PDA

View Full Version : cabinet master handles

Jim Andrew
12-02-2015, 4:59 PM
Bought some new cabinet masters on the Menards Christmas sale, and now that they have a new handle, would like to improve the 40 clamps I already have. Looked at the Rockler sleeves, says they are 1 1/16" ID, so measured the wood handles on the cabinet masters and they are 1.37, so about 1 3/8". Thinking there is no way to make those sleeves go over the handles. Was at Harbor freight today, and they have some tool dip, for handles, has anybody tried that? I sent an email to pony clamps, and they wanted more for replacements than the new clamps cost. They would not sell just the handles, but the whole assembly that slides on your bar. Anybody found a replacement handle?

Jerry Miner
12-03-2015, 1:31 AM
Have you tried wrapping the handles with silicone self-fusing tape? Adds grip.

Rescue tape (http://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-Black/dp/B000ZTK6CI)

Frederick Skelly
12-03-2015, 5:49 AM
I dont have a replcement handle for you Jim. But if you're just looking to get more friction/grip with less slippage (rather than a better shape/feel), try some of the tape that players wrap hockey sticks with.

Fred

John A langley
12-03-2015, 8:30 AM
Jim this is on the creek a while back I don't remember who posted it

Greg R Bradley
12-03-2015, 10:16 AM
When I was working in my father's shop over the Thanksgiving weekend, he had the clamps with smaller grips wrapped in Hockey Stick Tape. He credited my brother for the idea, glenn bradley here on SMC.

He said it helped his grip at 90 years of age. I have to admit, it helped mine too even though I'm just a young kid :D

Myk Rian
12-03-2015, 6:23 PM
Electrical friction tape. Cloth soaked in rubber. Great for snow shovel grips, and many other things.

Jim Andrew
12-03-2015, 8:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions of tape. Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight handle dip?

Peter Quinn
12-04-2015, 11:38 AM
I wear cloth gloves, with rubberized palms, finger tips sliced off for better tactic feedback. Pretty much makes every clamp handle easy to turn. I figure it's easier to solve the problem on one set of hands than 40 pairs of clamps. Works for me at the jointer too. A $4 pair of gloves from HD lasts me around 2 months. Also handy for reducing cuts and splinter while handling sheet goods. Just an alternative. Otherwise I'm guessing a spoke shace could make those sleeves fit in short order, perhaps warm the sleeves in slightly soapy water first to add stretch.

Dan Rude
12-04-2015, 12:01 PM
A while back someone posted they routed grooves in the handles. Another person did the Dip and then someone else replaced them with some turned ones they made. Dan