PDA

View Full Version : Magnet Bar on Back of Grinder

Bob Bergstrom
12-01-2015, 9:13 PM
I had a tool bar attached to the wall some 6' behind my grinder. I looked the other day and it had a considerable amount of grinding dust stuck to it. I thought if it could catch that much at 6' let's see what it can do attached to the exhaust ports. Looks to be worth while. With the plywood spacers to allow my D-Way wheels, there is good air flow at the exhaust port.

John K Jordan
12-01-2015, 10:54 PM
I found fine steel dust on some super magnets on the back side of my bandsaw no where near the grinder, at least 10 ft away! Evidently the steel dust floats a long ways in the air.

I like the magnetic pickup. Might be hard to clean. Maybe an electromagnet that turns off when the grinder is turned off and drops the dust into a tray.

JKJ

Jimmy Edwards
12-02-2015, 2:54 AM
You can also put a magnet in a sandwich baggie type of wrap. The magnet never gets metal on it, or water. I have a rare earth magnet in a small plastic pouch in the water tray on my tormek and one on the outside holding it down

Geoff Whaling
12-02-2015, 3:55 AM
You can also put a magnet in a sandwich baggie type of wrap. The magnet never gets metal on it, or water. I have a rare earth magnet in a small plastic pouch in the water tray on my tormek and one on the outside holding it down

The newer Tormek's include the magnet in the water tray.

Bob Bergstrom
12-02-2015, 8:51 AM
I
I found fine steel dust on some super magnets on the back side of my bandsaw no where near the grinder, at least 10 ft away! Evidently the steel dust floats a long ways in the air.

I like the magnetic pickup. Might be hard to clean. Maybe an electromagnet that turns off when the grinder is turned off and drops the dust into a tray.

JKJ

I think I'll try a rapping it with Saran Wrap. That should pull off easily. As long as I don't try blowing it off with a air hose.

Curtis Myers
12-02-2015, 11:21 AM
I did a similar thing with magnets. I cut the bottom off of a plastic 5 gal paint bucket. I had some magnetic strips with the tape on the back lying around. I cut the magnets in about three inch lengths and stuck them on the cut off paint bucket bottom in three rows. Then I put clear packing tape over the magnets to keep the dust from going in between and under the magnets and it making it easier to remove the dust. The paint bucket bottoms were then mounted around the wheels like shrouds. It captures about 95% of the metal dust. I use a popsicle stick to remove the dust from the contraption.

Reed Gray
12-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Considering how far these particles spread, it may be time to come up with a hood that works kind of like my sanding hood and covers the entire grinder. It still astonishes me that the metal particles are fine enough to float.

robo hippy

David Bassett
12-02-2015, 3:05 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble imagining this is a problem unique to CBN wheels since the metal should be (mostly) dull tool removed during sharpening. I suspect friable wheels create enough dust of their own we just don't notice the metal dust. Though perhaps the CBN wheels create a finer metal dust. Hmm... Thoughts?

At any rate the dust collection ideas for grinders are appreciated. Thanks.

Bob Bergstrom
12-02-2015, 5:21 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble imagining this is a problem unique to CBN wheels since the metal should be (mostly) dull tool removed during sharpening. I suspect friable wheels create enough dust of their own we just don't notice the metal dust. Though perhaps the CBN wheels create a finer metal dust. Hmm... Thoughts?

At any rate the dust collection ideas for grinders are appreciated. Thanks.

I would imagine the frit would have a lot to do with it. A 400 grit CBN would stay in the air longer than a 80 grit one. The friable dust from a oxide wheel can't be good no matter what the grit.

Brian Tymchak
12-03-2015, 9:08 AM
I recently bought the Steel City 8" grinder while there were still a few left on the market. Although I have yet to set it up, one of the things I like about it is that is has mostly enclosed wheels with dust collection ports on the wheel housings and a hose adapter for dust collection. I'll set up a small dedicated shop vac under it when I build my sharpening station.