PDA

View Full Version : White fuzz (mold?) Growing on my stack

Jared Sankovich
12-01-2015, 7:25 PM
What can I do to stop the spread and growth of the white fuzz that is starting to cover my drying stack?

Cody Colston
12-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Put a fan on it and dry it faster.

Danny Hamsley
12-02-2015, 7:47 AM
What species are you drying?

Todd Burch
12-02-2015, 8:31 AM
Sounds like a fungus. Got a pic?

ryan paulsen
12-02-2015, 8:58 AM
A picture would help...is the stack stickered? What is the spacing? Indoors or outdoors?

Jared Sankovich
12-02-2015, 3:03 PM
What species are you drying?

Its Poplar

Jared Sankovich
12-02-2015, 3:08 PM
A picture would help...is the stack stickered? What is the spacing? Indoors or outdoors?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/rps20151202_150221_079_zpsocr6mkpq.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/rps20151202_145958_653_zps2lomovw5.jpg

Todd Burch
12-02-2015, 4:22 PM
My guess - lack of air flow.

Bill McNiel
12-02-2015, 9:02 PM
My best guess would be lack of air flow

Scott T Smith
12-03-2015, 8:47 AM
What can I do to stop the spread and growth of the white fuzz that is starting to cover my drying stack?

Jared, in another post I advised you a couple of weeks ago that your lumber would not dry well in that environment. The air drying process requires air flow to work. The mold is developing for two reasons. First, your lumber is stacked indoors where rh% levels may be higher than out of doors, and second your stacks are located where they lack adequate air flow or adequate plenum spacing adjacent to the stack.

To solve the problem, move the lumber to a covered location where it has access to a prevailing wind.

If you must keep it inside a building, relocate the stacks to where you can place fans on one side of the stack and have adequate clearance between the stack and the wall for the moisture ridden air to escape. At a minimum the stack should be no closer to the wall than the sum total of tour sticker spacing. As an example, if your stack is comprised of 35 layers with 1" thick stickers, it should be at least 35" away from an obstruction on the discharge side of the stack.

Also, if you air dry indoors open up some doors and windows in order to allow drier air from outside into the building.

ryan paulsen
12-04-2015, 9:42 AM
Jared, in another post I advised you a couple of weeks ago that your lumber would not dry well in that environment. The air drying process requires air flow to work. The mold is developing for two reasons. First, your lumber is stacked indoors where rh% levels may be higher than out of doors, and second your stacks are located where they lack adequate air flow or adequate plenum spacing adjacent to the stack.

To solve the problem, move the lumber to a covered location where it has access to a prevailing wind.

If you must keep it inside a building, relocate the stacks to where you can place fans on one side of the stack and have adequate clearance between the stack and the wall for the moisture ridden air to escape. At a minimum the stack should be no closer to the wall than the sum total of tour sticker spacing. As an example, if your stack is comprised of 35 layers with 1" thick stickers, it should be at least 35" away from an obstruction on the discharge side of the stack.

Also, if you air dry indoors open up some doors and windows in order to allow drier air from outside into the building.

x2. Increase air flow through the stack, as well as air exchange in the building. If I remember correctly, this lumber is all freshly milled. If that's the case, it will be giving a ton of moisture to the building, which needs to be removed.