PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Power Carver Question

Dave Bunge
12-01-2015, 9:58 PM
I'm close to pulling the trigger on purchase of a flex shaft rotary power carver, most likely the unit from MasterCarver. My question is about the speed control options.

One type uses a foot pedal to control the speed and has the drive motor hanging.

The other type uses a rotary dial to control speed and the motor sits on a horizontal surface:

What are the pros and cons of each type? Is it really important to be able to continuously vary the speed like you can with a foot pedal? Can you just take your foot off of the pedal when you want a steady speed? What do you hang the drive motor from? I'm imagining a stand like they use for IV's in the hospital.

The hanging model with foot pedal is cheaper. I guess I'm wondering what I'd be giving up if anything by buying it instead of the table top model.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Dave

John K Jordan
12-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Dave,

I have two Foredom rotary carvers and I currently have a foot pedal on one I've had for a long time and a rotary speed control on the new one. I like the rotary control better because the speed is constant and my foot doesn't get tired with extended carving. I suppose the foot pedal would give finer control or a quick way to turn it off. I'll probably try to find a rotary control for the new Foredom.

One friend told me he uses the foot pedal sideways for less fatigue. I haven't tried that yet.

Both Foredoms came with the foot pedal. I bought the speed control separately - it is a fairly cheap control advertised to control a router. I plug the Foredom into the speed control and hang the speed control where I can reach it.

JKJ

John K Jordan
12-01-2015, 10:49 PM
PS, I keep forgetting there is a carving section here! I posted a picture of a carved bowl in the turning section, maybe I should put it here too. Also, maybe someone would be interested in some chip carving pictures.
JKJ

Dave Bunge
12-02-2015, 8:31 PM
John, thanks for the information. Good to hear that it's easy to convert the foot controlled motor to a rotary controller.

I'm curious about the hanging motor vs the motor that sits on a table. Is it a hassle to find somewhere to hang the motor? What do you typically hang yours from? It seems to me that the table top motor might be more convenient if I wanted to use it in different locations around my shop.

John K Jordan
12-03-2015, 10:01 PM
I hang mine various ways. I keep one by the lathe and hang it on a long deck screw in the wall. The other one I hang on a screw or from a hook near my carving table or from a bent piece of wire.

I think Foredom also offers a stand but I was too cheap to buy one. Would be easy to make one from wood or metal and clamp it to a table, etc. I know a guy who clamps a stand in his vise.

I don't think I would like one that sits on the table since my tables are always covered with stuff.

JKJ

Dave Bunge
12-05-2015, 6:53 AM
Thanks John for the additional input. A friend loaned me his table top style unit. I'm going to try it this weekend and see. I do have that same problem of all my horizontal surfaces being cluttered with stuff, so hanging might be the way to go for me too.

John K Jordan
12-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Depending on the length of the shaft and the reach needed it might hang on the edge of the table. I did that once.

I have built small free-standing shelves just to hold things that would otherwise take up too much valuable desk/table space.

Joe Butler
12-11-2015, 2:38 AM
I have a Mastercarver with the rotary dial since about '09. If I were to replace the one I have, it would be with a similar set up. I also have an air turbo unit that is foot controlled, I prefer being able to set the speed control and concentrate on what I'm doing I set the unit a table that is about elbow high just to my right, with the shaft face to the back of me and the shaft making a gentle curve appox. 180° back to my work. never had any problems. . .JoeB

Marvin Hasenak
12-12-2015, 2:43 AM
I have hanging units with a both a desk controller and foot pedal. I find that I can set the speed and work without my leg and foot trying to go to sleep on me with the desk controller. I have better speed control and I have no problem dialing slower or faster speeds on the desk top controller. I can also switch back to the foot controller, but rarely do it. Mine are Foredom and Wecheer brands, with one Foredom desk top controller, just unplug one and plug in the other when I need to switch.

Dave Bunge
12-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. Mastercarver with rotary dial speed controller is now officially on my Christmas list. It's already on order if I'm not mistaken.

Dave

Joe Butler
12-15-2015, 2:37 AM
In my opinion, good choice. . . JoeB

Jim Finn
01-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Dave, I have a Mastercarver with the table mounted speed control also and it works great. I also bought the reciprocating carver from Mastercarver and it works great. It is like a mini jack hammer with replaceable gouges installed in it. Cuts fast and no dust.