PDA

View Full Version : What tool(s) should I use?

Joe McMahon
12-02-2015, 4:26 PM
I am turning my first vase. It is walnut and about 7" overall long and 2 1/2" wide at the bottom. It is necked down about 2" from the top and then flares out to the 2 1/2" at the base. The neck opens about 7/8" and it flares to 1 1/2" at the opening. The inside is 6 1/4" deep.

I initially hollowed it out with a forstner bit, then used Easy Wood hollower #1 then #2. The part from the neck out looks OK but the part inside, below the neck is gouged and rough. It is pretty deep to use the Easy Wood hollowers.

I am not that concerned with the thickness of the walls as I am with making the inside walls smooth and the bottom flat. What tool(s) would work the best to even out the inside wall below the neck? How about the bottom?

Thom Sturgill
12-02-2015, 4:34 PM
I would suggest a hook tool for the bottom and a teardrop scraper for the sides.

Joe McMahon
12-02-2015, 5:23 PM
Thanks Tom. I ordered a Sorby RS200KT. That appears to be what you suggested(?)

Joe

Thom Sturgill
12-02-2015, 8:36 PM
If the tool will fit in the hole... I use a similar teardrop (I own that tool and the gooseneck). The teardrop shape allows for using a larger surface against the inside wall, many carbide cutters have too small a surface to give a smooth finish unless you have a VERY good smooth control of it.

A hook too is probably the best tool for cutting the bottom of endgrain turnings. Some times they are called right angle gouges.
Here is a sample of how they look:
http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/images/Catalog/Tools/HookTool_Handles.jpg

Not many sell these in the US, most make their own I think. I have been looking to find a supply for HSS as the ones I made are carbon steel. They do not hold an edge very long.

Mark Greenbaum
12-02-2015, 10:12 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-rods/=102kzs9

1/2" diameter HSS M2 steel assortments; not too awfully expensive for a 12" long piece. I'd probably opt for square stock, though, to prevent rolling over while cutting.

If the tool will fit in the hole... I use a similar teardrop (I own that tool and the gooseneck). The teardrop shape allows for using a larger surface against the inside wall, many carbide cutters have too small a surface to give a smooth finish unless you have a VERY good smooth control of it.

A hook too is probably the best tool for cutting the bottom of endgrain turnings. Some times they are called right angle gouges.
Here is a sample of how they look:
http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/images/Catalog/Tools/HookTool_Handles.jpg

Not many sell these in the US, most make their own I think. I have been looking to find a supply for HSS as the ones I made are carbon steel. They do not hold an edge very long.

Joe McMahon
12-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Apparently the Sorby won't go deep enough so I cancelled it. Perhaps this will be my last vase until I get some experience with using holowing tools.

Thom Sturgill
12-03-2015, 8:14 AM
HSS is too hard to harden/temper for an amateur. I can handle O2 or A1 steel, but they are carbon steels and only require a MAPP gas torch.

Peter Blair
12-03-2015, 9:46 AM
Thom, would drill rod work? These tools look great. Do you grind the hooks yourself. They look machined to me.
I have a hook tool that I bought, only a short one that is designed to be installed in a hollowing system or longer bar. It sits in my shop unused, I am doing some small end grain boxes but have be reluctant to try to lear to use it as I feel it may be a real 'catcher'.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Are you going to do a lot of Hollow Forms? If you're planning to, my $0.02 would be to invest in a captured hollowing system and laser. It takes all the guess work (laser) and the physical stress (captured) associated with hand held turning. When I first started HFs, I got physically beaten by the hand held tools. Any of the captured systems work and work well. They are all pricey. Many threads here on captured hollowinng systems here. I have a Monster system and I think it works really well. I can hollow all day. Also have a Don Derry system for the small HFs. His system works well for ornaments too. Don't worry about your EW tools, you can still use them since most hollowing systems have limits, and I still use my hand held tools.