and so I can feel the vibrations. (sounds like a plan!)

Cheers,
David

Reed Gray
12-04-2015, 11:55 AM
I would think that at least part of the vibration issue is that with the hollow handles and using set screws to tighten up the gouge in the handle, you just don't get as good of a grip on the tool as you do if it is seated in a tight hole in a wood handle. I have a couple of the set screw type handles, and have had the screws work loose. I don't have one of the collet chuck types yet.

It still puzzles me that on one bowl, one flute shape will cut more cleanly than the others, but on the next bowl is seems to be different, and this is with bowls from the same tree, wood, and even cores. All are sharpened pretty much the same, on the same wheels, and with the same nose profiles...

robo hippy

Dale Bonertz
12-04-2015, 7:48 PM
I can't see the vibration thing being an issue if you are using the tool properly. I mean not hanging over the rest very far. Same goes for hollow handles or solid in a wood handle. Just does not add up in my mind.

David C. Roseman
12-05-2015, 8:39 AM
[snip]
It still puzzles me that on one bowl, one flute shape will cut more cleanly than the others, but on the next bowl is seems to be different, and this is with bowls from the same tree, wood, and even cores. All are sharpened pretty much the same, on the same wheels, and with the same nose profiles...

robo hippy

Hey Reed, no personal experience with that, but I've heard it can happen after you've stopped for an adult beverage. ;)

Reed Gray
12-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Well, that is one excuse I can't use.... Quit drinking in 88, and quit pot in 90. Now it is just sugar and caffeine... Right about the time I quit drinking, all the 'craft' beers started coming out. Now pot is legal here and you can go to a store and buy it.....

robo hippy