PDA

View Full Version : Decent lathe for 12" bowls under $300?

Dick Strauss
09-02-2005, 5:46 PM
I want to turn some hardwood bowls and plates from split logs. I won't be turning anything larger than 12" in diameter. I'll be forming the rough shapes and removing excess material with a chainsaw.

I've looked at the the Grizzly G8691 and Cman #21712. I'm also willing to consider used lathes. I haven't found many for sale yet.

I'd like to stay under $300 for the lathe but I'm willing to go over that including tools. I know I'll need a good set of gouges. Is a 3 or 4 jaw chuck almost a necessity for bowls?

Any other suggestions for lathe models and other expenses to put in the plan...?

Thanks,
Dick

John Shuk
09-02-2005, 6:40 PM
The Jet 1236 would do nicely for you. I have one and it isn't too bad. I would go for the Jet Mini first though. I think the quality is better even though you can't turn as big a bowl. A chuck is nice to have but you could easily spend as much as the lathe. Bill Grumbine's video show some good alternatives to a chuck. He is a member here. Even if he weren't I'd say that it is probably the best Bowl turning video I've found. I would say that it would be a truly worthwhile investment to pick it up.

Charles McKinley
09-02-2005, 10:18 PM
I second getting a mini lathes with your budget limit it you can't find a used lathe. Spend the extra money on Classes or join a club to get some guidance. There are many work arounds that can be done rather than spending money that someone that has been turning for a while can show you.

Tooling can quickly cost you many times the cost of the lathe. I have heard good things about the Wilton mini here on the board. Until you get some experience and even after that there are several people here that use a waste block with a face plate to turn everything rather than a chuck.

If you get a chuck you want a 4 jaw. I have heard good things about the 4 jaw chuck from penn state.

Search Face Plate and Waste block on the turning forum.

The tools can all be used on a large lathe if you really like turning. The smaller lathes are fun and versatile. They can easily be sold or kept around for small things and showing people.

Roger Bell
09-02-2005, 10:44 PM
If you live in or near a reasonably large city, you might try Craigslist for used lathes. I see them (mostly used Craftsmans) for $100-$400 all the time with about $200 or so being about average for around here. In Portland, I see at least a couple a week. Some will even come with tools and assorted extra stuff. Any good lathe book will discuss what to look for in buying used. You might consider watching the Craiglist while also taking a look at the newer offerings (Jet Mini, Harbor Freight, etc) that are also within your price range. If you can wait a bit and stay diligent, you can find something used and very reasonable.

For example, I bought mine (Atlas/Craftsman circa 1940 with new Baldor motor) used a couple years ago for under $400 which included about a dozen HSS tools, at least a dozen books, a stand, assorted faceplates, centers, extra toolrests, etc. Works great, does the job.....once I got started I diverted other funds to buy a fancy Talon chuck, a few more tools a bunch of videos and other nice-to-haves. Naturally, I now want a Oneway....and so it goes.

Tom Morrison
09-02-2005, 11:30 PM
I'd suggest the Harbor Freight model 34706 cast iron lathe:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34706
It's about the same as the Jet 1236 lathe, and very close in quality. I've had mine for almost 4 years now with no problems, and it also gets good reviews from owners on all the newsgroups. It's one of the few HF gems, but don't go by the display units at the stores; they're usually shabbily put together by some flunkie who doesn't know or care if it's done right, and then left there to rust. I'd wait for a sale...usually it's under $200. I paid $199 for mine, but I've seen them go for as low as $169 since then. The shaft has a morse taper #2 with 1" x 8 tpi threads on the outside...very standard, same as Jet.

I usually cut a round disk out of a piece of 2x4 with my bandsaw and glue it to the bottom of the bowl blank. Then I screw it onto a faceplate (a 6" plate was included with my lathe, but I bought a Jet 3" (I think), which is less obtrusive) and thread it onto the shaft. After I turn the bowl, I then part the bottom down most the way with a parting tool and cut the rest off with a flush cut saw. A little sanding on the bottom, and it's perfect. The Jet face plate was only about $12, much less than a chuck.

Tom

Randy Meijer
09-03-2005, 12:39 AM
.....I would go for the Jet Mini first though.....

Swing on the JET Mini is only 10".

Michael Cody
09-03-2005, 5:17 PM
I want to turn some hardwood bowls and plates from split logs. I won't be turning anything larger than 12" in diameter. I'll be forming the rough shapes and removing excess material with a chainsaw.

I've looked at the the Grizzly G8691 and Cman #21712. I'm also willing to consider used lathes. I haven't found many for sale yet.

I'd like to stay under $300 for the lathe but I'm willing to go over that including tools. I know I'll need a good set of gouges. Is a 3 or 4 jaw chuck almost a necessity for bowls?

Thanks,
Dick

There is nothing new for that price range that will swing a 12" w/o a lot of frustration. The Harbor Freight recommended above is a good lathe. I had one for 2 years and sold it to a high school student who's still using it as far as I know. But it won't turn a 12" bowl either.. it has sufficent clearance but not sufficient power.

If you wish to stay in that price range and buy new, I suggest a Jet non-Variable speed mini lathe. It will spin a 8-9" bowl w/o a problem if you keep a light touch. The VS lathe is real nice @ 300$ and the variable speed is real handy but it's not required. The non variable one will give you a 100$ bucks or so to spend on tooling .. a good mid-cost 3/8" bowl gouge (I like sorby or PN) will not set you back much. If this is your first time turning, you don't need a Glaser Gouge or the such .. you will waste to much metal learning how to sharpen. You don't need a big slow speed grinder either. It's nice but a good 6" 30-50$ grinder with a 80g white wheel will do you fine as you learn how to sharpen.. a nice chuck is great for bowls, but a lot of bowls were turned w/nothing but a faceplate & tailstock for a lot of years... it's not that much harder, lots of folks still do it that way too. All depends on how much money you want to spend.

Later when you slip down that long icy slope to the insanity that is called turning .. you will want to upgrade so start saving now. Don't say I did'nt warn you!! But the above will get you started for under 400$ and down near 300$ if you shop around. Not to mention you've got to save money for that new chainsaw, all that exotic burl stuff you see here, trips to turning events, etc... the list goes on and on..

Chris Barton
09-03-2005, 5:58 PM
Hi Dick,

I am going to depart from the rest of the replys with my suggestion. Don't even consider buying a new lathe for $300. Join a turning club or just attend some of their meetings as a visitor. Talk to the folks in the club about used lathes and get a feel for turnig first. If you try to go with a bargain lathe to turn split logs you are in for a world of grief. Do you have a bandsaw with at least a 6" cutting height? You will need this or a chain saw to rough out the bowl shapes. Also, you will need a lathe that can get down around 200-400 rpm for out of balance and this is almost impossible to find in a non-variable speed lathe. All things considered, if bowls are what you want to turn then, you need to save up and aim a bit higher. A Jet VS mini will turn a nice small to medium sized bowl but, it runs about $350 (I have one and it is a great lathe). However, most people who want to turn bowls want to turn larger than what the Jet mini can produce. I would consider a used Jet 1642 as a near ideal lathe for the cash strapped turner. If you can find one used in good condition I would expect to pay between $1-1.2K. Then a bargain chuck can be had from Grizzley for $40. Gouges are going to run between $100-1,000 for what you will need to turn bowls and such. SteelX makes a decent set that includes a large bowl gouge for $100. You will need a way to keep the gouges sharp so if you dont have a grinder with a white aluminum oxide wheel then you will need one of those as well ($100 should cover a cheap grinder and wheel) and a jig for the gouges like a Wolverine.

So, bottom line unless you can stumble across a good deal in the classifieds, you are going to need a lot more money...

Good Luck!

Chris

Andy Hoyt
09-03-2005, 6:51 PM
Hey Dick - Go into the user control panel and update your profile with your location. If other creekers know where you are, they might be more inclined to personally invite you to a club meeting or let you know of a used machine nearby; etc etc.

For instance, I know of a great machine available in Tenants Harbor, Maine that's dying for a new owner. No, it's not mine; but I can point you towards it. Of course, for all I know, you're in Smackdab, Missouri; and this might be too far for you. Then again...

Robert Tarr
09-03-2005, 7:18 PM
I bought the Yorkcraft lathe. It is a copy of the Jet mentioned above(actually think it may be the same one...)

Cost less than $300 and I think it is a great starter lathe. Should leave money for a decent bowl gouge.

Take care and tell us what you decide...

Robert

Robert Tarr
09-03-2005, 7:23 PM
After my post, I went to the Yorkie website to grab a link and I can't find my lathe on the website...might still be worth a call though.

Good luck..

RT

Keith Burns
09-03-2005, 9:09 PM
Where are you located ? I have a Rockwell/Delta 12" x 36" we could maybe swing a deal on if your close enough.

Dick Strauss
09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Keith,
I'm just outside of Toledo, OH. It looks like you are about 650-700 miles from here. If you were to sell your Rockwell12x36, what would be a good price? I might be willing to pay for shipping for the right machine.

Andy,
I might be willing to pay for shipping if I can get a good deal on a good older tool. What type of lathe does your buddy have and what does he/she want for it?

I've run across a couple of older behemouth Powermatic lathes within 150 miles of my house. I think the 600lb lathes are more than I need but the price is right if I can get one home. I think that I can get it onto the truck but getting it off and into position is another matter. Any bright ideas on how to move this thing? I think the guy has two if anyone else is interested in one. I'm waiting for some more details on the machines via email. I don't know if they are 1PH or 3PH.....

Are there any people that turn in the Toledo, OH area that might be willing to give me a quick lesson or two in exchange for some help with another project?

By the way, if power for the little lathes are the problem, I know where I can get a 50 HP Lincoln Electric motor for under $100. Maybe I can swap it in place of the stock motor (ha-ha). I'd be able to turn a 6' tall/48" wide bowl with that monster combination. Too bad the rest of the lathe wouldn't hold up long with that kind of power! Come to think of it that thing could power every tool I'd every need/want via and belt system. Now that there would be funny (cable guy)!!!!!

Thanks,
Dick

Earl Eyre
09-04-2005, 1:48 AM
If you can get a used Powermatic in that price range grab it! A 12" bowl is going to be heavy and you need the weight. It's not just a bigger motor on a small lathe. I blew the bearings on a Delta trying to turn stuff too big for the lathe. You need weight, heavy duty bearings, mass, and power to turn big bowls. A used Powermatic will do it and it would be a bargain at that price. Half this group would grab one in that price range. It will keep you happy for a long time. You can take the head stock, taill stock, and even the base off to move it in pieces.

If you don't have 220v in your shop, install it. You won't regret it. You can turn small stuff on a big lathe but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe.

Earl

Andy Hoyt
09-04-2005, 9:25 AM
Dick,

Here's a link to our club's website for sale page.

http://www.mainewoodturners.org/html/stuff_for_sale.html

It's at the bottom of the page

Charles McKinley
09-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi Dick,

I would love a line on one of the Powermatics after you take your pick. It would depend on what direction they are from you and the specs. if they are three phase you can run them off of single phase converter that will also give you speed control.

Dick Strauss
09-05-2005, 9:23 AM
Chuck,
I'll let you and the rest of the board know once I get more info and confirm availability.